Archinect
anchor

The future of architecture...

J.Hans

In your professional opinions, what current trends are leading the way to the future of architecture?

What can you forsee?

The future of architecture has always interested me. 

Feb 17, 15 11:17 am
Saint in the City

Hold on -- my popcorn is in the microwave.

Feb 17, 15 11:28 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Feb 17, 15 11:31 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

you changed your name and simplified the survey?

i like it.

the future of architecture is tied inextricably to the people who pay for it.  i think wealth disparity is what's going to define the future of architecture.  it's also been predicted that the united states is going to see some 50 year drought unlike anything we've ever seen.

until we see that greed is not a good motivator, good 'design' will be seen as an unnecessary expense that impedes productivity or economic growth.  architectural services will be commoditized. 

of course the drought thing will make it hard to grow corn and cows.  the aquifers will dry up.  drinking water will become scarce.  architects will get to design the thunderdome, inspired by bucky fuller and mad max.

Feb 17, 15 11:40 am  · 
 · 
J.Hans

Haha, curtkram, I only was curious about this subject. 
I just wanted to know your opinions.

Thanks for your answer! I think..

Feb 17, 15 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Much of modern architecture was designed and built without a thought for energy use in cooling or heating. You would think that architects would revisit places like the old quarters of New Orleans, Charleston, and Savannah to study the classic buildings to see how the buildings and gardens came together to create an agreeable lifestyle in the face of brutal summers without air conditioning. If you are designing in the north study could be made of the early buildings in Minneapolis, Montreal, and Quebec City, as well as New England. But no, the emphasis seems to be on building some parametric horror that is impossible to heat, impossible to cool, and relates to nothing.

Feb 17, 15 11:57 am  · 
 · 
J.Hans

Thank you for your detailed answer. Quite interesting!

Feb 17, 15 11:58 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

brutal summers without air conditioning were still brutal.  a nice porch swing and a glass of sweet tea helped, but i doubt people are going to turn off their TV's and go outside when it's nice and cool inside.

you could look into passivhaus as an alternative that might be more realistic.  i don't agree with sealing up your house as much as they do, but their solutions do makes sense in a way.

kansas city has an underground 'subtropolis.'  stays nice and cool all year round.

Feb 17, 15 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
J.Hans

Hey, this is slightly off subject, but what are your thoughts about 3-D printers and architecture? Bad or good?

I think it's crazy to think about machines making entire buildings without construction workers. It'll put a lot of people out of work if it becomes the norm in the future. Scary...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/07/tech/printing-3d-buildings-five-tenets-of-a-new-kind-of-architecture/index.html

Feb 17, 15 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I think you just proved my point, if you are in a Charleston house that fronts a long porch and the house is in the shade of several 200 year-old mossy oak trees it is going to cost a whole lot less to air-condition that house than if it was on a bare lot.

Feb 17, 15 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Stateside, the future of architecture (as a profession) depends a lot on the future of transportation.  unless we truly start moving toward transportation equity and reducing car-dependency, we're going to end up with a significant population living out of their cars following low-paying jobs.

in terms of design - as more people enter the field who are increasingly comfortable with digital tools - I think we'll see more boundaries being pushed in terms of fabrication and form - we won't see entirely 3D-printed buildings, but the ability to create custom individual components will become more "affordable" - meaning they'll start showing up in more places.

Feb 17, 15 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
J.Hans

Thanks for your insight. I agree with you. 3-D printing parts instead of entire buildings makes much more sense. Hopefully, that's how things will play out in the future.

It would save time and money, but too much of a good thing can be a bad thing - like if 3-D printers become relied on too heavily. People would lose jobs. Optimistically, that will not be the case.

Anyways, I don't pretend to know a lot on this subject, as I am not an architect/student of architecture (I'm 16). I just find it highly interesting. Again, thanks for your input. 

Feb 17, 15 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Natural, local, human, lovable.

Feb 17, 15 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

+++Non Sequitur

Feb 17, 15 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

volunteer, shading glazing with an architectural element such as a porch is a great idea to reduce solar heat gain.

also, double glazed low-e glass with argon is a good way to reduce solar heat gain.  shades are good too.  learning from the past is important, but so is learning what's out there today.

my neighbor just had a huuuuge 50 year old elm fall.  fortunately it fell away from his house and ended up in the street about a foot from his car, so no damage.  i spent a considerable amount of money trimming my 60ish year old elms (one of which had to be cut down because it died) a couple years ago, but there is a huge limb still hanging over my house. it was too big for the tree company to cut down.  someday it's going to land on my roof and do a fair bit of damage.  hopefully i won't still be living there at the time.

when you build a new house, the cost of planting a 200 year old oak tree would be considerable.  i don't think that's how they did it 200 years ago either....  don't get me wrong, i like trees (i even planted a couple apple trees to replace the elm that died), but sometimes you're just pushing more maintenance onto future generations.

Feb 17, 15 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

http://1drv.ms/19tS4A1

Here is a photo of Charleston in the Civil War. Mature trees were a staple then as well as now. You can pick up on several architectural details employed to offset the heat. (as well as the generous trees)

Feb 17, 15 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

"3-D printing parts"

Why bother?  Why not extrude building parts out of silicone or latex sealant... It would solve so many problems...

Feb 17, 15 6:16 pm  · 
 · 

Where's my cape?

Feb 17, 15 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

those houses look drafty volunteer, and windows incredibly inefficient.  i cant see any plumbing stacks or vents or anything coming out of the roof.   surely they had indoor plumbing and central heat?  i wonder how well insulated those houses are.  if these houses are going to be the model of efficiency for the future, i sure hope they selected a high efficiency furnace and air conditioner.

can you get land next to trees like that now days?  seems most residential plots i see are subdivided and landsacped by developers.  they build infrastructure like roads, sewer, access to power, and all sorts of great modern conveniences that are nowhere to be found in that picture.

anyway, this is what charleston looks like now.  probably a better case study.  they still have trees.

https://goo.gl/maps/JPtyP

Feb 17, 15 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
mytton

This is a really important question to ask, because I really think it will be changing.

I think the generation of recent graduates and students will not be satisfied with the profession's current state of marginalized importance, reduced control, and disproportionate pay for work. I think they will seek more purpose in the work they do than what is currently accepted and allowed. Part of this is how architects are currently seen simply as an expense by clients, and all that they want is an optimized space to cost. This due to the unrepresentative compensation framework that is used by architects, which doesn't capture the value they produce. Either designers will learn to quantify that value, or it will disappear forever. The most significant technological developments and changes in the function of businesses all lead to a changing role of design and design thinking. Issues like sustainability, which really are not being addressed nearly as well as they should now, will increase the importance of design and engineering as well. As was said above, many new ways of thinking/working like computational work and 3d printing are just new features now, but in the future they will likely begin to actually create innovation in what we produce. These aren't necessarily things that can be predicted now, but they are forces that are currently moving, and the hope is that they will change for the better. 

Feb 18, 15 12:31 am  · 
 · 

The future of architecture can be summed up in a single image that also encompasses the present for far too many people.

Feb 18, 15 9:19 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

This is also what Charleston looks like today. It would look like Miles photo above had not generations of people really cared about their city. 

http://1drv.ms/1zNYgrS

Feb 18, 15 9:33 am  · 
 · 
J.Hans

mytton, Thanks for your detailed input. I enjoy getting perspectives on this subject from different architects.

Feb 18, 15 10:37 am  · 
 · 
J.Hans

:) Miles, you are quite the character. Seems as though you are a practical celebrity on these forums.

Did you ever find that cape? 

Feb 18, 15 10:39 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Who architects will become to make it:

Starving artist stereotype.  A good start is picking a poison: Binge drinking, broken heart, serious trauma?  Add some bad choices for flavor and mental seasoning to kick off that requiem head full of pain and suffering you'll need to think this life 'could be worse' yet maintain that "I'll kick life's ass" attitude because 'you've seen worse'.  Your head can't be office drone bubble boy afraid of shadows.  Basically you need to slay some monsters so you can use that passion and drive without expecting reward or notice because that's "normal" to you. 

Bubble boys and girls are your minions because they want to be you (casually ignoring the sun bleached bone terracotta floor of your office made from their predecessors) ...and it's something you can't comprehend because you don't want to be you and dream of sitting on a beach selling frozen drinks instead.  They don't understand that you suspect your passion, knowledge, creativity and energy may stem from some yet to be diagnosed mental illness or brain tumor.  Because it ain't the money...   :)

Feb 18, 15 10:57 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

future "physical" architecture will probably become less concerned with art and more with utilitarian issues.  The age of Zaha and FG will slowely come to an end.  The flamboyent adventourous architectural fixes will likely find a new home in the ever expanding/improving virtual world.  Once virtual reality become as "real" as reality....we will be spending more time in the cyber world free of consequences, gravity, and budgets.   To spin off of Warhol...In the future We will all have out 15 minutes of  starchitecture.  Welcome to the Matrix. 

Feb 18, 15 11:26 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

I think the generation of recent graduates and students will not be satisfied with the profession's current state of marginalized importance

so what are you going to do?  are you going to be the john galt of the interns?  when you enter the profession, other people will be making almost every decision that decides the direction of your life, be it a client choosing what role they want their architect to play, or a supervisor deciding what task they want you on or what amount of exposure they'll allow you, or a boss that decides how little they can pay you before you break. 

i understand you might not be satisfied with your role, but you won't be the first person or the first generation to face that.  i'm sure seeking purpose is a decision you will still control.  managing costs might be out of your control.

i think it's great if you're going to lead the revolution that changes the profession.  i think it's great that you have that passion and that vision.  if you are the john galt of the interns, i will gladly stand behind you.  it seems like a monumental task though, so if you have a plan to carry out that goal, i'd love to hear it.

Feb 18, 15 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

Curtkram, are you available for motivational speaking tours?

Feb 18, 15 11:54 am  · 
 · 
J.Hans

^ lol

Feb 18, 15 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

nope.  glad i could help inspire you though :)

I think the generation of recent graduates and students will not be satisfied with the profession's current state of marginalized importance

that statement actually probably extends well beyond the generation of recent graduates and students.  perhaps mytton is on to something.

Feb 18, 15 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

Nice.

Can you do one that reads "Curtkram:  Hapless Cog in Life's Unfair Machine"....?

Feb 18, 15 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

Just shoveling some your way.   ;)

Feb 18, 15 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

myyton,

i don't really disagree with a lot of what you've said, but i think it applies more towards disaffected or unemployed recent graduates who may seek to call themselves architects even though they are unable to complete IDP and are not licensed.

Feb 18, 15 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

saint, i offer this as my meme contribution of the day:

Feb 18, 15 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
mytton

With regards to the responses to my comment, I think that at the moment, the sentiment is more important than any single concrete plan or solution. We're really not there yet, since the sentiment is only now heightening, which is in part a consequence of the massive unemployment of late, but I also think it is a consequence of the changing way that people in general are working. You can say that every generation goes through this, but I would disagree. It is no longer enough to have an office job just to support the family; that was the most novel result of the information economy. There are organizations even now who look beyond maximizing profits to considering equally the social good they can do. People now seek more fulfillment beyond that, and of course it isn't necessarily possible to do anything about such dissatisfaction when trapped within the parameters of the current structures, but my point is there must eventually be a tipping point. I don't expect to see or be an intern who stands up and shouts "this isn't right!" in an effort of rebellion. I expect it will be only after that stage where these people are shaping their own firms or taking higher positions in others that they will begin to change what is done and how it is done. It isn't limited to architecture either.

Throughout the economy, issues of income inequality and inequality of agency are only continuing to persist, and either it will continue until everything collapses or something will change. I have my own thoughts on what could be done within the architectural profession, but the point isn't yet to have an end all be all solution. The trick would rather be to do something that may catalyze other changes so that there may even be a shot at coming to a situation that is better. This certainly runs counter to the general sentiments of those already immersed in the profession who have experienced its great deficiencies have adapted to them. It may be naive to ignore the cynicism that that is simply how things are, but that is why only a real innovation in the model of practice will allow for anything to be better. Firms that combine architectural design with development for example, have the opportunity to alter the limiting fee structure of current architects, and possibly even create a compensation system which captures all of the value of an architect's designs. Firms that combine design and construction are reinstitution the risk that architects have forgone, so that they may regain some control over what is built and some reward for their efforts. Ultimately, within the current capitalist framework, the value of architectural design will not be seen unless it is monetarily represented.

Feb 18, 15 2:36 pm  · 
 · 

future "physical" architecture will probably become less concerned with art and more with utilitarian issues.  The age of Zaha and FG will slowely come to an end.

Economics are the driving factor, thus the 'top' will become ever more outrageous and absurd and the middle will fall to the bottom and out of sight. Until such time as the system is turned on its head, at which point the same stupid system will start all over again under a new name. Been going on for millennia. 

Unless of course civilization (I use that term very loosely here) is so badly damaged that we are reduced to living in the rubble of the post-apocalypse. Which for many on the planet would not even be a noticeable change. Funny to think about it, but those at the bottom of society would probably be least affected by collapse because they are already there.

Feb 18, 15 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

The collapse has already begun.  Go ask a polar bear.

Feb 18, 15 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

I feel like I need Xanax to even read the posts... so scary so sad...

Feb 18, 15 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

future Architecture critic

urban planning

architecture crits will include presidents

Darth Vader, FAIA  will build this at least

Feb 18, 15 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
edcole

Coop Himmelblau - may have your answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R64IEixoYJ0

The advancement of architecture has always been tied to some kind of technology. The advancement in technology has a large say on what can be built and how. I Also agree with curtkram, on the point of economic disparity. 

Feb 18, 15 11:26 pm  · 
 · 

@toast, minor correction "

"we're going to end up with a significant population living out of GOOGLE aka self-driving cars following low-paying jobs"

Feb 19, 15 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

"we're going to end up with a significant population living out of GOOGLE aka self-driving cars following low-paying jobs"

lol...  I can imagine a ring highway around the city will be more like just a revolving hotel.  A client punches in the employee he needs today and the car diverts to take it's sleeping occupant...  new data analytics' and user search histories will make sure potential applicant's cars hover around those areas most likely to need their services; for a massive subscription price of course for google to 'host' you in this extensive searchable contract employee browser system. 

Feb 19, 15 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

oh shit - that image is really scary - a vast network of workers ready at your command...

Feb 19, 15 11:07 pm  · 
 · 

It is entirely unnecessary to provide slave labor with self-driving cars, and not just because they will never be able to afford them.

Now add all the taxi and limo drivers to the ranks of the unemployed. And load / unload your own fucking bags, deadbeat. Not that low-occupancy vehicles for hire were ever a good idea, but at least they provide some jobs.

Feb 20, 15 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
J.Hans

Well, this discussion sure got interesting in my absence. 

Feb 24, 15 8:39 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Many homeless families live out of their car. That is another definition of a "mobile home". Obama, on the other hand, seems to lives mostly in his taxpayer-provided 747. Is that what Hemingway called a "movable feast"? It all depends on your viewpoint, i guess.

Feb 24, 15 9:21 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

OBAMA DESIGNED AND BUILT THE ASPEN ART MUSEUM

THANKS OBAMA!

Feb 24, 15 9:33 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

/

Feb 24, 15 9:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Brilliant

Feb 24, 15 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I'm sure some five-year old girl living out of a car with her parents would love to have that home. She would probably help her father paint the ugly stone and brick, and the rest of it, on the weekends. 

Feb 24, 15 10:55 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i bet your right.  maybe your republican congress can start passing some legislation to help turn around the economy, limit wealth disparity, and get that girl a more hopeful future.  or maybe they can just bitch about immigration while they prevent the DHS budget from passing.  maybe they'll shut down the government again, since that helped that 5 year old girl so much.  we know obama's trying.  what are you doing?

Feb 24, 15 11:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: