Archinect
anchor

NCARB Certification Fees

I've recently completed the Calif. Supplemental Exam, and will be registering in March, and sending my $300 registration fee.  This will be my first license.  

Does anyone know if the NCARB Certification fee of $1500 is also required to be submitted?  

It's not clear to me what NCARB Certification is.  And, I'm also curious if anyone has spoken with an NCARB representative on the phone, and what their impression was?  

The person I spoke with this afternoon at NCARB was barely articulate, and left me me with more questions than answers.  I was actually amazed this person was working in a customer service role.  

Jan 14, 15 4:40 pm
SneakyPete

If you maintained your NCARB record fees ($75/Year) between paying your Intern Application Fee ($350) and getting your first licensure, they waive the fee.

"If your Record remains continuously active until you receive your initial license, NCARB will waive the entire Certificate Application Fee of $1,500. In addition your Certificate Renewal Fee will be half price for the first three years."

http://www.ncarb.org/Getting-an-Initial-license/NCARB-Fees.aspx

Jan 14, 15 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
rothko67

Yeah, I saw that.  But, what exactly is NCARB certification, and do I need it for my initial registration.  no where on the CAB application does it say I need it.  Does it just have to be maintained for reciprocity in the future?

Jan 14, 15 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

NCARB will likely require you to pay that (or they waive it because they care about you SO MUCH.) in order for them to send the State Board your IDP information and such. After the initial Certificate is created for you, many states have, at the behest of the benevolent masters at NCARB, required that the ONLY path to reciprocity is through NCARB. They, in turn, require a yearly "Renewal Fee" of $225 in order to be active. If you let your Certificate lapse,

"Reactivation Fee: $250 + all outstanding annual renewal fees up to the maximum of $1,500 If your NCARB Record lapsed for any amount of time, you must pay a $250 reactivation fee plus all annual renewal fees assessed during the period of inactivity up to a maximum reactivation fee of $1,500."

This in stark contrast to the states NON-NCARB fees, which are usually in the $100-150 range if you have NO NCARB Record. (ie. you didn't go to school or are old)

Welcome to the profession, where extortion masquerades as protection and we eat our own.

Donner Design Associates, LLC

Jan 14, 15 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

rothko - no, you do not need to have NCARB certification for your initial registration. The reality is, unless you plan to get licensed in several states (for business purposes), being NCARB certified probably doesn't make any sense.

I am certified, personally, but own a firm and we do work all over. Given how easy it makes getting a reciprocal license in another state, I gladly pay the annual fee (250) each year. I'm the only one in my office who is certified as well.

It is much, much more difficult to get a reciprocal license in, say, Oregon (if you need to) without the certification. Basically, NCARB won't release your records to you in print form; you'd then have to essentially create that whole set of credentials from scratch. How much is your time worth in that regard? Up to you - again, in my case (and there's a lot of us), it's worth every penny. 

Jan 14, 15 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
rothko67

Thanks Gregory 

Jan 14, 15 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
proto

It varies by state. Check with your licensing board as to what they require.

(NCARB is a fucking parasite. They do nothing but hold your credentials hostage.)

Jan 15, 15 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i agree with proto on the parasite comment.

it's possible that i'm wrong because it was quite a few beers ago, but i think my state did essentially require an ncarb license, because that's how they get my credential information like my previous education records and verification i've completed idp and such.  so, it's not specifically a requirement, but it's essentially become a requirement in order to expedite record keeping.  i think the ability to just send transcripts to the state licensing board is not always as easy of an option like it used to be.

i would verify with your state board.

Jan 15, 15 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Also keep in mind that if you choose not to establish a certificate (with the waived fee) and then later want reciprocity, you MAY need to get a certificate, which would then cost you the 1500.

Just something to think about, otherwise give them as little money as possible.

Jan 15, 15 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
proto

Also keep in mind that if you choose not to establish a certificate (with the waived fee) and then later want reciprocity, you MAY need to get a certificate, which would then cost you the 1500.

$225, to renew your certificate each year

or

$250, to re-activate your certificate if you ignore the annual tax, PLUS $225 for each year you avoided it up to $1500

PLUS, $400 to actually "transmit" the document to the state board in question

all this so that they can email or mail a file you have no right to see to your state board of architects...all of which you could take care of by personally contacting your university, original state board & ncarb for your idp info

so, yeah...fuck you, ncarb (and all the lazy state boards who subscribe to this bullshit)

Jan 15, 15 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

AGREED.

Jan 15, 15 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: