Archinect
anchor

What's the biggest amount of work you've been able to get done within an 8-hr time bracket?

smthsmth

Hi all. Just a Random Tangent. I've been thinking about different work speeds and different abilities to accumulate energy from a certain motivator and it got me wondering, as the title says,

What has been the most you've been able to summon up the solid concentration to do within a limited timeframe due to a firm deadline and what has been that deadline?

I'm just interested to see how far the brain and effort can strain to get the job done.

Mar 3, 15 2:53 pm
x intern

this is an unanswerable question.  But assuming you're a student know this,  half or more of the time you spend on projects is unnecessary.  The trick to being fast in school is knowing whats important and not getting bogged down in the inconsequential.    

Mar 3, 15 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

full set of CDs on a mid-rise tower from a blank revit file at 9am.  

Mar 3, 15 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Entire set of CD'S many times from anything ranging from an apartment conversion to a single family house. Or an entire building in Revit for animation fly over marketing purposes

Mar 3, 15 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

More than the other guy, and probably better...

Mar 3, 15 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

And since I am clearly better than natematt. To answer the OP'S other question the longest on one professional project straight through was a free standing restaurant set of CDs, renderings, etc... 30 hours straight. I did the math thereafter and figured had made about $400/hr+.....too old for that shit now.....in school 85 hours no sleep with a few classes in between..........when you procrastinate you make the Only decision possible and therefore the right one, I strongly believe this.

Mar 3, 15 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

CD's take coordination and communication, not just man-hours on the cad station. It is hard to believe you guys. 

I regularly read whole books in 8 hours straight. 

Mar 3, 15 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

Who's got the biggest dick?

Mar 3, 15 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

What's the price of lunch?

Mar 3, 15 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Tintt...apartments and single family there is no coordination it's a one person show. For a restaurant I had preliminary FE dwgs and MEP (which is not rocket science), so it's easy if you have done it a few times. It's not like phone calls were not made days before between site meetings etc....the appearance that you are working on it is also important..........last but not least, not sure why anyone thinks the question nor responses are an ego thing. The OP wants to know so some of us who do this gave answers. If our dicks are bigger then our dicks are bigger, no need to talk about it.

Mar 3, 15 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

If my tower is 276 of wood then God bless Vienna.....tintt I am very envious by the way.

Mar 3, 15 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
smthsmth

@x intern Yes, yes, I am indeed a student and I realize my question seems vague and even ridiculous unless you've had some actual anecdotal experience which you'd definitely remember because it was an extreme fight-or-flight moment. You may be the type of person whose working style (to be read "working habits") never got you into such a situation. That's great then, I admire the stress-free life a well disciplined mind gives you.
And I do believe most of what you learn in architecture school comes down to being able to filter the inconsequential and get it out of the way. But that is great advice, thank you.

@Olaf Design Ninja_ That is a convenient concept to believe in, I will see to fully implementing it.

And indeed, I am asking people who have done this kind of thing for one reason or another, simply out of curiosity about how far we can get. I had a classmate who once did something similar to your restaurant experiment, and a year later repeated on a factory project, when in both cases it didn't seem like he'd be able to pull through. Stuff like that. No matter your working style, procrastination is always a thing and time is never quite enough. It's nice to be able to recollect some evidence that we can do anything if the circumstances pressure us hard enough.

Mar 3, 15 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

But seriously guys, this could actually be a good opportunity for some interesting stories.

So this one time I was working on a project in my office with about 15 other people. We had about a week to do a bunch of drawings for individual rooms within the project. There were around 200 split between everyone. It comes down to the day before the project is due and I get told that so and so was pulled off the project. So of course I have to rush through what I am doing and come in at 6am the next morning to rush though what was supposed to have been a week's worth of work.

They turned out better than expected.

Mar 4, 15 12:21 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

20 acres of corn.

Mar 4, 15 12:30 am  · 
 · 
smthsmth

@toasteroven I'm confused, how many bushels would that make?

Mar 4, 15 5:38 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

5 games of RISK of which I won 2.

Mar 4, 15 8:27 am  · 
 · 
x intern

it took a couple of years in school but I learned to set my personal deadline a few days before the actual deadline.  This way when the rest of the studio was freaking out I was leisurely finishing up, sleeping full nights and generally relaxing.  Its fun to be able to sit back and observe the crazy that is the studio deadline and well worth the effort of finishing up a little early (not to mention it freaks everyone else out)  If you do this though you better have a tight project because the prof sees you doing this as well and will give you unending $#@t if you can't produce something great.   

Mar 4, 15 10:08 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

4000 bushels.

Mar 4, 15 10:33 am  · 
 · 
smthsmth

@x intern I've also considered setting personal pre-deadlines but don't seem to have the discipline for it. Although it is in essence the process of bulding a type of discipline and wouldn't be necessary if proper discipline were in place to begin with. Still. Somehow, with me, at best it usually is a false start to the actual deadline and is beneficial in the sense that when I don't make the personal deadline, I can always get reassurance from the thought that it isn't in fact the actual deadline. Which kind of defies the whole purpose. It's like setting your watch 15 minutes ahead and always making the calculations when you look at the time: "Mmh, it says 9:10 but I know it's actually 8:55 so it's okay."
How did you manage to achieve holding yourself up to your own deadlines?

Mar 4, 15 2:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: