Archinect
anchor

3D Printing Buildings...

J.Hans

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYqBxEAtXZA

What are your thoughts?

Thought I'd make a separate thread on this. I find all of your answers and opinions highly interesting! Thanks for looking.

Feb 18, 15 11:32 am
chigurh

Interesting technology, but far from making an actual building that works with MEP.

Just another version of prefab at this point.  Until they can 3d print shit pipes and romex, it is still a long way off.  

Feb 18, 15 1:34 pm  · 
 · 

My thoughts? Learn to use Google and only ask questions here after you've become knowledgable. 

Feb 18, 15 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
J.Hans

I came here because I wanted to get first-hand opinions of architects. Sure, I can research this subject extensively (and I have in the past), but I just thought I'd ask some of the architects on here what they thought about the subject. 

I'm sorry you find that so off-putting, Miles. I'm sorry I'm not knowledgeable (you forgot the e) enough for you. I have some thoughts of my own: learn to stop wasting your time by unnecessarily commenting on threads that you find so offensive. 

Feb 18, 15 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

You want a first hand opinion of architects? Go to an architect's office.

Feb 18, 15 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
J.Hans

The point of my posting here is that I am not currently close to any architect's office. But you are right; maybe in the near future I will go find one. 

Feb 18, 15 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
jcrarch

Thanks for posting the video. I find it very interesting and would like to see more. Poured concrete buildings by computer? Could be an efficient way to make the shell. We'll get the plumber to run the pipes in later. As for Miles, please try and ignore him. I do. His comments are often obnoxious and his sarcasm is getting a bit tiring.

Feb 21, 15 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

Poured concrete buildings by computer? Could be an efficient way to make the shell. We'll get the plumber to run the pipes in later.

Perfect!

Feb 21, 15 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
J.Hans

jcrarch Thank you for your kind reply. Haha, it seems hard to find one on this forum.

About 3D printing, I think it will be something seen quite often in the future. Maybe not entire buildings, but like you said, the shell. Or even parts to build houses with. Cool to think about!

And yes, the persistent impudent sarcasm is growing a bit tiring. 

Feb 24, 15 8:36 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

use a computer to print a concrete shell?  think bigger.  people will be living in virtual environments, where their architecture can change day by day depending on their mood.  just plug into the matrix.

Feb 24, 15 9:29 am  · 
 · 

J.Hans, maybe you should learn how to use the search function, then you could read all the existing threads on this topic before posting your stupid question. But instead you assume that all of your thoughts are original and supremely important, so much so that we - the collective Archinect community, with millennia of combined experience and knowledge - should just lay down whatever we're doing and spoon feed you.

Talk about impudence. LOL Your parents should be proud.

Feb 24, 15 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

can a 3D printer print me a house made of gummy-bears?

Feb 24, 15 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Bobby Lin

Hi Non! Of course you can! There are a lot of figurines, architectural models and prototypes being now realized through 3d printing technology. I see 3d Printing as a technology that will change the world we're living. Architectural firm, industrial and interior design firms, medicine, food, education, crafts and jewelries, fashion, almost all industries are now venturing into 3d printing.

Aug 20, 15 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

I don't think 3D printing will be quite the boon many think it will be. Lets be honest, its just a simple additive process with a lot of constraints. Sure it will improve, we will use it to make more complex things. But will it ever have an influence on the built environment of something like the industrial revolution. Even then, are building before and after the industrial revolution all that different? 

I think we will look back on 3d printing a somewhat of a fade created by the emergence of consumer demand and awareness. The technology has actually been around for many years and the additive process does not really lend itself to fast or stable mass production. Unless you are creating something incredibly unique it's a lot of extraneous machine to erect something rectangular a few guys can do instead. When is the labor needed to erect the machine greater than the labor needed to just do it by hand?

Seriously, the "in one day" claim from the video above is kind of bullshit, how much planning energy and effort went into planning that machine, and process? Maybe one day of run time. If those were the constraints I guarantee many architects could plan, build formwork and prefab pieces that could erect many many more units of far superior quality. Wait till you see my plastic injection modeled house! The 3D printing will not really help the construction process. IMHO.  

I try to look at 3d printing as a design tool. rapid prototyping, physical feedback on designs testing reality earlier in the design process makes a lot of sense.

Aug 21, 15 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
jctiusanen

Hi guys! I partly agree/disagree with JonathanLivingston.

At the moment 3DP can only be used for rapid prototyping and getting feedback in the early stages of the design process. Which is great! Talking with architects it does help a lot in improving their design process and prototyping faster.

But I also believe the technology is in baby steps (even though it's 30+ years old), is an exponential technology that until the past 5 years has started to grow exponentially due to Moore's law. I see it just as computers back in the 70s: nowadays a Raspberry Pi has the same computing power as laptops a decade ago.

Point is this: 3D printing "could" be used for other more complex purposes such as building houses. And maybe within 30 years the technology has evolved so much, that it actually makes sense to 3D print a house :)

Feb 10, 17 5:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: