Archinect
anchor

What was your path of education?

mcb1019

Hi there. I have done quite a lot of research on architecture and interior design, and posted quite a few threads regarding those topics as well (check history :) ). I'm struggling to choose between the two for a career.

I'm curious, for those who are architects, what was your path of education to become an architect? For those who are interior designers, what was your path?

Thank you!

mcb1019

Feb 7, 15 3:55 pm
-------

If you're having such a hard time deciding, have you considered studying architecture with a minor in interior design, or some similar arrangement?

Feb 7, 15 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
mcb1019

@jw468

Wellll... I don't know whether I like architecture more, or interior design more. Interior Designers still draw out the rooms and floor plan of the house/apartment/building/etc right? It's not just the architects that draw? Interior Designers don't ​just pick furniture and wall color do they? I think I'm getting confused :/

Feb 7, 15 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Interior designers suck... They are wannabe architects,,, you will always require an architect if you want to do something more significant to an interior... Dont go with what you like... Go with what you have to to eventually do what you like... You dont ever have to use your license as an architect if you dont want to, but at least yoh will have the option if you need it.

Feb 7, 15 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
-------

I suggested the degree in architecture because I believe you can become an interior designer with that degree, if you wish; however, you cannot become an architect with an interior design degree. The interior design minor would expose you to courses that are specific to that course of study that aren't usually taken by architecture students, such as environmental psychology, etc.

To be blunt, the architecture degree leaves more doors open and allows you to be indecisive for a longer period of time.

Feb 7, 15 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
mcb1019

So, I need suggestions...

So major in arch and minor in ID? Or double major in both arch and interior design? How long does that take? I've read that it takes 4-5 years to obtain a Bachelor's Degree in Architecture (B.Arch, or so I've learned it's called), but only 2-3 years to obtain a Master's Degree in Architecture (M.Arch...all this research is paying off :) )? Why does it take less time to get a M.Arch? Also, is a Master's Degree in Interior Designs needed, or is a Bachelor's Degree alright? I just want to ensure that I graduate for a decent career. 

Thank you!

M

Feb 7, 15 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
Korearch

The reason why it takes less time to get a M.Arch is that this degree bases on an assumption that you have successfully learned very fundamental but crucial architectural knowledges throughout your B.Arch course; space and program, structure and details, materials, and history and some theories.  

M.Arch is for whom pursues to get further design research skill, very deep research in architectural theories and history, and also cutting-edge computational technic, applicable to recent design tendency. And also, M.Arch is very professional degree that you prepare for becoming a licensed architect.

I recommend you to become an architect: Architecture is very inclusive and comprehensive so you can imagine interior stuffs in your whole architectural projects. Both architecture and interior cannot be thought to be separated.

Feb 7, 15 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

If you want to be a licensed architect you have three choices. 

• Accredited B.Arch (5 years)
  • Bachelors of Science in Architecture (4 years) + an accredited Master of Architecture intended for people with architecture background (1.5-2 years)  
  • A non-architecture degree, or shorter architecture degree like a Bachelors of Art in Architecture (probably 4 years) + an accredited Master degree specifically directed at those without an architecture background (3.5 years)

You can do any additional degrees you like during, after or before. Obviously what you chose to do otherwise will likely influence the path you take.

You don’t even have to have a degree to do interior design. This is not to say it’s not beneficial, but rather the requirements are not the same. A lot of interior designers that work in architecture firms are trained as architects, but just take a different career path.

I think the most logical path for this would be taking the third choice I mentioned, and doing an undergrad degree in interior design before you get the master degree in architecture. Of course this would end up being around seven years. I think the shortest route would be to get a B.Arch, and just do electives/minor in interior design so that you have some experience.

Feb 7, 15 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
mcb1019

Thank you all so much for this information! It is very helpful, and I plan to use this advice to help me plan my education :D

Thank you!

M

Feb 8, 15 1:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: