Archinect
anchor

Portfolio review

leriot

Hi! I need some critique for my academic portfolio. I've submitted it for the USA schools already and now I want to polish it a bit before sending to the European ones. (Plus, I will rearrange it for a professional internship hunting.)

Would very much appreciate any kind of comments, critique and advice. Be harsh on me, please.

Link: http://issuu.com/veronikavolkova/docs/portfolio_1

Mar 5, 15 4:03 pm
verticalgaze

There's no text hierarchy so some pages get lost in the clash between elements. I'd shrink words and enlarge images (mainly talking about the project description parts).

The bottom non-page number is annoying. Don't include it--it feels like looking through stock image galleries with all the trademark and copyright crap.

Different people say differently but no profile picture. Probably best you don't make review processes harder with today's no-discrimination policies.

Mar 5, 15 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

From what I understand the age/birthday is almost a universal no-no though.

Mar 5, 15 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
verticalgaze

That first profile page should just be totally blank. Easiest way to proceed.

Mar 5, 15 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
leriot

@verticalgaze Thank you! Now that you've mentioned, I see how bad the footers are. I will definitely change them and get rid of the repeating text.

@natematt, @verticalgaze Oh.. I wish I knew that all along:( Seen too many sexy portfolios with nice photos. Thanks!

@Pandekage Thank you! And do you know about Asian policies? I'd like to apply to Japanese or Chinese offices also...

Mar 6, 15 1:59 am  · 
 · 
natematt

I wouldn’t worry about the past use. Given your information I doubt it’s caused much discrimination. I think most would agree you’re safer without it though.   

Mar 6, 15 2:19 am  · 
 · 
leriot

natematt Hope so! Though it seems a bit strange for me as the admission officers already have of information about an applicant's race and gender... Oh, whatever, I know my photo is not the reason  for me being rejected anyway:)

Mar 6, 15 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

I think the concern is almost entirely for professional applications, not academic ones. though if they have the information it's not particularly meaningful to include.  

Good luck on things!

Mar 6, 15 4:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: