Archinect
anchor

Laptop resolution HELP!!!!!

tx16

I am a new architecture student in the United States. My school's official website requires the students to buy a 15" laptop. Normally, the 15" laptops have 1920x1080 configurations. However, I want to get a well-functioning laptop that won't be outdated after 2-3 years. Is it necessary for me to purchase a 3840x2160 ultra HD laptop? OR Is it good to stay with the 1920x1080 resolution? ARE there any laptops that you guys want to recommend? 

P.S. The attached picture is the basic laptop configurations and specifications recommended for running CAD, graphic, and 3D applications. 

Mar 1, 15 11:56 pm
natematt

I think anything over 100ppi looks pretty decent on a monitor.

When they introduced the iMac in 1998 it had a 15in screen with something like 1000x800 resolution.  17 years later you haven't even doubled that as a standard. Why? because it doesn't do much... the human eye can only see so fine of a detail.

The size of the monitor is a bigger deal in my mind, not from a future-proofing standpoint, but from a usage standpoint. I would get a second monitor  for your laptop, this will be really handy. Also if you don't mind a big computer get a 17in+ laptop, though this is going to be unwieldy if you want to work anywhere that you don't have a desk.

As for the other specs. I think you could do a little better on each. Those are basically top end specs from four years ago, and middle ground specs now. I would say get a decent i7 for sure, 16gb ram, and a 1.5gb+ graphics card.

Mar 2, 15 12:38 am  · 
 · 
Larchinect

get a fast 15 in and buy a 22"+ flatscreen monitor for your desk/studio space--just connect to the monitor when working in the studio, 15" is fine for the coffee shop. Save money and get a pc.

Mar 2, 15 1:24 am  · 
 · 
toosaturated

Most laptops gets outdated within a few years anyways, I wouldn't spend too much getting the latest and greatest. Just follow their specs and you should be fine. Expect to pay $900-1200 for a decent one.

Mar 2, 15 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

You shouldn't be paying 1200 for those specs... unless you buy a mac ;)

Mar 2, 15 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: