Archinect
anchor

What are the legalities in naming an architecture firm?

conorplus

I have always sided with people who think architecture companies tend to have generic names like SOM and HOK. These naming decisions are made in the same way law firms set up their businesses, by combining the first initials of the owners last names. 

I have recently heard that this is done for legal reasons and that when registering an architecture company the name of the company needs to be the same as the name of the the licensed architect and owner, of owners, of the business. Therefore if John Doe wants to have a company with the word architecture in it, it will inevitably end up being something to the effect of John Doe Architects.

I have also know that there are ways around this, and that one can register a business with a DBA (doing business as) name. In this case someone can make up a name to do business under. This is the case of a number of firms including Morphosis and Populous architects. 

Are there legal difference between these two methods of registers their company name and is method better?

Jan 15, 15 10:06 am
null pointer

Second paragraph: Incorrect. You just need to send the city a letter explaining wtf your firm's name means. I did it.

I don't believe in bullshit megalomaniacal firm names. I'm sure as fuck not planning on being only person making great things happen when/if my firm gets off the ground.

Jan 15, 15 10:23 am  · 
 · 

This is a topic that also varies by state.  Some states that register architecture firms as professional corporations require the partners' names to be in the firm name, some states don't.  Some specify that if the corporation name has the word "architecture" or similar in it then a certain percentage of firm owners must be registered. It varies and is not always easy to find the rules - if you have an accountant or lawyer who is setting up your corporate entity, they can likely help you.

Jan 15, 15 10:26 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

In general, it is easier to just practice using your name once licensed.

Most states have board laws, in which, you need to register a fictitious business name associated with a license if you are practicing as one of these fancy architecture firm names.

In my opinion, these fancy firm names are out of hand, we have way to many dumb/overly creative firm names, with italics, symbols, emoticons, underscores, the symbol formerly known as prince.  Being creative in your work is far more important.  

If what Donna is saying is true, then Morphosis would have to have a different business name in another state if they don't allow fictitious business names....Thom Mayne Architect inc, in Oregon or something.  I don' t think that is true.  I think all states allow some form of firm name masturbation.  

Jan 15, 15 11:40 am  · 
 · 
proto

In OR, you have to have "Architecture" or "Architect" in the name

(Your state may vary. Call your state licensing board; they will be able to clarify this for you)

So, "Morphosis Architects" works just fine here (but I believe it is taken ;) )

Jan 15, 15 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

I believe Nevada required firm names to include only living, licensed architects. My office had to make up a name to use there because the firm's name included a deceased partner. We ended up using generic initials, which was ok.

Jan 15, 15 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

All I know is that a firm's name in my area cannot be along the lines of "Awesome Architecture Office" or "Everyone Is Terrible But Me Architects inc."

Jan 15, 15 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

At my last job, there were different names that the business was called in different states, but when discussing things, those names were never used, they only showed up on documents.

Jan 15, 15 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Non, that can't be Minnesota, because that's my firm name.
Jan 15, 15 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

NS - 'Superkul' doesn't fit into that ?
;)

Jan 15, 15 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
BenC, that one might have passed under the radar. They do good work however.
Jan 16, 15 6:44 am  · 
 · 

what's in a name?

Jan 16, 15 9:23 am  · 
 · 
gruen
When I incorporated, I was told I couldn't be "architects" unless there was actually more than one architect in the firm. So I'm "architecture" instead. But I could have named myself "morphitekture" if I'd wanted.
Jan 16, 15 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Whatever you wind up doing, please-oh-please avoid becoming another one of these cute/pretentious named firms. It was fun twenty years ago, but shit like "morphomitosis" and "atelier+werkz" are just annoying now. At least with a simple name or initials you know it won't sound stupid a decade from now.

And for pete's sake, NO PUNS.

Jan 18, 15 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

To help architects avoid pretentious cutsie names California Architects Board mandates a naming convention for Professional Corporations, but not for General Corporations. Architects in California can practice under both types of corporations, but Professional Corporation provides more tax and liability benefits. So if you see SupercalifragilisticexpialidociouSTUDIO it is likely General Corporation. If it is XXX Architects, Doe & Associates Architects, or Doe Architectural Corporation it is probably a Professional Corporation.

Oct 8, 22 7:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: