Archinect
anchor

Expected landscape designer salary

peterc24
Hi all,

It's been over a year since graduating from college with an accredited degree in landscape architecture. I worked at a private landscape architecture firm for a year but have been laid off since.

I was wondering what is the expected salary as a landscape designer with about a year experience in California.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations on landscape architecture firms here in Southern California, that would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Feb 9, 15 2:36 am
Lscapeisaverb

Three points of refernce in  order of cost (high to low).

1- Design Intelligence releases and annual survey regarding salaries. It may be pricey for you but is a valuable resource. Check if the local design program has a copy in their library.

2- The ASLA surveys graduating students annually to find out what their salaries are. However, the information is not as granular in its representation as the design intelligent survey. 

3- Use your alumni network to find out who was working where in Southern California.contact professors and  career services to see if they have references or databases that you may have access to.Then email these people to ask if they have information regarding entry-level salaries (without revealing theirs).

Good luck!

Feb 9, 15 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Entry, jr level salaries are pretty consistently 35k to 45k across the us with the higher end being in large cities. Of course there are exceptions like NYC.

Feb 9, 15 11:02 am  · 
 · 
Lscapeisaverb

Then I believe you've answered your question. On average, one year of experience will not net you a significant salary increase. You would need to clearly demonstrate abilities far beyond office expectation with respect to design and practice to warrant a notable increase.

Feb 9, 15 2:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: