Archinect
anchor

Visa help for Chinese architecture job??

acsookying

Hello all,

I'm currently in my final semester of study in landscape architecture in the US and about getting ready to graduate in May. I have started my job search and got some responses here and there. But the main one I got was from Shanghai, they said they can take my portfolio into consideration but I need 2 years of work experience abroad before coming to China to work for visa purposes? Is this true or is there something I'm not understanding with the system. I've had a couple summer and academic internships during my college career but I don't think it would add up to 2 years total. I tried to do some research online but the Chinese embassy's website wasn't too clear. There are just so many types!! I would be going in as an entry level, I assume..

-I am an American.

Thank you!

Jan 22, 15 11:13 pm
midlander

The company is correct - foreigners can't legally work in China without 2 years of full-time post-graduation experience in their field of specialization. Academic internships and summer employment don't count.

I've heard stories of people who fake that, but the embassies do check the date on your diploma - if it's less than 2 years ago no chance to get the visa.

It used to be common for people to come to China on tourist or business visas (which are much easier to get) and work for 90 days at a time before leaving to renew the visa. That's illegal though, and I think they've gotten much stricter in enforcing that.

For legal employment in China the type of visa you need is called a Z-visa. It requires the company to register your information and apply for permission to hire you. It's a somewhat slow process and costs them a bit of money. Watch out for companies that tell you can come to China on a tourist (L) visa and sort it out later - they're probably just planning to do it under the table. You'll get stuck with the blame if things don't work out.

Jan 22, 15 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
acsookying

@midlander

Thank you for that! Just wanted to make sure

Jan 23, 15 12:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: