Archinect
anchor

Seeking your feedback on new floor plan after fire

Miles, what JeromeS said (welcome, Jerome!): Section 60K specifically says "architectural designer" cannot be used unless one is registered, and that other terms etc. implying that one is offering to engage in the practice of design are also not allowed. Her title block sayd Architectural Design, which is just two letters off of the term cited in the code; her intent is clear.

As I said above, whether or not she's licensed has no bearing on whether or not she's a good designer. House design is easy to do acceptably well (or at least not tragically poorly).  Some people do it exceptionally well, and some of those people are licensed architects, while some aren't.

Feb 7, 15 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

A law that allows you to do a specific kind of work but prohibits you from saying that you do. 

Perfect.

Feb 7, 15 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

Yah.  More from a well-thumbed rule book.

Feb 7, 15 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

So can the term "Architectural Design" be legally used and advertised? 

What about "Architectural Design / Build?

Feb 7, 15 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Mchelle looks like she lives in a vinyl sided raised ranch....sigh!  So much for Architectural Designer.

Feb 7, 15 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

go do it, the answer varies by state. Find your own state's code online about titling and terminology and see what it says. The statue from Massachusetts I linked to above specifically references "architectural" as being a protected term, but I don't think all states do so.

Feb 7, 15 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

This thread should have been removed.  The sport of outing Michelle on a public forum doesn't seem particularly ethical. 

Feb 7, 15 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

In N.M. the use of any derivative of the word architect used to imply architectural services is not allowed.

Well, that gets me a thinkin'

If people can't use architect or architectural in any way what about using a synonym of architect. 

I thinks I will start using " Spawner of Design"

Feb 7, 15 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

master builder

Feb 7, 15 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
-------

I think I'll call myself a Propagator of Pleasurable Properties to make up for all the action I apparently will not be getting.

Feb 7, 15 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
As a MA licensed & registered architect, I've picked up a few crappy projects that have begun such as this one. The main losers are the owners who start w someone who can't complete the project-either because of the law, or of their skill or both.

This project is a small single family home and does not require an "archi-anything".

The Michelle should be more careful.
Feb 7, 15 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

For what it is worth i think taking out the second stairway to the second floor is really a bad idea. Especially after a fire? Hello? And you don't need a stairway access to the basement at the front door.

Feb 8, 15 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Now we are gonna ironically offer crits of the plan? LoL- how about the space between the library and the kitchen/dining? Is it unlabeled because it's awkward and nearly unusable? Me the shitter is so convenient - guest will enjoy using, I think.

Feb 8, 15 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

^ Consulting starts @ $250/hr. plus expenses.

And people complain about devaluation of the profession. Volunteer is aptly named.

Feb 8, 15 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I don,t think pointing out an obvious fire hazard is unprofessional, quite the opposite. There are quite a few other changes I would make. In deference to the designer, we don't know how many of the changes were insisted upon by the owner. I

Feb 9, 15 9:13 am  · 
 · 
gruen

Although i only glanced at the plans, I thought the stair was moved, not one of them eliminated? Regardless, the stair right at the entry feels awkward, sure, it happens all the time, but we try to avoid it if possible especially when you have the options - such as when you are doing a full gut renovation & addition. 

...and winder stairs, while not really illegal, are kinda frowned upon by code & are a bit difficult to build, esp. in MA. The ones shown here I don't think are to code. 

Oh, dang, I have to ask for my $250/hr too. Although I'll work for beer as well, say a whole truckload of beer.

Feb 9, 15 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
Agree, I can't stand stairs immediately inside the front door. Bad feng shui. Center Hall Colonials (which this house is not) are the worst, most prissy house type IMO.
Feb 10, 15 6:53 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The whole plan is like a poorly fitting yet tailored suit, but we don't know much about the project or what the owner wants, so can't really comment. 

Feb 10, 15 8:21 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Bad feng-shui is the best kind. It gets my chi all worked up. Needs more kitschy buda fountains thou.

Feb 10, 15 8:22 am  · 
 · 

Bad feng-shui inflames my knee chakras.

Feb 10, 15 10:33 am  · 
 · 
go do it

I had some bad feng shui once. On the toilet for a week. 

Somebody had to do it.

Feb 10, 15 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

Now I understand.  Public shaming is appreciated.

Feb 10, 15 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

back from a florida vacation - this is a good thread to start out with.  

My only thing to add is that michelle isn't a moonlighting intern, seems like she should know better.  but as others have said, who knows what the client wants

Feb 10, 15 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

I adore you guys, all of you!  <insert archi-hug emoticon here>

Feb 10, 15 12:46 pm  · 
 · 

Are bathtub bump-outs a thing?  I don't know my residential trends. #askingforafriend

Feb 10, 15 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

+++ go do it bad feng shui

Feb 11, 15 8:40 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Troy, they are a thing. Usually drawn with clear glass and then later built with obscure glass unless the site is remote enough.

Feb 11, 15 11:37 am  · 
 · 

fair enough.  I like the idea of a view, but this just feels like a wart to me.

Feb 11, 15 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: