Archinect
anchor

Naming

JeromeS

I am hanging a shingle for a tiny solo practice in a rural community where I spent much time as a child and graduated high school.  I do not live in the area, but my family home is still there and my brother and family still live in town.  As such, I am beginning to think about a firm name and am looking for perspective.

My practice will primarily evenings and weekends and I plan to be choosey about what projects I take on - as I have a full-time job that I am happy with.  The work will be primarily residential, second homes or light commercial.  I'm not in a position to do any public work and there is not much else.

I think I'd prefer to use a name that is something other than JeromeS, Architect;  As I am not really trying to be urbane or too sophisticated, the name can be a bit more whimsical.  I am thinking about a geographic feature fixed to the words Studio or Design or similar iteration.  In my head, I hope the geographicality bridges the community where I have some ties, to the community over the hill where I want to target some work.

Anyway - Thoughts on naming a firm?

Mar 12, 15 10:19 am
curtkram

where?  can't really help tie you to the community without knowing the community.  is this madison county iowa, since you're talking about bridges?

rural studio is already taken.

Mar 12, 15 10:27 am  · 
 · 
-------

"I am thinking about a geographic feature fixed to the words Studio or Design or similar iteration."

I like this idea, as long as you intend to produce work that relates to the area in such a way that it feels appropriate. For example, I think the name Rural Studio accurately describes that program and the tone of its output.

Mar 12, 15 10:30 am  · 
 · 

One of my instructors, the late great Bob Timme and his partners named their practice after the street that their office was located.

Mar 12, 15 10:48 am  · 
 · 
-------

Having thought about this question a little longer, there is at least one disadvantage I can think of regarding this naming method: if you pick a name that is too geographically or regionally-specific prospective clients may question your ability to produce good work outside of that context, should you choose to pursue it. Going back to the Rural Studio example, there are probably some people who would question its ability to produce work for an urban context simply because of its name.

Mar 12, 15 10:52 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I wasn't really asking you to choose a name for me and I never suggested Rural Studio.  I didn't tell you what community so as not to be too personal.  I'm not asking YOU to tie me to the community - that's my job.

I'm asking about your reaction/feelings regarding a whimsical name as opposed to something else.  After all we seem most familiar with the technical sounding names (Arquitectonica) and the personal names (Stern, HOK, similar). 

What other feelings do you have about naming a firm?

Mar 12, 15 10:54 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

^^jw468

There is NO urban.  I'm not worried about that.  There is barely a rural.  The largest town- 40 minutes away has 5000 ppl.  The summer residences however do swell the population and draw in money and potential clients.

Again- I no longer live in the area.  I am willing to commute back for pet projects, but I am not looking to have a broad reach and am ok with a regionally centric name...

Mar 12, 15 10:58 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Think one of the biggest mistakes I made was never putting my personal name on any of my businesses....practically when going small or tiny all you got is you, that's what you're selling... Rural Studio is a concept, a collaboration, something passed on from generation to generation..... if that's what you're selling that would be fun otherwise people need to know who you are when you drop into the local hardware store.

Sounds like a sexy idea, can't tell you how many storefronts I rented in my mind as I drove through old towns in my life.... think the "satellite" approach is smart.

Mar 12, 15 10:59 am  · 
 · 

What ever you pick whether it has your name or a fictitious one, you are going to be stuck with it. Think very carefully about a whimsical one though, you do not want to be considered a joke.

Mar 12, 15 11:05 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

^^Carrera

being generic - for personal reason;  I'm thinking of business cards and titleblocks saying something like:

Big Mountain Designworks

JeromeS, Architect

That said - my name will be there, but I can have more fun, if you will with another name...

^^Lye_Nerd

Street name is on the current list...

Mar 12, 15 11:06 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Jerome, I don't know, you're talking to a marketing guy.... we all love sexy names... was going to start a studio once and name it "The Bakery" until I realized that I'd be bothered all day with people coming in looking for bread.... if it's a concept then a concept name works but if it's houses & cottages it's people to people and the firm name needs to be a person. Unless your name is Harry Butt I'd put my name on it and turn your attention to a fun logo to put next to it that telegraphs your dreamy concept.

Mar 12, 15 11:26 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

^^Carrera

Thanks for the thoughts.  While not "Butts" it is a complicated Polska name that no one can pronounce.

One of my early experiences was with a firm named North Country Team - somehow we worked without confusion, but again small community.  This was also in the days of yore; before the internet, when people drew by hand...

I do intend to utilize a logo service like 99designs or similar in order to get out of my head and a "dreamy concept".  I think that can help but at the same time will need to narrow the field a bit.

Mar 12, 15 11:35 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Jerome, well a complicated name can be a problem, I have an easy name but never liked it, but I should have worked past that. The problem I see with most generic names is they don't define the product or service but need to, especially in a small town/market. Always liked but wondered about names with "studio"... when someone sees your choice it should not raise a question mark but a exclamation point....." 5th Street Studio" may make you feel good but "5th Street Architects" defines.

Mar 12, 15 11:55 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

point taken...

Mar 12, 15 11:56 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Are your clients mostly young and hip or older and traditional? I believe the trendy, clever names would attract more of the former and your name, architect would attract the latter.

With exception, of course.

Mar 12, 15 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

my 2 cents: seems you are selling a dream, not your name. I would brainstorm about what dream you are selling and give it a name to sell that dream. 

Mar 12, 15 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

good comments - now we're talking...

Mar 12, 15 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

^^  I am aware of this- its a simple form with a $25 fee- no big deal

Mar 12, 15 1:40 pm  · 
 · 

Personal service, personal name. Unless it's Shicklegruber or Dahmer I can't imagine why you wouldn't use it. 

JS Design, JS Architecture, or JS Studio, but not JS Architectural Design Studio, which is just pretentious.

Mar 12, 15 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
How about King Gruen Architect?
Mar 12, 15 5:54 pm  · 
 · 

Unless you can dunk with three guys hanging on you, no.

Mar 12, 15 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

What's sort of sad now and these days... Some of it is going to take some work to find a open domain name and business name that isn't already out there.  So make a list....  You don't want JeromeS Architect if the only close domain name is "puffdaddyJerome_bitchinarchitect" dot com.

Anyway... it isn't as easy as just a name anymore.

Mar 12, 15 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

And that's what originally prompted a fictitious name- registering a simple domain was not easy.  With a fictitious name it gets slightly easier

Mar 12, 15 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
haruki

The most famous novelty firm name that comes to my mind is Morphosis. Even though it is cute and jokey when their architecture isn't, Thom Mayne has somehow managed to make it work. OMA is a more serious made up name that also works but then I think it fits their work better. It gives you an idea of what they do.  Then there is FAT Architecture. I suppose that name fits with their work too. Design, Bitches is a great firm name that definitely gets attention. Design, Bitches are the only current/young/not baby boomer architects that I can think of who don't just use their own names plus "architect" or "architecture." 

Mar 12, 15 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I like the name Morphosis for a big firm but would feel a little impersonal for a small firm.  Your first and last name followed by "design or studio" is always the most personal and comforting firm name.  

Mar 12, 15 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Miles, I can dunk some donuts with 3 chix hanging off me does that count?
Mar 12, 15 10:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: