Archinect
anchor

a quote from CP

"I think more architects should keep the words clarity, coherence, mood, quality, conviction, presence and power to themselves." Cedric Price 1966

Also I agree with Donna, how about those images...

Feb 24, 15 8:47 pm
Non Sequitur

Cedric Price is my jam!

http://www.moma.org/collection_images/resized/625/w500h420/CRI_11625.jpg

Feb 25, 15 8:08 am  · 
 · 

God his work is so beautiful.

But I'm confused by the quote By "keep..to themselves" does he mean keep those words close to heart, or keep quiet and stop yammering on about them? I have to believe it's the former.

Feb 25, 15 8:39 am  · 
 · 

@Donna, good question. I would tend to agree with your interpretation. Anyone else know where the quote is from? Google didn't help...

Feb 25, 15 11:11 am  · 
 · 
cajunarch

I read that quote and thought the opposite - I assumed he meant for us to stop talking about those qualities and instead exhibit it in our work - just my 2 cents

Feb 26, 15 9:16 pm  · 
 · 

@cajunarch so like a very polite Queens English version of "put up or shut up"?

Feb 26, 15 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
cajunarch

exactly my friend

Feb 27, 15 6:50 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Nam, I tend to see the quote  as Price suggesting architects avoid relying on typical jargon when describing their buildings.

Perhaps I see this the wrong way but in his Fun Palace (picture I inserted earlier), the building was intended to "anticipate" users need and change accordingly thus making the building (if we can call it that) a reflection of its ever-changing users and programme rather than a reflection of some white haired architect's brilliant ideals.

I do recall reading through a great deal of Price's work while in grad school and one particular story I recall was one when dining with potential clients, he suggested a divorce was a better solution than a new house since not all architectural problems deserve buildings.

my 3 cents.

also, the CCA has a large online library of Cedric Price for anyone wishing to "waste" a few hours. (http://cel.cca.qc.ca/bs.aspx?langID=1#a=arch&s=380477&d=AP144&nr=1&p=1&nq=1)

Feb 27, 15 7:27 am  · 
 · 

Thanks @cajunarch and Non Sequitur for weighing

Feb 27, 15 10:17 am  · 
 · 

that should read "weighing in".

Mar 7, 15 8:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: