Archinect
anchor

Canadian Architecture Schools - your experience?

inTheNorth

Hi everyone,

I've recently graduated from Bachelor's arch program in Canada. I'm currently working in an arch firm but planning to enroll in a Master's program in 2016 or so. I've been researching graduate programs online, but there's only so much you can tell from schools' websites. It would be really helpful if there are recent graduates of Canadian Masters programs here who could share their experience. Or, anybody else who thinks they could provide some valuable info about the schools.  Any info would be appreciated: what their focus is on, professors' attitude to students, labs and tools available to students, etc. Thank you!

Jan 18, 15 4:21 pm
Non Sequitur
What school did you get your bachelors from?

There are only 10 accredited masters program in Canada and out of those, 2 are French. It's not really hard to look them up and call their graduate office. Just make sure to ask for entrance There are only 10 accredited masters program in Canada and out of those, 2 are French. It's not really hard to look them up and call their graduate office. Just make sure to ask for entrance qualifications. Some schools require students with b.a.s from another school to take a qualifying year prior to their first master courses. . Some schools require students with b.a.s from another school to take a qualifying year prior to their first master courses.

What school did you graduate undergrad from?
Jan 19, 15 6:37 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Sorry for double post on the question.
Jan 19, 15 6:37 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

This was just published.

http://www.acsa-arch.org/resources/data-resources/canadian-schools

You should find it helpful.

Jan 19, 15 8:30 am  · 
 · 
Hathor
I recently graduated from the dalhousie masters program. I would be happy to chat to you about the program. It would help to know where you did your undergrad. I would want to post a whole slew of information about a school you already know about if you went there.
Jan 19, 15 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
Cloudwalker

Hi Hathor,

I am also planning to get my master here in Ontario, I did my undergrad in the Philippines. would you please send me also the info.

Thanks!

Jan 19, 15 7:08 pm  · 
 · 

Cloudwalker Thanks for the link!

The thing is that i've been researching programs' websites etc. but it is definitely not the same kind of info that I would get from someone who actually completed the program. 

Jan 20, 15 3:34 pm  · 
 · 

Hi Hathor! I actually graduated from Dal so I am familiar with the school. I chatted with a few people from Masters program there, but it's always good to hear a different perspective! Every person has their own opinion anyway..If you don't mind you could share about your experience here, other people would find it helpful too.

Jan 20, 15 3:38 pm  · 
 · 

oops that is Non Sequitur that I wanted to thank for the link! sorry.

Jan 20, 15 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

I was in Hathor's class at Dal and decided to leave the school at the end of BEDS. There can be a future elsewhere if you choose to do so - I received acceptances to 3 Canadians schools and 2 American ones after taking a year out in between undergrad and M.Arch. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info.

Jan 20, 15 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
mcfd

I don't have any direct experience here, but I'm applying to the program at UBC and have done some research. I spoke with a current grad student, from the US, and here are my notes from that conversation:

3/4 of students don’t have B.Arch, so there is plenty of support for that. Program is relatively small, and ‘young’ in the sense that many of the teachers are young. Seems to be a group below 45 and another group over 60. Younger means less dogmatic, less set in their ways with some established method.

Many good research opportunities. 

High faculty to student ratio. 

Small program is good in that there is good camaraderie and lots of support from the faculty, but bad inasmuch as there is less breadth of scholarship. I.e. if you wanted to study something specific, you’d have only a couple of teachers who were also interested in that same specialty. 

V. good for sustainability, CIRS. http://cirs.ubc.ca

Roy Kohl is head of it, also arch prof. 

Facilities: new building is going in, should be done in 2-3 years. Final architectural firm to be chosen by February likely. 

Campus is extremely beautiful. Arch studio has lots of light, modern building, all students in one big area so lots of interaction. 

Decent and rapidly improving digital fabrication equipment. 

Professors of note in terms of sustainability:

Ray Cole http://www.sala.ubc.ca/people/faculty/raymond-cole Head of CIRS. 

AnnaLisa Meyboom:http://www.sala.ubc.ca/people/faculty/annalisa-meyboom  new timber technology, outgoing, good at answering email. Best person to talk to about the school. 

Blair Satterfield: http://www.sala.ubc.ca/people/faculty/blair-satterfield 

Matthew Soules: http://www.sala.ubc.ca/people/faculty/matthew-soules theory of design; social, political and economic contexts; relationship of finance capital to real estate. 

Very social atmosphere. Supportive, not uncompetitive though. Student association has get-togethers every Friday night, hosted by a different studio each week. Good emphasis on health and wellness, e.g. hiking, etc. 

Jan 20, 15 8:29 pm  · 
 · 

mcfd,

Thanks for the great information, that was very helpful.

Jan 21, 15 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
Hathor
I graduated from both the BEDs and Masters program at Dal. Over all I think it was a very good program. Without getting it to minor complaints that I feel could be said for any program in any school, my one lasting memory of complaint I had is the lack of elective choices that were offered in the masters program. That being said you can take electives from other schools and programs. I had minor frustrations over the years having to do with a lack of organization in the program (that I attribute to the ever changing intergration of the various classes and subjects covered). But these were minor irritations looking back.

I found the professors very approachable and well versed in their fields. And the workterms an invaluable experience.

I do think that "building science" ie actual real life construction knowledge is lacking, but being that they are trying to teach you to expand your mind in design I guess that was to be expected.

I found the student group to be very supportive and created a "family" atmosphere.

The administrative support staff were probably some of the most caring and reliable people I have ever met.

The school as far as I have seen has a very good reputation in the "real" world. In fact where I work is 100% dal grads.

I don't regret going to Dal and would honestly recommend it.

That's my two cents. Not deep I know, but just my general thoughts looking back almost a year after graduation.
Jan 22, 15 5:19 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks Hathor, I agree with everything you said here. The office where I work hires mostly Dal grads as well.

Jan 25, 15 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: