Archinect
anchor

Exporting a CAD file to Photoshop?

JollyJed

Hello guys! 

I am having trouble exporting a CAD file to photoshop and need some advice:) I have created a plotter which i export the file to and then open up with photoshop but the image is coming in tiny with the lines blurred/distorted :/ I am a first year Architecture student and am wanting to export a section and floor plan so i can render some things.

Am i right in drawing a 2m wall as 2000 in autocad? this is what i followed when i was drawing but each time i put it into photoshop its tiny and distorted.. what am i doing wrong?

Many thanks guys, Jed. 

Jan 30, 15 6:08 pm
SneakyPete

One method is to print to a PDF at a very high quality on a "paper" that is at least as large as you want the final print to be. Edit the PDF driver settings to adjust the DPI.

Then when you open it in PS, rasterize it at a high DPI.

There are other ways as well.

Jan 30, 15 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
JollyJed

Could you explain a bit further please mate? So i would export my CAD file to a PDF At a very high quality on say a4 sized paper? 

Jan 30, 15 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Not export. Print. Edit the printer settings and adjust quality settings so that they're very high. This assumes you have Acrobat Pro (or some PDF printer driver) and know how to use it.

Jan 30, 15 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
JollyJed

Unfortunately not bud, but ill look into getting it as all other methods i have tried have failed so hopefully this one works! 

Jan 30, 15 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
rmsbarreto
You should print a draw region and choose on print setup DWG to PDF. Then you choose the paper size, could be ISO A4, ISO A3, etc.
When you press OK, you gonna save the file in your folder!
When you open in photoshop set on 150 or high dpi!!
Jan 30, 15 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

check your print and model space scale settings if the drawings are coming out at a wrong size

Jan 30, 15 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
JollyJed

What sizing should they be mate? its my first time every doing something like this in cad so im a bit unsure!

Many thanks 

Jan 30, 15 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
JollyJed

''You should print a draw region and choose on print setup DWG to PDF''

What do you mean by print a draw region? i have never come across that term before mate!

Jan 30, 15 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
Menona

There's also the option of opening the DWG in Illustrator (or the section of the drawing) and manipulating the lines in AI (using scaling - select all, scale percentage) to get it to the desired output size.  You can then go back and forth between AI & Photoshop more easily.

Or if you're in school first year, just track down one of the older students that's been there for a while and get them to walk you through it.

Jan 31, 15 10:55 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

just to add to the confusion 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mftfvy832GY

Feb 2, 15 4:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: