Archinect
anchor

Grad school + Full time job

rodrigo91c
Hey there

I was just curious to know if any of you have dealt with the overwhelming pressure of going to school full time and working full time? And if so, how did you manage it?

Little background; I've been working for this firm for a little bit over a year and I sent them a formal letter asking for their approval to pay for my grad school. After a few months of waiting, they decided to take a chance on me and it worked out. Granted, I had to comply and agree to certain terms to abide to the contract.

That being said, I've managed the hours to fit both into my life. And so far I'm a month and a half into school.

A month and a half and I have noticed a juggernaut of abuse haha. Excuse my sour humor, but I already feel like an exhausted, little Chinese boy working in a Nike sweatshop. Now I'm trying to find a silver lining for the future.

Anyway, I'm gonna grind this semester out and see how it works out. But the purpose of my thread is for someone who has been or is in my position. Here's my q:

Hypothetically speaking, if I can't handle both to my standard of work, or if I regress, should I quit school and just work my way up?

Going to grad school isn't automatic or consequential to me. But I do admire the idea. However, I find myself in a nutshell because my employers have given me an opportunity that I gratefully value. And quiting my job isn't an option as the contract has boundaries.

Let me know what yall think!

I appreciate your time for reading my vague post.

Feb 12, 15 5:12 am
x intern

I worked pretty much full time my 4th and 5th year of arch school.  Typically did 16 hours of architecture a day with a few ours out for non arch classes and many more hours as deadlines approached.  Its rough but in reality I could get a lot more done than a typical student in the same amount of time due to a few things.  First limit your fun time in studio if you watch most of those guys are screwing around most of the time, if you focus you don't have to stay up all night.  Second treat your projects like work, get a direction and produce you don't have to sit around pondering your belly button on every decision.  Lastly utilize the better equipment and facilities of your office after hours to really leverage your time.  I would typically set up renderings on a few computers and work on drawings or something else while the computers did their work.  

You probably aren't going to have the same experience as a traditional student but it is possible.  Another tip work like a demon all weak and take your weekends off.  I loved coming in on Monday rested and ready to see all the strung out people to tired to really accomplish anything productive.  Most of the work typically done by an architecture student is self inflected pain, work smarter not harder.

Feb 12, 15 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
toosaturated

It's hard but not impossible. I am in thesis now while working full-time. You have to learn how to separate work from school.

Usually after work I go to school and do my homework. I find it easier to be focus if I'm not working at home. On weekends I spend pretty much both days working on hw and I usually take the night off. There will be times you'll have to pick one over the other. My boss went through the same thing so work is pretty flexible.

Feb 13, 15 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

What a waste of a grad school experience.  rushing out of studio to do some fucking redlines?  no thanks.  

Either focus on work, get your license and forgo grad school, or go to school and focus on that 110%.  You are not going to get shit out of grad school unless you engage in studio culture which means fuck your job.  just sayin.  

Feb 13, 15 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: