Archinect
anchor

What cities would you move to/work on West Coast?

lionshcra

If you could live anywhere on the West Coast, where would you live and why?

Priorities include better weather (i.e. it's regularly above 35 between November and April), sunny, and work for architects (I'm almost done with IDP and my exams fwiw). Willing to buy a car (I'm used to mass transit).

I've visited SF during the summer and liked the food and enjoyed the weather.

I've read positive things about Seattle, although I'd probably get depressed with consistent, regular rain.

I've read Portland is a hikers dream. 

Feb 19, 15 8:23 pm
ArchNyen

#1 Hawaii #2 SF

Feb 19, 15 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

I guess wherever you can get a job, but my pick would be Monterey CA.

Feb 19, 15 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

San Luis Obispo or Newport Beach

Feb 20, 15 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

SF is awesome but expensive.

LA is cool if you work close to where you live.

Carrera has the right idea, but it would be way better if you could live somewhere in Big Sur and work in Monterey or Cambria where jobs are few and far between...

Feb 20, 15 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
square

Seattle. Rain is consistent for a large part of the year, but it's typically light. And summer is amazing. You're also incredible close to mountains, rainforests, islands, etc.

Feb 20, 15 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Seattle or San Diego, LOVE SD, and Seattle is the land of my youth.  Either way I don't see myself working there in the near future.  I don't think I would've picked a better place to start my career than Dallas, and the firm I work for is awesome, lucked out really.  But yeah, West Coast, Seattle Area, or somewhere in San Diego County, just cause it has easy access to everything I love to do, surf, bike, and ski... And the weather!

Feb 20, 15 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
rothko67

If you regularly want better weather then, Oregon and Washington are probably not going be a good fit.  So, that leaves California.  Although, in terms of livability, and quality of life, I don't think you can beat Portland (Oh, and I'm assuming that we're talking about larger urban cities).  In California, I've lived in the Bay Area, Santa Barbara County, and LA.  SF is expensive, but you can maybe think about East Bay (Oakland, Berkeley).  If smaller cities are acceptable, Santa Barbara, and San Luis Obispo are great towns.  They're both slightly expensive, but when I lived in SB, I wan't hurting.  It was livable.  LA can be a dream or a nightmare (love it or hate it).  After 5 years of living there, I couldn't take it anymore.  You most likely need a car to get around.  The transit is not very convenient.  But, there's a ton of work, and depending on where you live, it can be pretty livable.  I primarily lived and worked in Venice Beach / West LA.  I've been to San Diego many, many times, and I like it, but never really loved it.  I find it a little conservative, and a bit boring culturally.  

That's my quick survey of the West Coast.  

Feb 20, 15 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
StarchitectAlpha

Whatever you do don't move to San Diego. The weather is horrible, rains all year!!! Seriously no one should move to Cali in general. Stay in your east coast ice boxes.

Feb 21, 15 12:24 am  · 
 · 
lionshcra

By 35 I meant regular high above freezing. I want to be able to do outdoor activities during the coldest months. The winter daily highs in Boston are bearable (20s), but the addition of the regular high winds make it miserable (that and this 10' of snow shutting down mass transit). Wiki says Seattle and Portland are regularly in the 40s (sweater/light jacket weather) during winter. That's perfect. Perfect size too. Santa Barbara is about an small as I'd be comfortable going, population-wise, but it looks beautiful both in weather and scenery. I never thought about Sacramento. Thanks everyone! 

Feb 21, 15 10:06 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Good economic choice for west coast?

Live Here

Work there

Feb 21, 15 11:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: