Archinect
anchor

Virginia tech VS TAMU VS U Oregon VS USC VS U Miami

I got accepted in these schools except TAMU doesn't got result. Without any funding, I can afford VT, TAMU and UO, others may be a grate financial burden. I'm an international student, considering job opportunity, location and tuition & living expense, I need to know which school is really worth the expense.

I heard VT is some kind of conceptual and UO is very pratical. Anyone has some detail information?

Mar 4, 15 11:18 pm
natematt

Grad or undergrad?

From a quality standpoint I think most people would direct you to VT in either case, even more for grad. That said, the other two seem like decent schools, so I would go with whichever seems most inline with your interests. They are in three distinct areas of the country, so considering which is closer to where you would like to work might be a valuable factor.

Mar 5, 15 12:04 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

Why are you waiting until now to seek this information? Why did you apply to any of these schools in the first place? In terms of focus, these schools are all over the place. It seems like you just applied to a bunch of second tier schools hoping you could get in (and with no plan to pay for them). 

That strategy does not bode well for you in graduate school.

Mar 5, 15 12:24 am  · 
 · 

UO isn't entirely practical oriented. It is a design school not a technical school so you'll find a good part on design theory. There are practical sides of things... too!

It is kind of a mix of theory and practical.

This isn't to bad mouth UO. I been there. It is so there isn't a false impression because you'll find some abstract theory oriented courses which might not make much sense in practice when you are taking the courses. 

Mar 5, 15 12:56 am  · 
 · 
110z

Mar 5, 15 1:21 am  · 
 · 
I go to the UO currently, and am in my fifth year as a BArch. It's been a great experience for me. The focus of the school is rather mixed in terms of being conceptual or practical. I personally have found this mix to be very rewarding, since, as I see it, architecture is a constant melding of practical and conceptual ideas.

The program here has a philosophy that students learn the most from fellow students, and the studios are pass/no pass to strengthen this idea. So, if you do decide to come to the UO, be sure to reach out to both faculty and students that you see doing things that interest you.

Whether you want to be running daylighting analysis on your designs, or describing why your design changes our view of the city, the UO has a niche for you.
Mar 5, 15 1:46 am  · 
 · 

Samuel,

I believe I may have seen you in passing by the hallways of Lawrence Hall over the past couple of years or so. Exactly, good points there. 

Mar 5, 15 3:29 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Tech has a variety of professors and view points.  Your education can be as technical or conceptual as you want it to be.  It's not going to be technical down to the point of sitting and drawing wall sections and toilet elevations all day, but it's technical enough you'll be able to walk away and function in a production firm... if you have some common sense.   I had great professors (all but one), who provided views on both sides of the theory/practice realms.  I don't think you'll go wrong going there.

I'm a little biased, though...

And who doesn't want access to a wood shop, metal shop, screen printing, printing presses, vacuum forming, laser cutters, 3d printers, pottery wheels, and more on a daily basis?  I mean really... I could be talked into doing all that stuff again.

Mar 5, 15 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: