Archinect
anchor

Looking/Hoping to Intern in Singapore

uh huh

Hi everyone,

I am currently a second year student at a five year accredited architecture program in the US, and though I know it will be difficult for a second year, would very much like to find an internship to work for during the summer. I am also open to going abroad, and found the student intern page for a firm in Singapore, and from their page description, it seems like something that I can also do.

I am fluent in Mandarin, Japanese, and English, so I am not worried about getting around, and in addition to auto cad, freehand sketching, and modeling, I also know other rendering programs. With this in mind, I e-mailed them about what they look for in prospective applicants, more details on how the internship is run, possible deadline for portfolio, etc. however, they have not yet gotten back to me, and I am feeling a bit rushed on time as I know summer internship search must begin around now. 

If anyone has interned for WOW architects in Singapore, or has contact with someone who might have the answers to my questions, I would really appreciated it.

Thanks a bunch!

Jan 19, 15 4:24 pm
uh huh

bump

Jan 20, 15 2:21 am  · 
 · 
midlander

Are you from Singapore?

I'm not familiar with Singapore so may be off in this - but most countries require work visas for any employee. It's unlikely a student would qualify. You should check about this. In some countries it's common to work under the table to get around this, but it's easy for employers to abuse staff under this situation. And a lot of trouble to go to for a summer intern whose main job will be photoshopping renderings or cleaning up the file system.

2nd year b.arch students don't have a lot to offer most firms. Your best option would be to talk to your professors and try to find out some local offices that will take on interns for the summer. I've never heard of firms looking for summer interns in January - it's just not that important to them.

Best bet is to talk to some local firms and keep in touch so that around April or May you can see if they are open to hiring an intern.

Jan 20, 15 2:34 am  · 
 · 

Dear Lala, 

I work at WOW Architects. We've had many overseas students join us for a summer internship. If you are interested you can start by sending us an email at careers@wow.sg.  You can also CC me at media@wow.sg and I will forward it to the directors here. 

Here are 2 posts on our company blog about our interns and their experiences here for you reference :)

http://wow.sg/thinking/2013/07/16/2013-summer-interns/

http://wow.sg/thinking/2014/07/17/inspiring-future-architects/

Saori

Jan 22, 15 11:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: