Archinect
anchor

My definition of architecture

Rio9891

No matter what the issue or idea is, architecture cannot solve it. Architecture is only a modulated envelope of space that moderates activity while moving the human senses through its physical and spatial composition to give a greater meaning to those activities. 

Jan 28, 15 6:16 am
Rio9891

Those activities are the essence to the solution and require a host, off course architecture that is. 

Jan 28, 15 6:19 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Did someone pull an all nighter angry at studio prof?

Jan 28, 15 7:27 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What is this, a first year essay intro?

Better than your cinema "thesis" idea thou, so that's a plus.

Jan 28, 15 8:28 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

Did someone ask you for your definition of architecture? Is there a reason why anyone anywhere should give a fuck?

Jan 28, 15 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Rio9891

@placebeyondthesplines: This is an architecture forum where ideas relative to architecture are shared, please leave this forum, I think you are lost son. 

Jan 28, 15 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Rio9891

@Non Sequitur: We are still waiting for your portfolio 

Jan 28, 15 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Rio9891

@Olaf Design Ninja: I thin its more self reasoning 

Jan 28, 15 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Rio, who are we and why should I care?

Jan 28, 15 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Rio9891

@Non Sequitur: Im not going to answer that, im going to leave you in question - the way you left me when I reached out for thesis advice.

Jan 28, 15 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

cute.

Jan 28, 15 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

umadbro

Jan 28, 15 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Man this site can be hostile...

No matter what the issue or idea is, architecture cannot solve it. Architecture is only a modulated envelope of space that moderates activity while moving the human senses through its physical and spatial composition to give a greater meaning to those activities.

Those activities are the essence to the solution and require a host, off course architecture that is.  

I think are you are reacting negatively to the common over-reaching of architectural claims. I don't blame people for throwing a fit when architecture is touted as a way to solve social issues etc., but I think saying it has no part is just as big of a mistake. Many of these things do not have clear solutions, and if they do then it's never one aspect that can be taken and applied to solve them.

People take the interweaving of things far too lightly. If something facilitates a solution it is part of the solution. Architecture is either more or less part of the solution to any issue it has any applicable and perceivable relevance. In my observation it is less a part of a great number of issues, and more a part of very few.

Jan 28, 15 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Start with the Berlin Wall, read some early Koolhaas....... a host is usually running the show at the grammys. Your thesis is too much denial, hence it felt like an angry all nighter prof statement.

Jan 29, 15 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

Bitch, you better have the car running when you drop that shit in here...

Jan 29, 15 8:28 pm  · 
 · 

Rio9891: So exactly why are you in architecture school?

This is another demonstration of the need for a ten post minimum before having the ability to thread bomb. The guy's pissed about responses - and/or lack thereof - to his previous thread so he's laying another turd here. 

Jan 29, 15 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
ROB4

Haha , hey I vote for miles Jaffe to be in the next pod cast, you would be way more interesting / entertaining to hear than Donna . By the way what happened to " Observant " 

Jan 29, 15 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
Rio9891

When architecture steps forward it manifests itself notably differently, usually not in form of a building.

Jan 30, 15 4:10 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Rio provide an example.

Jan 30, 15 7:21 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

"...notably differently..."

Nobel prize candidate

Jan 30, 15 8:29 am  · 
 · 
-------

Observant observed that his observations were being negatively observed. He has been replaced by Mr. Balkins, although he appears to have also possibly vanished.

To the OP, assuming that this is a serious discussion, I just read a definition of architecture I liked. Michael Benedikt, in Shelter, on p.14, defines architecture as:

"the intentional, foresightful, informed, free and conscious shaping of the man-made and natural material environment so as to protect life – all life, but primarily human lives – against aggression, accident, disease and harsh weather, in order to make those lives longer, richer and more fruitful. "

My personal definition, which I seldom feel the need to trot out, is:

"any built environment that consciously takes into consideration the psychology of the user."

Jan 30, 15 9:25 am  · 
 · 
greatescape

Architecture -  

ar·chi·tec·ture

noun \ˈär-kə-ˌtek-chər\

: the art or science of designing and creating buildings

: a method or style of building

: the way in which the parts of a computer are organized

- merriam webster

- Win. 

Jan 30, 15 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

wow, you could have knocked off that third definition....

Jan 30, 15 3:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: