Archinect
anchor

Professional Associations stance on design competitions

bowling_ball

Just stumbled across this interesting bit of news.  The Canadian gov't is holding a graphic design competition for a logo, where the student winner gets $5k. Runners-up get nothing.

Interestingly, the Graphic Designers of Canada (professional association) is urging students to not enter, and wrote an open letter to the gov't explaining why this is exploitative. 

I don't think my association has made its stance known (that's just too much to expect, right?) but I agree and I think it's worthwhile to have this discussion with youngsters (and oldsters) in our industry.  

Unless it's for charity or non-profit, we should all expect to be paid for our work. It's ridiculous that this is even a conversation...

Feb 3, 15 10:12 pm
x-jla
  1. agree^  only work I will do for free is beer tasting. 
Feb 4, 15 12:23 am  · 
 · 
greatescape

@jla-x, speaking of beer, I love my Jeremiah Red crafty beer. 

Feb 4, 15 12:33 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I accept beer at par. I assumed this was an industry standard.

Anyway - maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, and folks here don't mind working for free.

Feb 4, 15 12:58 am  · 
 · 
IamGray

I doubt anyone enjoys working for free, but project acquisition is always a non-billable part of the job.

I find most competitions quite dubious, but they certainly can be a way of securing real, paying commissions. 

It's not so simple.

Feb 5, 15 7:07 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Professional association of graphic designers?

Feb 5, 15 8:33 am  · 
 · 
fulcrum

I don't think participating in competition is all about winning or losing; it helps ones to keep honing his/her design skill... and you get a nice project to put in your portfolio at the end. I don't think I would have landed at a position where I am without doing any competition (worked at a firm that spewed out junk after junk during the recession... ugh)

However, I've always avoided the competitions that ask a lot of $ to enter.... like entry fee is $250 while the winner gets $3,000...

Feb 5, 15 8:55 am  · 
 · 

Aside from a bad website, they have these 'ethical' rules for members:

https://www.gdc.net/tools-resources/design-buyers/design-contests

It would be interesting to see a link to the actual competition.

Feb 5, 15 9:14 am  · 
 · 
anaiira

http://www.canada150.gc.ca/eng/1407417717020

I'm pretty torn on this. Competitions get you quantity with no guarantee of quality. Especially if your target is students. But it's also a kind of good opportunity for students to... doodle something? (which =/= logo design)

Feb 5, 15 2:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: