Archinect
anchor

ArchiPAC

gruen

Just got an email from the AIA about ArchiPAC. I was excited to see that the AIA might finally be getting into the business of maybe, perhaps, suggesting that architects need a voice in Washington.

I was a little disheartened to learn that the mission is:

"ArchiPAC is not about influencing legislation. It’s about architects speaking with a unified voice by supporting candidates who are willing to listen and work with us on the issues that impact our profession and the built environment."

WTF? Why would we send a lobbyist to Washington unless, say, they were going to actually do something? 

I'm pretty sure that "supporting candidates that are willing to listen" means exactly zilch. 

How about, "providing an out-sized influence on candidates that are willing to write and pass legislation that will improve the status and finances of Architects"?

I was also disappointed that the email was asking for money to support this cause. I thought that's why I paid AIA dues in the first place. 

Anyway, check it out at:

http://archipac.org/

Feb 11, 15 5:37 pm

Keys in nicely with the AIA advertising campaign. More evidence that the AIA is here to promote - wait for it - the AIA!

Feb 11, 15 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Gruen: I believe there are legal prohibitions against using dues money for lobbying efforts - it would put AIA's 501(c)(3) status in jeopardy if the Institute did direct lobbying. That's why ArchiPAC was set up.

As to your broader point, AIA doesn't have (through ArchiPAC) the financial resources necessary to mount a truly effective lobbying campaign -- the dollars we could throw at that endeavor would be laughable compared to what truly deep-pocket organizations (think Koch Bros.)  can muster.

What little money we do have available for the purposes of "influence" is thought best suited supporting candidates who have an understanding and appreciation for what we're all about. This is not a new strategy.

AIA will never have much political influence until members of the profession dig deep and start supporting these efforts in a significant way. I'm not holding my breath expecting that to happen during my lifetime.

Feb 11, 15 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

BTW, this link will give you some idea of what the "big boys" spend each year on their lobbying efforts: https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/top.php?indexType=s&showYear=2014

AIA has about 88,000 members -- if even 1/2 of those members (which is a huge stretch) contributed $100 / year (another huge stretch) to ArchiPAC, AIA would only have about $4.4 million / year for this purpose.

However, this is the REALITY: through November 30, 2014, ArchiPAC raised a whopping total of  $276,142 in 2014.

You can't do much meaningful work in this arena with just a little more than $250,000.

Feb 11, 15 8:25 pm  · 
 · 

Hey - let's buy some legislation!

And we're talking about this as if that's the way it should work.

Feb 11, 15 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Miles: Well -- of course, that's not the way any thinking citizen would like for it to work.

But, big money interests have co-opted our politicians via massive campaign contributions and powerful lobbying efforts. While we might wish it were otherwise, until there's sufficient political will to change the way legislation is undertaken (which I'm also not holding my breath expecting that to happen in my lifetime) this is the status quo. 

We must deal with the reality as it exists -- or work to change that reality. Either way, AIA doesn't have much influence over either option.

Feb 11, 15 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Yeah, when I read the list of donation amounts to various candidates, I could tell that we are small potatoes.

Hmm.

Still wish the AIA did/could do more.

Today though, I'm keeping my year old promise and dipping my toe into getting involved w my local AIA, beyond just paying dues...
Feb 12, 15 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

How about, "providing an out-sized influence on candidates that are willing to write and pass legislation that will improve the status and finances of Architects"?

How could they possibly do that? 

Feb 12, 15 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

blackmail?

racketeering?

Feb 12, 15 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
bsek

If you want to see another example or a group  some of us work with, just look at the National Association of Home Builders: https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/clientsum.php?id=D000000086&year=2014.

Right now about 2% of all AIA members contribute to ArchiPAC. Quizzical is correct on the dues issue because so many firms pay the dues with corporate checks, there are potential election law violations all over the place if the AIA were to accept them.  The AIA is successful with what it does, 90% of those supported through ArchiPAC won in the last election. But a lot of candidates that members asked to support couldn't be looked at because there were no funds.  

Do you want to be even more depressed, the number by Quizzical above, $276,142, was for the election cycle...meaning two years.  Therefore...AIA raises about $138,071 per year in the PAC from about 85,000 members - yep, that's about $1.63 a member.  I am not sure how many legislators would look at that as "support".  I think if you look back at the last ArchiPAC newsletter, there is something like 50 people last year you gave between $500 and $2500.  Add those up and you get a little less than a third of the contributions came from 50 members.   The other 84,950, not so much.  If everyone does $20 however, that would be unbelievable.  I doubt anyone would even miss it.  But that is not reality.  I think anyone at AIA would easily take $10 from every member.

Feb 20, 15 7:48 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Perhaps the AIA could use other funds for lobbying? What do I know.
Feb 21, 15 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
bsek

AIA can and does spend money from dues on the government relations team, some who are lobbyists.  The problem is that they don't have the PAC money to use to help in the effort.  Kind of like building a stick framed house without a nail gun, hammer, or nails. 

Feb 22, 15 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: