Archinect
anchor

MSRED vs MBA Real Estate

Hugoistique

Guys, first post here. I graduated in architecture a few years ago, then went on to work for a Star Architect in London, and for the past two years have been working with Real Estate Development in Brazil. Mostly project management and design management of the consultants and architects. What I feel lacks in my education is the finance side of things, many of the engineers within the firm develop advanced finance pro formas for their developments, I feel like im lagging a bit behind within this aspect. I aim to apply next year for a masters in the US, in order to really learn the whole finance aspect of development. With an architectural background would you guys recomend an msred from the likes of MIT or Columbia, or and MBA with a Real Estate Specialization(wharton, kellogg, etc). My concern with an MBA is the cost and the two year span, and in some cases unrelated subjects.

What do you guys think? Is the MBA worth the debt?

Thanks.

Feb 25, 15 12:44 pm
quizzical

Since it's not quite so narrow in focus, the MBA will tend to give you more career flexibility over time - after all, the real estate industry will always experience ups-and-downs. You never know when you might need to explore other career opportunities.

However, if you're absolutely committed to a long-term career in RE, I don't think it would make a huge difference which degree you pursue if your main interest is learning about RE finance and pro formas.

Feb 25, 15 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

Have you looked at any of the Real Estate Development master's in the UK?  I know many of the big developers send their graduates to Reading (for example) which I think has the benefit of being a part time course so you can continue working while you do it.

If you want to stay in real estate, it may be worth contacting some senior developers you know and admire and asking them what they think would be most attractive in terms of future employee, or if they know of a course they think is particularly beneficial.

Feb 26, 15 6:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: