Archinect
anchor

A 3.64 GPA graduate who couldn't choose the right path!

adamsayash

Hello, 

I was graduated since 2013 with a B.S. in architecture engineering with GPA 3.64 (Ranked 5th) and I worked for companies as well as design studios but after a year I felt that PRACTICING architecture is not what I really want. Then I become more and more interested in research and academic life...specially what is related to architectural history/theory/criticism. 

But the problem here is that I don't know what to do after gaining these academic degrees (Master & PhD) ...I'd like to work as a researcher not as a professor! ... so I have some questions I need someone help me to answer them...

1-- In which fields and positions could the one who will be graduated from the program like ((MIT: PhD in History and Theory of Architecture))  work in ??? (both academic and industrial)

2-- and Is it LATE to decide now what path should I follow after 2 years of graduation ???

I sometimes feel that I'm confused about just staying in practicing which I don't  really enjoy rather than begin my master degree in something that I'm passionate about  While losing years of practical experience which my colleagues (who are practicing) will gain in the same period  !!!

Thanks,

Jan 30, 15 3:54 pm
curtkram

if you want to be a researcher and not a professor, you need someone to give you lots of grant money or other funding right?  have you looked into how you would get people to give you lots of money?

you have a PhD from MIT?  perhaps you could help us out with our understanding of 'traditional' and 'modern' architecture, and how it can relate to various situational contexts, such as the wasteland of manitoba?

Jan 30, 15 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

curt, not even a PHD from MIT can help with Manitoba.

Jan 30, 15 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Antoine Predock can!

Jan 30, 15 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Curt, I'm only on my first beer... I'll need more before I can entertain a conversation about that Winnipeg museum. This made me laugh thou.

Jan 30, 15 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
adamsayash

@curtkram:  I'm now preparing myself for applying to Korean government scholarship (master degree) so I still don't have a master degree , I only mentioned MIT program because I want to apply for it after finishing my master degree! 

My question was about :Where could I be capable of work in after acquiring a PhD in history and theory ? a professor ? a research in research institute ? working in museum ?! I don't know !

Jan 30, 15 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
natematt
So to be clear, you don't have a background in architecture... You have a background in engineering. What was your role in the places you worked?
Feb 2, 15 3:28 am  · 
 · 
adamsayash

@natematt 

My role in the places I worked in was a technical office engineer in a contracting company & a designer in Interior design office! But the question here I need an answer for it : In which fields and positions could the one who will be graduated from the program like (( History and Theory of Architecture))  work in ??? (both academic and industrial)

Feb 2, 15 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

So you haven't been practicing (or studying) architecture at all, you've studied and worked as an engineer. What makes you think you would be accepted to an architectural theory or history graduate program when you have no background whatsoever in those fields of study?

Feb 2, 15 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

A lot of people are accepted into Master's degree programs in architecture that have no background in architecture "whatsoever" so what's the difference?

Feb 2, 15 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

Since my wife has a PHd in architectural history & theory I think I can definitely say that there isn't any money for a private researcher. There's barely any money for a professor. My wife does get grants, but it'd be a joke to live on these without her salary. I don't know any fields that would have use for a researcher. Maybe those "consulting" companies could have a job for you, but you'd have to be able to answer this question yourself, clearly and forcefully in order to display value to them. 

Generally the fields (at least in the US) you'd be doing:

- professor

- architect

- historic preservation (which is also an architect)

I can't think of any others...

Feb 2, 15 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Several colleges offer a Masters degree in Historic Preservation without an architecture degree, Tulane and the University of Georgia being two that come to mind. 

Feb 2, 15 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
adamsayash

@placebeyondthesplines: Well, Here in my country the difference between the architect & the engineer is not that clear! 

@gruen: Thanks a lot! let me ask you if you don't mind: does historic preservation (which is also an architect) is like what I found in the section of "Jobs" on  the society of Architectural historians website: (http://www.sah.org/jobs-and-careers/sah-career-center

"Historian
SEARCH is seeking a full time Historian to support our energy, military and transportation clients. Responsibilities for the position include, but are not limited to, historical research in archives and libraries; oral history interviews; the development of historic contexts; and analysis of historical maps and aerial photographs."

Feb 2, 15 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Have you ever considered doing an Arch PhD with an emphasis other than Theory/History.

I feel like there are more job options, and your background would likely support that path better.

There is no reason why you couldn't do a PhD in T/H if you wanted. I do wonder what impact your background had on your disinterest in the architectural profession though. Here I the US you'd end up in a much different role than someone with a MArch, BArch, or BSArch. And it sounds like you did for at least one of your jobs.

Feb 2, 15 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

@Volunteer 

The difference is that M.Arch programs are designed to give students without architecture backgrounds a few accelerated semesters to help get them caught up. History/theory programs do not. The expectation there is that you will have a preparatory undergraduate degree.

Also: http://bit.ly/Yv26qH

Feb 3, 15 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

What countries are you looking at or able to work/study in?  You might consider looking at programmes in the UK and Europe which seems to have a larger community of professional researchers (yes, even in architecture).  You should also arrange to talk to faculty at the programmes you are considering about possible job paths afterwards.

If you are interested in conservation, there is: http://www.arct.cam.ac.uk/courses/mst-building-history-1

If you want to take a more academic path, there are some funded PhD's in the UK which you can keep track of via jobs.ac.uk which is the UK website for all academic job listings including researchers and lecturers.  This will also give you an idea of potential future jobs and their requirements.  Although do be aware, these are all highly competitive.  

Last, 2 years after your BS is hardly too late to change your mind about your career goals.  You are fine, and if anything your additional experience will give you a bonus perspective that people who go straight through the academic route may not have.

Good luck.

Feb 6, 15 11:09 am  · 
 · 
adamsayash

@Kayla Friedman : Thank you so much !! 

Feb 6, 15 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: