Archinect
anchor

#ilookup

b3tadine[sutures]

So, I heard - from my local favorite independent coffee shop friend [who is also a post-modern choreographer and dancer] - that today a super cool independent bagel baker, was having another pop-up shop at the Dogwood Cafe. They are called Rise, and they sell-out within two hours every time they show up. So, I did research on them, found out they are highly thought of, get all sorts of local press, and manage to fill a niche that no one else has; I am from the east coast, and two things - well more than two, but we'll solve the Italian food thing later - they don't have, or didn't have until recently, was a great donut shop, and a great bagel. Yesterday, I sent them an email, telling them what I've been involved with, future involvement, and how I'd love to help them do the same. I went over to talk them up, and buy bagels, hit them early. Alas, they were intensely involved getting ready, and I'd come back later. I did. Line, circled and went out the door. I'll come back. I did. Sold out. Opened at 9 am, sold out at 11. Damn. However, I did talk to the owners, Jen and Kate, sisters, told them who I was, they remembered my email, told them I really wanted to talk to them, and buy bagels - I should've interrupted them they said - talked about their plans, they are planning for shop, talked to them about The Herbivorous Butcher, Jen and Kate know them, and were next to them at a farmers market event in December. The synergies, they are aligning. I talked to them about commercial brokers, getting a designer - for a couple of paid hours - to review spaces, talked to them about the importance of finding spaces that had been commercial kitchens, about T&I money from the landlord/owner, etc. I also talked to them about doing this kind of work, and the passion I had for the independent, local businesses. I got in early, they don't have an architect.

That's my story. I like doing this. It's fun, and keeps me on my toes, I am learning boats, and now I don't need a social lubricant to get out there and sell, it's like having a conversation, with people I care about. That's what being an architect means to me; caring about people and the things they're proud of, and championing their cause.

#ilookup

Feb 15, 15 12:51 am
Carrera

That's exactly how it's done.

Feb 15, 15 9:33 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Can you send me a bagel?  We only have Einsteins around here.  So sad.

Feb 15, 15 10:09 am  · 
 · 

Aren't bagels illegal in Texas?

Feb 15, 15 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Depends on what they're used for, Miles....

Feb 15, 15 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

How did I miss this thread? As Carrera says, that's exactly how it's done. Honesty, in both directions, and passion.

Feb 25, 15 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i looked up. I tripped. I'm suing.

Feb 26, 15 10:00 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Good story. Not so much looking up as looking out though. Both looking out for them and looking out by taking the message out to the people on the street to show what architects can do and how it can save a lot of trouble and get them an awesome product.

Feb 26, 15 5:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: