Archinect
anchor

Architecture thesis ... site selection ... need input ...

architectusman

I am a final year student of B.Arch, my thesis is based on how Architecture has become ocular-centric and the aural sense is being neglected. The program of the building is a Music Institute, as it allows me to explore the aspects in full. The problem i'm facing is how to select a site, what criteria should be met to select an appropriate location for the particular thesis. 

​Please comment on this ... 

Feb 24, 15 8:22 am
curtkram

you could site your project next to a babbling brook.  those have a pleasing sort of aural sense to them.  or you could place your project next to an airport.  those have a negative aural sense you would have to mitigate.

the architecture of aural sense meaning you're going to build high stc walls so one loud musician doesn't screw with another?

Feb 24, 15 10:13 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Near natural amphitheaters.  In Colorado, we've got Red Rocks.  Another is just walking around.  Certain areas have wonderful acoustics even in an Urban environment where the local culture, noise, etc. takes on it's own.  Trains or bridges for instance with that repetitive clack can set a beat.  Maybe the roar of a river over a small fall.  You might watch August Rush (it's a good flick anyway) and how that kid uses the sounds he hears to create music to inspire areas that suit your ideas. Since it's theoretical, submersion in water might be something you can work with given it's ability to transmit sound waves.  A big boat and that thump thump of the engine churning is a great noise to me (triggers nice beach vacation memories too).  Also read up on neuroscience and auditory processing to see how it does influence our focus and awareness by stimulating thoughts, memories, etc. 

Sound isolation in my opinion is an empty head.  Great for 'escaping', not so awesome for inspiring or triggering ideas.  Basically, I think anywhere that can set a 'base beat' 24/7 is a good start.  It's easier to insulate against it than it is to focus and welcome these sounds into your design where it isn't fake or a gimmick like a laugh track in the background.  You need genuine sounds that are in that environment.

Feb 24, 15 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
archanahareendrank

I am a fourth year b.arch student .... Am going to take up my thesis in the following semester !! I have chosen a project related to vernacular architecture of Kerala and I have taken a folk lore museum to experiment it... I really need a help in selecting site for my project !!

Jan 2, 18 9:01 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That's for you to figure it out. Do your own work you lazy student.

Jan 2, 18 9:32 am  · 
 · 
archanahareendrank

Very bad reply.... I thought this site was for helping architecture students !! U don't have any rights to state that am a lazy students .... I never asked anyone to select a site for me rather I asked a guidance to select site ... anyways am on the process .... Please don't encourage people who discourage others .... a kind request !

Jan 2, 18 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

asking strangers for help with your homework is lazy... double that when you create a profile just for that purpose and resurrect an unrelated 3 year old discussion at the same time.

Jan 2, 18 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I'd go with Kerala, would be somewhat weird to pick Germany for example if studying the vernacular architecture of Kerala. On second thought, I'd go with Germany just to see how the Kerala vernacular architecture would hold up outside of its natural vernacular habitat. So my final answer will be Germany. Good luck!

Jan 2, 18 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

stop giving away easy answers Rando.

Jan 2, 18 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

you thought wrong!!!!

Jan 2, 18 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Sorry Non Seq, I didn't realise Germany was the right answer ;) I take it all back, I should've known better...the answer is always Germany.

Jan 2, 18 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
cnstruction

Have you ever heard of acoustical engineering?

Jan 2, 18 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Say what?

Jan 2, 18 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

what?

Jan 2, 18 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...

Jan 2, 18 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

"the uploader has not made this video available in your country" -bloody Germans...

Jan 2, 18 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

i would just pick a generic urban or institutional campus context. selecting some idiosyncratic wilderness condition is a red herring. explore how your ideas could be applied very broadly in normal and commonly utilized site conditions.

Jan 2, 18 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

So Germany is what you're saying, right?

Jan 2, 18 3:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: