go do it

yep

Feb 22, 15 5:28 pm
Non Sequitur

6:30am wake-up?

Must be nice to sleep in.

Feb 23, 15 9:03 am  · 
 · 

Nice. And yes, my bed at 3am (especially when it's -5 degrees outside)  is a wonder of life.

Feb 23, 15 9:24 am  · 
 · 

NEVER look at the clock.

Feb 23, 15 9:41 am  · 
 · 

Miles, that's actually kind of a lovely zen-koan-type attitude. Love it.

Feb 23, 15 10:54 am  · 
 · 

Like, if one could completely give up looking at a clock for six weeks, what would life be like? Intrigued...

Feb 23, 15 10:55 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Bought a M&Co watch for my retirement, only has 3 numbers, 10, 1 & 4....10 is when I get up, 1 is when I change out of my pajamas into clothes and start working on stuff and 4 is when I change back into my pajamas.

Feb 23, 15 11:51 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Excellent, Carrera.  That 1-4 shift is still a killer, though...

Feb 23, 15 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Cit - Ya, working on that part, hell of a thing to have to think for 3 straight hours.

Feb 23, 15 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

When I work too much, sometimes I look at the clock and for a split second wonder if the numbers are AM or PM.

Feb 23, 15 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

Donna,

I was watching   Carl Hoffman  the author of  "Savage Harvest: A Tale of Cannibals, Colonialism, and Michael Rockefeller's Tragic Quest for Primitive Art"  on C-Spans BookTV this weekend.  Link He spoke of living with the former headhunters and cannibals In New Guinea  while gathering his material, a lot of interesting information.

His first night living with a man and his extended family that he meet on an earlier trip was the longest of his life he said.  There are no clocks no electricity no plumbing very primitive of course. So when the sun went down at 6:00 being near the equator they all went to bed and just sat around a small candle or some light of some sort. They may sing or tell stories and when you got tired you just fell over and went to sleep. 

At times they would stay up for 24 hours or sleep all night and day it just depends on how everyone felt. I am not doing his description justice but the impression I got is that time was  irrelevant to some extent.  One day or one hour what does it matter you don't have to be anywhere. What a beautiful idea.

Feb 24, 15 1:37 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Go do it.. My father had this book I think he got when we were in Nigeria (late 70's), i learned to walk there, and it had this quick overview of various philosophies throughout the region. In high school I had some philosophical debate with my father about time and being a teenager I probably denied time altogether or something, so he went to the bookshelf and pulled out the book,flipped through it and said I might be interested in the following philosophy - what I remember - time only exists when you do something to occupy yourself, like work.......been working ever since and when I can't distinguish AM from PM I often remember that bit and think it would be much better if I just stopped, but this all occurs to me when I am checking on the kids late at night....sleep-alarm-commute-work-commute-dinner-work-post on archinect- sleep.

Feb 24, 15 7:42 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

If it is past midnight when I wake I usually just get up for the day. Insomniac I am. 

Feb 24, 15 8:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: