Archinect
anchor

Apply M.ARCH II without B.ARCH degree

chelmoso

Hi Guys, 

I have a four-year bachelor degree of  architectural technology (B.Tech)  , and I want to apply for the M.ARCH II program.  I know most of the school website says M.ARCH II (1yr) is for people who already have a B.ARCH degree and M.ARCH I (3yr)  is for people who have a four-year degree in any major.   I've been working in the field for five years and I've finished my IDP.  I already applied to take the ARE exam and the board approved my application. 

My question is, according to my background, can I apply for M. ARCH II?  I don't wanna spend another 3 years in M. ARCH I.  What if I get my license, can I apply for M.ARCH II? 

Feb 14, 15 9:06 pm
natematt

First off, if you have a four year degree in technology or any four year degree in architecture for that matter, then you can’t possibly become licensed in the US, because you don’t have a professional degree yet.

That said.

There are two approaches to M.Arch degrees.

School Approach 1:

- 3-3.5 year degree for anyone with a four year degree of any kind

- 1.5-2 year degree for someone with a four year degree in architectural design, usually a B.S.arch, or B.A.arch

School Approach 2:

- 3-3.5 year professional degree for anyone with a four year degree of any kind

- 1-2 year a post-professional degree for people with a professional degree in architecture, a 5 year BArch.

I actually think approach 1 is more common, but I could be wrong. Whatever the case, you can’t do the post-professional degree. If they say the degree is for BArch’s only, you’re out of luck. However, there is hope! First option: you could look at schools with approach 1, and see if you can do their abbreviated program. Second option: you can look at schools with Approach 2, and ask for advanced placement in the professional degree, which is how they accommodate people with previous architecture backgrounds. You might be able to get into one and only do a couple years.

Feb 14, 15 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
kissy_face

Natematt is incorrect- There are a number of states where you are still eligible to become a licensed architect with a 4 year degree in architecture. I'm sure the OP knows but for others who are unsure check the link below.

http://www.ncarb.org/en/Getting-an-Initial-License/Registration-Board-Requirements/Initial-Registration-Requirements.aspx

skip down to number 4,4a for the complete list.

Natematt is correct about M.ARCH II. The program is based upon the applicant completing the requirements of NAAB in the professional degree. There are no credits in the M.Arch II degree that are required for an NAAB program because it is assumed that you already completed them; that is why most NAAB programs are somewhat opened ended in the curriculum.

There are some programs for M.ARCH I that will allow graduates of certain undergrad programs to attend for a shorter amount of time (around 2.5 years).

Feb 15, 15 1:19 am  · 
 · 
natematt

I stand corrected! Thanks for the info. 

You don't even need a college education apparently.

I actually think she should be able to apply to the post-professional program then. She'll have to be clear about her background, but still, she would fit the profile for the program.

Feb 15, 15 2:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: