Archinect
anchor

Help Save a Paul Rudolph Icon in danger of being destroyed

kardoin

I realize many people have tried, but figured if we can get a number of signatures or rally enough energy someone will help / pay attention!

Please sign the below petition to save a Paul Rudolph Masterpiece in Goshen, New York. It is on the brink of being dismantled. NYC Architect Gene Kaufman has offered to buy it, restore it and reuse it, but local authorities are hell-bent on getting rid of it. 

HELP! Please sign

Petition - https://www.change.org/p/orange-county-legislature-save-an-architectural-icon-by-selling-it?recruiter=24544&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=share_email_responsive

NY Times Article about the Building - http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/28/arts/paul-rudolph-building-in-goshen-ny-faces-threat.html?emc=eta1&_r=0

Images credit of New York Times

Jan 30, 15 11:03 am
chark

Maybe contact Professor Timothy Rohan at UMass Amherst, he just wrote an extensive book on Rudolph's work... He might be able to give some weight.

Jan 30, 15 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Now I understand Gene Kaufman.

Jan 30, 15 8:35 pm  · 
 · 

@Olaf, care to elaborate?

Feb 11, 15 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Gene Kaufman #1: 'The Ugliest Building in Brooklyn'?

since you ask Nam....years ago...  I was there in the lobby in place of an interior designer (which meant she didn't really want to be there), don't remember if she got the job or not, we didn't really care...  The realtors didn't know what to think.  The kitchen island in the 1st floor apartment had been put 1' too close to the building wall and the project architect for Kaufman said the contractor had to move it (barely understood the project architects English) and the contractor just yelled in Chinese and then translated back to English.

Then we got a ride to the subway by the Chinese contractor who bragged about his 'knock-off' Hummer he imported from China.  Yes, he imported a 'knock-off' Hummer into the US and said it ran better..

you be the judge....brutal

no amount of psychedelic tile could save this building...

Feb 11, 15 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

This Paul Rudolph building does have a passing similarity to the Texas house on another thread, does it not?

Feb 12, 15 8:38 am  · 
 · 

You want to save it? Buy it.

Feb 12, 15 9:06 am  · 
 · 

Miles, someone *has* offered to buy it. The City Commissioner or something like that has a grudge against the building and wants to see it demolished, so he's fighting the legitimate offer.

Feb 12, 15 10:24 am  · 
 · 

Odds are he has a financial interest. Backdoor, of course. 

Feb 12, 15 11:14 am  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

Whoever touches this building may he live the rest of his/her life in Chernobyl! 

@Donna Sink,

Just asking, is Archinect your Facebook? :D

Feb 12, 15 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
richardbecherer

Folks,

The building is a masterwork and should be protected.  I wrote the first bio of Paul Rudolph in the Macmillan Dictionary of Architecture back in the early 80s.  Trust me, it's important and a new use should be found for the building.  It's hard to believe that government offices cannot continue to be accommodated in its spaces.  Richard Becherer, Ph.D.

Mar 16, 18 5:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: