Archinect
anchor

Portfolio crit

Yoon Chang

Hello,

I am an Interior Designer. I've received BFA-interior design from Pratt Institute in 2009.

I've been in this industry for 4+ years. After college, I gained experiences from New York, Los Angeles and also in Seoul, South Korea.

I've been applying to high-end hospitality design firms (high profile & small firms). But, I didn't hear anything back from them. and was wondering if my portfolio was a problem, or something that I am not aware of...

I didn't make any teaser (worksample) to send out. I just sent out the portfolio.

http://issuu.com/thisisyoon/docs/2015_b1c297968c9282

i would really appreciate portfolio critique.

and do you think i need to make teaser for worksample to apply or full portfolio?

Thank you in advance.

Feb 23, 15 3:21 pm
natematt

How are you applying? About how many have you applied to?

Feb 23, 15 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Yoon Chang

I am applying through e-mails & some through online application. 

I think I've applied around 30 places. 

Feb 24, 15 4:47 am  · 
 · 
Yoon Chang

any comments would help...

Feb 24, 15 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Ok, that's good information to know, because I think that means something about the way you are applying is not ideal. If this was working well I would have expected a couple of interview offers at least. I would hope you would have gotten at least a few extra responses beyond that too, though a lot of places won't send out any response if they don't want to interview  you.

Are you applying to firms that are explicitly hiring, or just whatever you want without regard for weather they are hiring or not?

Feb 24, 15 7:40 pm  · 
 · 

How long ago did you start applying? Some places didn't get back to me until months down the road. I like your pictures, especially of the Apollo residences. They are arranged very deliberately and orderly. The plans, however, and the one spread full of elevations just seem to have images tossed around and placed where ever you felt like. These kind of pages just seem so cluttered in comparison to the others in the portfolio. If they were cleaned up it'd be pretty strong all around.

Feb 24, 15 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

I want to point out that as a first impression that is a pretty long portfolio. What size it is when you send it? I would worry you wouldn't be able to get a decent resolution version sent to anyone with typical size limits for emails. Additionally, no one wants to flip through 50pgs of content when they have another 150 applications to look at.

I think you need work samples. Or a fundamentally reconstructed portfolio.

Feb 24, 15 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
GraceC

What programs did you use to produce those renderings?

Jun 30, 15 10:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: