Archinect
anchor

AIA branding Improvement?!

SpatialSojourner

This morning I was perusing AIA websites looking for graduate school scholarships.  As I perused different chapter websites, I was wondering if the AIA needs a web design make over.  

The regular website is okay - I guess... It could use a fresh coat of paint (remove the gradients).  Those nifty TV commercials are nice but when one heads to the AIA sites and see web 2.0 sites it seems like it'd be a turn off and doesn't seem to match their flat IAMAIA ad design. Visiting the AIA NoVA site, it looks dated especially compared with the AIA DC site, which is one of the nicest.  The AIA LA looks clean but has dropdown nav panels that covers other navigation options.  I was wondering if the AIA could provide a custom web template to chapters to provide a consistent brand image and UX - maybe something based off bootstraps or another framework.

There was a post on Archdaily a few years ago about architects having the worst websites but for the most part, I've seen architects really stepping up their web design prowess over the past few years.  DS+R still has a terrible UX though, so, there's still room to improve.

Then, I got on the tangent of pretending to be someone searching for an architect.  The NoVA website UX provides for quickly finding a list of architects based on what I want to build, which is nice but when I get to that list, it seems long and foreboding.  Then going to the AIA DC website, it provides just a long directory which is even more foreboding.  The AIA Chicago website is the nicest in the finding of an architect with limiting criteria and an image to give users a quick overview of what style the firm does.  I was wondering if perhaps the framework could provide a nice simple profile for architects/vendors - maybe even a paid pro option that allows for more than one image - but nothing that would improve page ranking or as extensive as Houzz. 

Working for a small firm, I experienced many potential calls from people who found the firm via the Googles or Houzz - and I think besides referrals, it will be a growing trend. 

Thoughts?

Mar 2, 15 7:24 am
Carrera

First, welcome to the world of the AIA where we are taught to cower from attention. Second, ever try to find an architect? Not a firm but a person. Love the websites that have no email addresses or phone numbers. Ever type in one of those "Contact" boxes? Good luck getting a response. Don't think architects realize it but they're all hiding.

Mar 2, 15 8:36 am  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

I agree, I feel my current firm does an abysmal job with marketing but from the time I started looking at arch firm websites during undergrad to now (6 years) it's been getting a lot better for the ones I follow closely.  IE: When I was applying to firms after graduating Hitchcock Cole's website was banal and I marked it off my app list but looking at their refresh, I would fill out an app to work there now. 

I enjoyed your comments in the how to market out of local thread.  I'm excited to eventually start a firm (years away) -maybe I'm naive at how difficult it is but I look forward to it. 

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a hate on the AIA - I let my membership lapse but still think they're very influential in the profession.

Mar 2, 15 9:14 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

No problem with AIA, I just never depended on them to make a living. Things may be getting better, some places, but I don't think that info@, office@ or abcarchitects@abcarchitects is contact information. Like hok, Bill Hellmuth lists his personal email and personal phone number - not switchboard - touch the number and it will auto dial.... lists all his guys with same, calls them "experts"..... isn't that what we are? Seems proportional, the smaller a firm is the weaker the contact info and the bigger the hole they hide in.

We all dream of our own shop, but if you knew what was involved you probably wouldn't leave the house. Don't chase the finish line like I did, enjoy the journey like I didn't and you'll do fine.

Mar 2, 15 10:10 am  · 
 · 

Don't chase the finish line ... enjoy the journey

+++++ Carerra

Mar 2, 15 10:19 am  · 
 · 

Sounds like you basically want to turn aia.org into aiga.org. AIGA went through a major web presence overhaul a few years ago and is massively better off for it.

Mar 2, 15 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

I never saw the AIGA's website before it was redesigned - but the present design is the nicest looking professional organization sites but I don't know about it as a precedent for the AIA.  I'm thinking more along the lines of whatever marketing firm that is doing the IAMAIA ads should be used. Or maybe the Architect Magazine website designer? Or maybe Pentagram?

Actually I just looked at the #ilookup website (didn't realize it existed) and that's closer to what I mean... maybe a little more character to it.  The ILookUp.org looks like a simple template that they plugged things into... not as inspiring as I was hoping for the marketing  movement (a video header panning through amazing spaces would have been cool) but probably would work for the AIA. 

Mar 2, 15 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
babs

OP: " I hope this thread doesn't turn into a hate on the AIA"

OK, so I'm really just wondering why you started this thread in the first place since (a) you're not an AIA member, and (b) if you really want to prompt improvement of the website in question you would have sent your comments / suggestions directly to AIA, or to members of AIA who might actually have some influence on this matter, like members of AIA's board.

What's your point ?

Mar 2, 15 2:20 pm  · 
 · 

I suppose I should clarify what I meant by it basically being like the AIGA website, because several things you said made me think of it in particular. The local chapters have been brought in line to a certain extent, which they weren't previously and definitely helps to brand them. The other thing is the quick links at the top—"Find a Job / Find a Designer / Find a Chapter / Find a Student Group"—immediately address the difficulty you had in your role playing experiment. 

And it should be the best-looking professional organization, considering what we/they do! On the other hand, I find the other organization I belong to, SEGD, to not work nearly as well despite having a similar market and many overlapping constituents: https://segd.org

The ilookup website is definitely more engaging than the aia one, but lacks a certain gravitas. My inclination would be for something in between as far as tone goes, yet more than either.

Mar 2, 15 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

Yes, exactly that - An easily decipherable path for non-architects to learn about the process and then move them into finding an architect in their area. Then they can go from the AIA website to the Chapter website which has the same style as the main AIA and makes it easy for them to find and select an architect. 

The ilookup website seems like it's searching for a meaning - it's almost more geared for architects to post cool photos and not really educate the importance of hiring an architect/how to hire one. 

Mar 2, 15 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
Well there are lots of different angles to this conversation, all of which would be valuable for us to discuss publicly so the AIA (I'm a very active member) can see the feedback.

I'll just start by pointing out that the AIA's Repositioning initiative will address a big problem (IMO) among Chapter websites: the lack of cohesion. Change is coming....
Mar 3, 15 9:56 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

"Change is coming...." Timeless words which are other words for "Keep waiting....". It would be ill advised for one to rely on the AIA for any form of marketing because they're not good at it. Kind of like being stuck in the middle of a lake and expecting someone who can't swim to come save you. Budweiser knows marketing the AIA doesn't. Think I can remember the AIA telling us all "Change is coming...." 40 years ago.... stilllll waiting.

Mar 3, 15 10:27 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Hasten to add Donna's beautiful words from the AIA..."Repositioning Initiative".... that's what they're  good at, real good at... you can find them under the hood changing the fluids, cleaning, tires are also immaculate and safe, but the car has a severe lack of power and is covered in rust.

Mar 3, 15 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Over a year ago the Dean of Petroleum Engineering at Texas A&M sent a letter to all students enrolled in their program. In it he pointed out that all the petroleum engineering schools were on track to graduate about 2,000 engineers a year for a industry that historically had places for about 1,000. He based his information on various industry groups, individual oil firms, and the school's own professors' input. His message was clear in that the students might want to consider related fields of study in the event the industry had a downturn. A degree in mechanical engineering, civil engineering, geology, marine engineering could provide an easier transition to other industries should the petroleum industry tank. And tank it has done. This kind of common sense advice used to be what professors did. Where in the world are the architectural profs and deans? As for the AIA? Really.

Mar 3, 15 11:50 am  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

Thanks Donna, that's what I was wondering...  Do you happen to know the time frame? 

@Carrera What do you think should be the AIA's role/ Do you think it has a purpose to exist?  For me, I'd like it to have relevant lectures by architects /workshops on cutting edge technology... or maybe courses for recent grads in CDs/Practice/things missing from the 100K college education.     

@babs, I wake up 4-5am to and it was a random thought that I saw great potential and wanted to discuss the branding of the AIA.  I'm very interested in branding/marketing in this internet era.  During the free 18 months I was involved in my AIA Chapter but I couldn't justify the dues (Most of the stuff the Chapter does is continuing education and beginner Revit courses which isn't particularly geared towards me)  so I withdrew.  I went to an NYC AIA lecture series and it was phenomenal, if I was in NYC I'd probably pay for membership.

@Volunteer I think that an architectural education positions graduates for other design professions.  Maybe the missing professional practice courses in school allow for this...  guess it doesn't make students too tailored to architecture.  There are plenty of examples of architecturally educated people founding tech firms, fashion designers, car designers, web design, ect ect.      

Mar 3, 15 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Spatial, I think National AIA is terrific, but we are talking about branding & marketing, don't rely on it. Do I think there are things they could do with branding & marketing? Absolutely. But I wouldn't buy any stock in the idea.

Mar 3, 15 12:51 pm  · 
 · 

Spatial Sojourner: I am in DC at the AIA Grassroots convention right now and have been asked to participate in a focus group on "digital transformation" on Thursday. I'll let you know what I learn and can share!

Mar 3, 15 10:50 pm  · 
 · 

Girls. Hot girls. In bikinis. Frolicking. That's how to sell the AIA.

Hey, it works for everything else.

Mar 3, 15 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

It would be interesting to hear what's happening at the AIA Grassroots convention... I'm in DC but never really think about the national AIA & NCRAB being here. 

Mar 4, 15 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

This is AIA's 2015 TV commercial schedule, have to say it was more than I expected.

http://www.aia.org/practicing/AIAB105475

Mar 4, 15 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

Oh wow, that's quite a bit of slots, must have cost a bunch - it's a shame that the destination website isn't better - Should have cut a few slots and put that money into the site.

They had Pharrell as the keynote a while ago, should of done something like this: http://24hoursofhappy.com/

I guess the government PAC is interesting on the agenda... and nothing is complete in the AIA without an Awards Luncheon!

Mar 4, 15 3:43 pm  · 
 · 

Was at the gym saw the AIA TV add on CNN

I don't know what to think, probably not a good add. Did not stand out as anything to do with buildings just some cgi graphics flopping about on the screen.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Mar 4, 15 4:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: