Archinect
anchor

Screw you, You Cheap SOB!

greatescape

Be GLAD i'm not charging you f-cking 10-15% of total construction cost. 

Why NOW after you signed the dotted line and agreed, happily cutting checks to roll back and say "You charged me way too much sir", I should get a discount on that change order, I should get a discount on the long distance transportation, I should get a discount because I know more than you!

All I charged you was 5%. 

- Dick.

Feb 3, 15 11:18 pm
citizen

I sense a recurring theme...

Feb 3, 15 11:40 pm  · 
 · 

Next time charge them 15% for Carrying Charges.

Feb 3, 15 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

wheres joe pesce when you need him

Feb 4, 15 12:15 am  · 
 · 
greatescape

@citizen, it sure is! 

1.2 million dollar home, and they complain about the costs? 

yeah.

- client habit

Feb 4, 15 12:28 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Hold firm.

Feb 4, 15 12:29 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Lien on them. Hold out on sign-offs. Don't approve GC reqs (discuss this with GC first of course). Etc....

Feb 4, 15 6:54 am  · 
 · 

Low fees attract cheap clients.

You need a copy of my book: The Hamptons Dictionary. PM me and I'll send you one.

Feb 4, 15 8:54 am  · 
 · 
greatescape

Hey miles, yeah that's true. Problem is when you have the majority of folks around my area charging less than 5% it's very hard to get work. I have this problem with the older firms that are charging even 2%- 3%. I'll get lucky from time to time. Lately its been okay, getting clients that see my work is worth their time and actually end up paying me 10% or more even. Failed to mention, but this project is a residential project in the SA hill country.

How do you do it when dealing with a potential client and the numbers come about?

Feb 4, 15 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

Psychology should be a required component of all architectural education.

State your fee. If they balk, they can save money by reducing the scope. Otherwise, "Sorry, you can't afford me."

Feb 4, 15 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Jeepers. I hope your clients don't browse this site...

Feb 4, 15 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

"The Hampton Dictionary"  Where can this be purchased....on amazon .com.....?  Or is it written on a roll of toilet paper, or a roll of bum wad?

Feb 4, 15 7:10 pm  · 
 · 

snook, shoot me an email, I'll send you an autographed copy. Or AMZ if you insist.

Feb 4, 15 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
cncguy
@great.....I live in SA hill country in Boerne...we should talk, although I work for a downtown firm doing k-12. Anyway I know it's hard up here residentially speaking, especially with all the 'designers' up here
Feb 4, 15 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

I read the thread title as "Screw you, You Cheap OSB!" (dyslectic??) and expected a very different discussion. That is all.

Feb 5, 15 7:09 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

SA?  Is that San Antone, or something else entirely?  I'm curious.  If so, PM me your website. I'd like to look at your stuff.

Feb 5, 15 10:01 am  · 
 · 
proto

greatescape, go hourly on your fee or this won't be your last thread on this

Feb 5, 15 11:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: