Archinect
anchor

20 questions...

J.Hans

I need to conduct an online "interview" with two architects for a college project. Please help me by answering a few simple questions. :)

*You do NOT have to answer all of the following questions; answer as many as you want.* Thank you! 

(1.) How much of your life does your job as an architect take up? 

(2.) What are some major skills needed to make it in the field of architecture? 

(3.) How has being an architect affected your life? 

(4.) Does being an architect pay well? 

(5.) How many hours a week do you work on average? 

(6.) Who/what motivated you to choose this career path? 

(7.) What is a current concern/trend in the field of architecture? 

(8.) What age did you decide to become an architect? 

(9.) Why did you choose this career? 

(10.) What is the most fulfilling aspect of being an architect? 

(11.) Can just anyone be an architect? Or are there certain skills needed? 

(12.) What type(s) of buildings do you specialize in? 

(13.) Is being an architect tough? 

(14.) Have you always wanted to be an architect? 

(15.) Is there anything you would want to say to someone who is aspiring to be an architect? 

(16.) What is the easiest part of being an architect? What is the most difficult? 

(17.) Is the world of architecture tough on the architect? Is there constant pressure? 

(18.) Do you ever experience a lack of inspiration when you are required to design a building? 

(19.) Do you sometimes doubt yourself and what you can do? 

(20.) Have you ever considered abandoning your vocation?

Update: Also, if you do not wish to answer questions specifically, you could write a paragraph about your journey as an architect, keeping the questions in mind. THANK YOU!

Feb 15, 15 7:34 pm

You are late to the party. Check the forum for responses in a previous thread. Hope you have an umbrella for the shit storm.

Feb 15, 15 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
J.Hans

I created this account five minutes ago, so I am not sure how to navigate this site. Haha

Feb 15, 15 7:41 pm  · 
 · 

Scroll to the bottom and go to the second page. I think his/her name was Dplo or something.

Feb 15, 15 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
J.Hans

Ah, I see the post now. Looks like somebody else has the same project I do. It is for my English class, too. What a coincidence. 

Anyways, thank you for letting me know! I'll go scan through those comments. 

Feb 15, 15 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
J.Hans

Ooh, looks like I should be expecting some nasty replies. Sheesh, poor kid. Wish I would've known everybody here would freak out.

My teacher said I could conduct an interview on a forum, website, or through email.

Oh, well. I'll get my umbrella out. 

Feb 15, 15 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i suppose we're all just old fashioned.  back in my day, we talked to people.  that was before the facebooks though.

so human interaction is discouraged at the university level now?  i guess that makes sense.  your professors are probably misanthropes as well.

Feb 15, 15 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
J.Hans

Wow, curtkram, you're funny. 

Human interaction is obviously not discouraged at any university. I just have a few simple questions that I needed to ask. But, as I saw from a previous thread, I assume I will not receive any answers other than hostile, unprofessional remarks.

Why waste your time commenting, anyways? 

Feb 15, 15 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
J.Hans

The internet is a useful tool. I am resorting to this tool because I simply do not have the means by which I can contact an architect, sit down with them, and have an interview. I am at high school age. And yes, I am in college. 

Oh, wait, I probably shouldn't say that, because now anyone who reads this will say that I'm a dumb kid who doesn't grasp the concept of human interaction (judging from the aftermath of this post http://archinect.com/forum/thread/120386350/question-s-for-anyone-who-is-an-architect-city-planner-student-or-professional).

All I am asking is for a few simple answers to a few simple questions. But I suppose because I asked them on this forum that I am lazy, immature, an idiot, etc. Ah, well. 

I hope somebody will come here and show some professionalism, and hey, maybe even kindness, and actually answer a few questions about their life as an architect.

Feb 15, 15 8:23 pm  · 
 · 

1. Architecture is my life.

2.Knowing people with money.

3.Architecture is my life.

4.No

6.The Guggenheim by FLW

7.1099 employees(30% taxes, no insurance, no sick days, no overtime, no holidays)

8.5th grade

9.It choose me

10.Doing Architecture

11.Only people with the requisite drive(only licensed individuals are called Architects) Being good at it is another matter.

12.Various

13.Yes

14.See number 8

15.Run away if you can

16.Doing Architecture, doing buildings that are only buildings

17Yes,Yes

18.Yes for buildings but never lack inspiration for doing Architecture

19.Of course

20.Yes, every time I think about a value engineering meeting

Feb 15, 15 8:48 pm  · 
 · 

Your teacher is an idiot. Run.

Feb 15, 15 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
J.Hans

Lye__Nerd____Sky__Nerd

Thank you very much! Have a great day.

Feb 15, 15 8:52 pm  · 
 · 

You are welcome. However, even though I answered your questions, we did not do this face to face. Communication is more than words. It is body language, tone of voice, direction of gaze etc..

I am not trying to beat you up. I am just saying that with an on-line interview you have answers that provide no insight.    

Feb 15, 15 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
austarch

OK, I'll bite, more out of sympathy for a student just trying to get through/ having the naive courage to do this online. I agree face to face is better and Juliet, your teacher has rocks in their head for encouraging/allowing this to be done online. Not sure I understand why you don't have the resources to do this on the phone/ in person - is it a time issue? Do you live somewhere that has no architects nearby? Many firms take high school students for work experience so your age should not be a factor? If you are serious about researching this for your own future career choice (rather than simply for this assignment), you would get far more out of really talking to architects. You would get maybe 1 out of 10 responses but thats par for the course and its good practice for job applications... Anyway I realise you have your reasons and have already defended them :)

(1.) How much of your life does your job as an architect take up? 
All of it. It's a career, not a job and you can't just turn off your mind when you leave the office. Though I wish I could, I practice daily and one day I might master this zen ability...

(2.) What are some major skills needed to make it in the field of architecture? 
Perseverance, patience, faith in yourself, eternal blind optimism...oh and design ability, drawing skills (BOTH hand and CAD), good verbal communication skills. Clear analytical skills. Empathy. Imagination. Networking skills (aka befriend wealthy people). The ability to live on not very much for a very long time.

(3.) How has being an architect affected your life? 
It is my life. It has made me poor. It has made me critical (in the analytical sense) of my built surroundings instead of blindly accepting all that I see without question - in terms of daily life and my enjoyment of it I sometimes wish I could undo this!

(4.) Does being an architect pay well? 
No!

(5.) How many hours a week do you work on average? 
Varies wildly - between 0 and 80, depends what clients want, or indeed if there is a client at all. Not much this week, which is why I have the time to read this forum for a change...

(6.) Who/what motivated you to choose this career path? 
Visiting Europe and experiencing great architecture in the flesh. Pictures just don't do it.

(7.) What is a current concern/trend in the field of architecture? 
3D BIM software in everyday office terms. On a deeper level, the need to stay relevant in the face of the rise of many builders/developers/drafters producing somewhat professional looking documents that suck the general public into thinking 'wow!' without understanding that architecture is about much much more than just a pretty 3D render.

(8.) What age did you decide to become an architect?

Unconsciously; all my life. Consciously; 23.

(9.) Why did you choose this career? 
I honestly don't know. I think it chose me.

(10.) What is the most fulfilling aspect of being an architect? 
On good days - the chance to engage pretty deeply with clients, the 'aha' moment when after eons of work a design comes together, the ever-changing nature of the work. Its never boring.

(11.) Can just anyone be an architect? Or are there certain skills needed? 
See (2) for skills. For qualifications, you need a B. Arch and an M. Arch from a recognised institution, plus professional licence to practice (tested and granted by a professional 'guild'), in order to be an 'Architect' (the capital A is deliberate; it is an official title you earn with the licence). 'Building designers' do much the same thing at varying levels and with similar skills, with certain restrictions on the type/value of project, and without the licence. Building designers are often graduates of architecture who never applied for a professional licence. Its a valid choice.

(12.) What type(s) of buildings do you specialize in? 
Everything.

(13.) Is being an architect tough? 
Very. Long hours, poor pay, most people don't get what you do, most people also think all architects are rich arrogant assholes. Unfortunately some are (most are just ordinary decent people trying to make a buck).

(14.) Have you always wanted to be an architect? 
See (8).

(15.) Is there anything you would want to say to someone who is aspiring to be an architect? 
Exhaust all other career options first. Examine your motivation very carefully. Do work experience. Talk to as many practicing architects as you can. Only do it if you have an unquenchably burning need to be an architect. Just because it takes a long time to get qualified and then another long time to find out what its really like, and by then its rather hard to change career. Sorry to sound negative but this business is already litterered with broken dreams!

(16.) What is the easiest part of being an architect? What is the most difficult? 
Easy? None of it, though it can be very satisfying at times. Difficult - maintaining the drive in the face of disappointment.

(17.) Is the world of architecture tough on the architect? Is there constant pressure? 
Yes. Yes. Very competitive industry, big pressure to deliver within impossible timeframes for insufficient fees.

(18.) Do you ever experience a lack of inspiration when you are required to design a building? 

For just a 'building', sure. For something with more 'design' to it, no. And even a block of toilets can be fun if the toilet block is required to have some flair.

(19.) Do you sometimes doubt yourself and what you can do? 
Of course. Everyone does. If they say they don't they are either lying or delusional.

(20.) Have you ever considered abandoning your vocation?

Consider the term 'vocation' carefully. There are jobs, careers, and vocations. Vocation refers to a calling, something irresistable, something you couldn't live without. Architecture can be this, it can also be a career (something you choose to do for all your working life). Its never just a job (something you do for money but are not all that invested in personally) because the financial rewards are just not there.

Sometimes. Its addictive in some ways though. For me its a career more than a vocation. I have happily done other things too.

Feb 16, 15 1:49 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

^  2.)  In addition, acquire a VERY, VERY thick skin.

Feb 16, 15 8:28 am  · 
 · 

^ Luck (not a skill but probably the single most necessary aspect).

Feb 16, 15 8:37 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

Wow, curtkram, you're funny. 

Thanks!

since this is a one-way conversation where we are here to help you through altruism alone, i don't know what interest you have in the practice of architecture.  i don't know what sort of architecture you're interested in pursing, be it commercial, institutional, education, residential, etc.  i don't know if you have a stylistic dogma.  all i know is that i'm wasting time responding to your query, and you're wasting time with a list of questions.  i'm willing to bet your teacher did not vet this community.  you might actually have better luck seeking input from 4-chan or reddit or wherever it is the kids go these days.  maybe twitter?  unfortunately, your education may be a waste of time equivalent to my responding to your post.

having said that, this is what i offer that might actually help.  here is an article posted by gb-a in a different thread, and i thought it my be appropriate to what you're looking for here:

http://www.archdaily.com/234633/worklifework-balance/

from the article, "Many would argue that being employed in architecture and the pursuit of happiness are irreconcilable."  the rest is, however, fairly optimistic and if you're sincere about considering this as a career choice, it might be worth the read (if you have the time).

Feb 16, 15 11:40 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

^wow, never saw it before, outstanding writing on the bs we all endure at some point.

Feb 16, 15 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
J.Hans

austarch

Yes, the reason I am unable to go and interview an architect is because there are no architect's offices nearby. Plus, I am sixteen years old and I just have my permit. Haha, so it's kind of a hassle to have to go out and search for an architect with my mother when I have other school to do. So, I turned to this forum, as my teacher said I could.
Anyways, thank you so much for taking the time to thoroughly answer the questions! You have given me good insight on what it is like to be an architect.

Have a great day! :)

Feb 16, 15 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
J.Hans

curtkram,

I am sorry for blowing up last night in response to your comment. I was slightly frustrated at the time. 

"don't know what interest you have in the practice of architecture.  i don't know what sort of architecture you're interested in pursing, be it commercial, institutional, education, residential, etc."
I was interested in entering the field of residential architecture. But now that I am seeing what it's really like to be an architect, I am having second thoughts. Lots of hard work, lack of adequate pay, etc. 
I mean, I'm sure there are many architects perfectly happy with their professional lives, perhaps yourself included...but now I'm thinking that I may not be like one of them.

Anyways, thank you for your time and the article. I will definitely read it. :) And again, sorry for my comments last night. Have a great day!

Feb 16, 15 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
J.Hans

"You are welcome. However, even though I answered your questions, we did not do this face to face. Communication is more than words. It is body language, tone of voice, direction of gaze etc."

Lye__Nerd____Sky__Nerd,

I understand, and you are right! Tone of voice and body language are very important.

Still, I appreciate your even answering the questions at all, even if your answers were brief and to-the-point. They still helped me get an idea of what it's like to be an architect.

"I am not trying to beat you up. I am just saying that with an on-line interview you have answers that provide no insight."

No, I know what you mean! No offense taken. :) And yes, that is true, but at least it is something to add to my paper. The essay/project I am doing is not focused around the interviews, but rather, the field of architecture and any of its trends/concerns. The interviews are just to be lightly incorporated so as to get a bit of professional backup on my claims. 

Anyways, thanks again! 

Feb 16, 15 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
J.Hans

austarch

I forgot one thing. May I have your first and last name, please?

Feb 16, 15 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
austarch

Sorry, but no. Internet privacy is a major issue and I'm not about to blow mine. Too many trolls out there. I am sorry if that does not help your assignment but that is the nature of requesting help via an online forum...I was also just trying to head you off at the pass before you commit to a possibly abortive career choice! Though if you do decide you want to do it, just go for it - one should always do what one loves, and no job is perfect anyway.

And for every person complaining about something on the 'net, there are probably 10 who are perfectly happy about it. Happiness does not need to vent. Hence the suggestion to, at some stage convenient to yourself, get out there and talk to practicing professionals, you may get a more balanced perspective.

Feb 16, 15 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

Feb 16, 15 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
J.Hans

austarch
"Sorry, but no. Internet privacy is a major issue and I'm not about to blow mine. Too many trolls out there. I am sorry if that does not help your assignment but that is the nature of requesting help via an online forum..."

I understand. Thank you anyways! You are right about the internet. I should have thought about that before I asked..haha.

"And for every person complaining about something on the 'net, there are probably 10 who are perfectly happy about it. Happiness does not need to vent. Hence the suggestion to, at some stage convenient to yourself, get out there and talk to practicing professionals, you may get a more balanced perspective."

Yes, I see what you mean, and you are right. Maybe I will talk to a professional sometime. However, I have been researching on architecture a lot lately (outside of this forum), and I am beginning to think it may not be the career for me.
      I love to design buildings, and when I was little, I started drawing floor plans and designing 3-D hotels and houses on computer games (sort of weird for a kid, right? Haha). But, it looks like I underestimated architecture as a career. I just don't think I'm cut out for it. I will probably still design houses, etc. for fun, but not as a career. I have an appreciation for architects, because I now have a better understanding of how hard they work on a day-to-day basis. 

Feb 16, 15 10:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: