Archinect
anchor

Architect for Studio Condo??

melissa809

Hello everyone

I'm new here.  I own a 450 square foot condo in Queens, NYC.  I am an electrician by trade and my family are mostly woodworkers/carpenters..which came in handy when I renovated in 2008.

I watch alot of HGTV...lol...and am pretty satisfied with how I designed and laid out my condo renovation.

However, there are still some things I am not 100 percent happy with.  Also, I just got engaged and my fiancee and I discussed just staying here and hiring a professional to design a  layout for my place that would best suit our needs.

What I would like to know is...would it be an architect that I would need to hire?  a designer?

We deal with architects, engineers, lighting designers as well as general contractors at work, but this is just a small apartment that I need help with a renovation layout AS WELL as a furniture layout and a lighting plan.

Who would I need to hire for this?  And could i get a ballpark figure of what this would cost?

Thanks in advance

Melissa

Feb 17, 15 11:35 am
natematt

You could go either way. The key would be to find someone who has experience doing similar project types, and had a style that you like.

Feb 17, 15 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
melissa809

Which would either be an architect or a designer?  I would also like a set of blueprints by which to do my renovation by.  As far as finishes....I'm guessing that an architect doesn't really deal with this, but a designer does?

Could someone lead me to the right direction as far as a company in the NYC area that might be able to help me?

And how much am I looking at spending for a consultation as well as a set of plans?

Thanks

Melissa

Feb 17, 15 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Architects most definitely deal with finishes.

Feb 17, 15 5:54 pm  · 
 · 

1) There are a number of people on this forum who would probably be interested in your project. 

2) Cost will be determined by what exactly you decide to do. Having a budget is a good place to start. This is the first thing any professional is going to want to know as it will define the scope of the project and serve as a basis for determining the fee.

3) Architect or designer? Not really the issue. You should be concerned about their ability to communicate with you, sensitivity to your requirements, ability to guide you through cost issues  and the quality of their work (portfolio of completed projects). FYI Architects hate inferior designers.

4) Word of mouth is the best way to find someone. You're in the trades, I should think that somebody you know must have a connection.

5) Small projects can be a bitch, requiring just as much work as larger ones for a smaller fee.

Feb 17, 15 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

An architect would also be able to help navigate any permit issues you might find yourself needing to deal with.

Feb 17, 15 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

An architect is NOT required in NY if the project is an

"2. Alterations, costing ten thousand dollars or less, to any building or structure within the city of New York and twenty thousand dollars or less, to any building or structure outside the city of New York which do not involve changes affecting the structural safety or public safety thereof"."

What is your budget?  How is alteration defined by the construction code?

An Alteration Type-I Application is required when there is a major change to the Certificate of Occupancy of a building, such as converting it from commercial to residential, an interior conversion of the building or a space within a building, or due to a building addition. Most commonly, an Alteration Type-I Application will be used to change the Maximum Number of Persons for a space, to change the Occupancy or Use Group of a space, and/or to change the Description of a space.

Alteration Type-II Application is an alteration that doesn’t change the use or occupancy of the building but requires several types of work, such as plumbing and construction.  An Alteration Type-II Application may be used when there is no change to the Certificate of Occupancy due to the proposed alterations, such as with an interior fitout or alteration. When an Alteration Type-II is filed under Directive-14 (such is the case 99% of the time), the Applicant or other NYS Registered Professional Engineer or Registered Architect may signoff the application with a Directive-14 Final Inspection.

Alteration Type-III is a minor alteration that involves only one type of work, such as a curb cut or a construction fence.

ALT-1s and ALT 2s must be filed by a registered architect or licensed engineer; some ALT3s don’t require detailed plans and can be filed by a non-professional.

(its a snow day and I'm bored)

Feb 17, 15 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

You say condo. Ask for alt. Agreement and talk to management and board. They will most Likely require a architect or engineer. Ask the board or management who they would recommend

Feb 17, 15 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

I am not joking when I say this but between municipal fees, possible required asbestos inspection, electric load letters, board fees, management fees, professional fees, you may be landmarked, etc....you may spend more on paperwork than construction............did a wall in a small condo likes yours once. The wall and door cost the client $3k.....the fees $10k. If your condo is like any other condo in nyc add a 0 to you sqft and multiply by 2 for professional fees miminum...if someone charges half that I would be nervous and count on a lengthier process than expected and lots of inexperienced bullshit excuses for delays....

Feb 17, 15 9:34 pm  · 
 · 

450 sq.ft. budget condo in Queens, the assumption is no structure / mechanicals, just lighting, finishes and furnishings, things you could do w/o board approval or selling your children into bondage.

Feb 17, 15 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

dang ny is way over regualted in comparison to most other states.  Except on Wall street of course.  

Feb 17, 15 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

yeah, jla-x it's funny how that works....and the clients that often want to skirt around the regulations, guess what they work on Wall Street.

Miles, these days the management companies and boards are really concerned with how people alter their units now, they pay attention and actually want Sign-Offs of Professional Certifications, etc... The general atmosphere is overkill CYA.  If it's an old building our OP has an advantage, they are an electrician...tends to be the issue with undersized panels, etc...

Feb 17, 15 11:43 pm  · 
 · 

Agreed. But at that size I don't think there is any altering involved, which in 450 ft would be a gut. Maybe the OP will clear up this point. 

Feb 18, 15 8:50 am  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

The project sounds like it could be great.  And tiny, from my boondocks viewpoint -- I'm wrapping my head around living in 450 SF.  My last house was modest for the area, and I think I had seven times that amount of SF.  And yours probably cost a lot more!  Funny, I am not even aware of any 450 SF condos available anywhere near where I live -- I think the smallest is about 600.

In any case, I would doubt you'll ever regret paying the money for a great design.  Scout around to see what others have done.  Good luck.

Feb 18, 15 10:26 am  · 
 · 
gruen

I love this thread. Proves we can offer good advice when the OP asks the right way ;)

To the OP, you've been offered some great advice on here. Do your homework first to see if you'll be required to have a professional (arch and/or engineer) involved, then interview arch's and/or designers to see who you mesh with and designs you like. 

Feb 19, 15 5:23 pm  · 
 · 

^ Hopefully she didn't get scared away from a project by the doom and gloom forecasts. Making a tight little space like that efficient and charming would be lots of fun.

Feb 19, 15 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Olaf, I'm doing just that. A wall demo in a landmarked condo. The paperwork and the demo and construction notes are about 90% of the work.

Feb 21, 15 9:38 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

null, I'm interested if the client knew before hand or how you explained it to them.  this is always hard to explain other than  - it's NYC.

with the example I gave above, the guy was a financial guy at a bank and man did he squirm every time I mentioned one more fee....that was 5 years ago

now I just drop the whole thing upfront on the prospective client and wait and see if they come back...not worth the headache and it isn't the Architect's fault for telling the truth...

Feb 21, 15 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Unfortunately, seems I get more projects if I'm not completely forthcoming up front. But I still tend towards honesty.
Feb 21, 15 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

I'm going to try to comment and answer without giving away too much of my identity.

I started by making them get an expediter, even for something as simple as this because it's a lot easier to break up that bill and surrender a bit of revenue than to risk giving out free work (which I just hate doing). I told them I'd take care of the landmarks filing, because it's an XCNE, and I wanted to pull it myself for the sake of getting familiar with the process (I've done landmarks stuff, but mostly production work for PM's early on in my career).

This particular client didn't know too much, came through a project referral service, but they were fairly refined (read: willing to learn). While they had never taken on an architectural project in the city, they were well-read enough to know at least a bit about how the filing system works here. I sent them a few articles from the NYTimes, Brownstoner and Curbed (those build trust because they show that I'm not trying to screw them and that's just how things work in the city), and told them that if they'd engage me formally, I could dig a bit deeper and get them answer as to what is required of them.

i have a pretty batshit high hourly, based on the special stuff i do; they agreed to that, so i'm not too worried about the fee really. This is just way off-field compared of what I generally do for my personal clients, but I just thought it'd be worth getting done just for the experience.

Feb 21, 15 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

I agree Null on the experience bit.  I went and got the DOB ID and did simple filings myself in person, dropping stuff off in the box and same day filings etc...

had a great job - Loft Board, LPC and DOB of course, that was a learning experience...

it's worth knowing about these things especially when I see "code consultants" and expediters advise clients to weasel around the law...the "code consultants" aren't liable as they usually aren't the licensed professional and therefore suffer no consequences from their risky advise...while we stamp it.

so the second i got my license I started doing my own expediting.  I was so seriously disappointed by the building department, so much so that  I kind of now understand where these law bending "code consultants" are coming from.

your clients sound intelligent.  I've been doing some legalization work lately and what I've noted is the management companies and even the title companies now give a shit if a job is signed-off and done right.

gruen - I feel you, i just say yeah yeah yeah sometimes and then hit them up slowly, it feels weasly, but it's no different than dating right, can't let the other person know everyting right away...

Feb 21, 15 9:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: