Archinect
anchor

Karim Rashid - Karma's a Bitch!

bklyntotfc

Remember that Karim Rashid article a while back...this one...where he was all like "I'm not a licensed architect, but I'm so awesome I'm designing 11 buildings?

Well, according to this article today, maybe he should rethink that a bit:

The Department of Buildings audited the design for an eight-story apartment building on 329 Pleasant Ave. in December after receiving multiple complaints about the proposed structure.

The audit found several zoning violations, including the height of the building and the height and size of the balconies, DOB spokesman Alexander Schnell said.

“If the applicant doesn’t clear the objections by remedying the underlying conditions, the agency could revoke their permits,” Schnell said.

BTW, NYC zoning only allows balconies to take up 1/2 the width of a building...his design appears to be full width.

Good luck fixing that and the height of the building.  I guess architecting is harder than it looks.

Jan 14, 15 10:29 am
Janosh

Who knows if the contract placed responsibility for these items with Rashid, or if that actually lay with the Architect of Record and Rashid was just willfully ignorant.  If the accusations have merit, you can be sure that there is an attorney trying to find out. 

Beyond that, Rashid's publicly dismissive attitude toward the concerned/conservative members of the community doesn't seem to be helping him, his client or project...

Jan 14, 15 10:44 am  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

Unlicensed designers haven't cornered the market on such problems.  Same issues happen with licensed "architecters" every day.  

Jan 14, 15 10:46 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

I remember looking at the ZD1, calling it and then holding myself back from being a snitch.

Shit comes to those that stir the pot.

Also there is the question of whether or not those are truly balconies as per zoning because they are not located over a setback. They might just be exposed floors, and I dont think zoning governs those as long as you count them as floor area. He should be ok, but it really becomes a building code issue. If I was working in his architect's office I'd get a CCD1 approved by arguing that the wall assembly behind the "balconies" is adequately rated.

Jan 14, 15 10:51 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

Where can I send my bill now?

Jan 14, 15 10:51 am  · 
 · 

Oh dear.  Architecting *is* hard.

Jan 14, 15 10:52 am  · 
 · 
matty blue

i agree that the guy sounds like a self-satisfied asshat, but i'm not sure that he's any different than most of the editorialists on this and most other sites.  he's hardly, you know, built anything, but he's got it all figured out, certainly more than those tired old-timers that are keeping him down.

it frankly doesn't sound like a licensed / unlicensed issue.  getting nicked by zoning requirements doesn't go away when you pass the exam.  sounds more like his contractor and developer are being poor neighbors.

Jan 14, 15 12:10 pm  · 
 · 

Architecting isn't as hard as designering.

Jan 14, 15 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

NY is just weird. Why don't they actually review things before they issue permits? 

Of course, I did catch one of my smaller local jurisdictions doing almost the same thing...*sigh*

It's just irresponsible for an architect (even if you don't have a stamp) to not to either:

1) conform to the zoning requirements 

or

2) seek a variance

Of course, also silly for an AHJ to issue permits before they look at the project. But hey, it's NYC...

I like the blue and pink balconies. Barbie and Ken. 

Jan 14, 15 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Someone probably just called 311 on all his projects after he said architecture was easy and they got him on 1 of 11......if you got rid of licensure and let designers file their own work and not via a catch basin for liability (AOR) then maybe designers would move beyond schematics and do real architecture? They would be liable for their work regardless of how many buffers and consultants. If you conceive it,it's yours.

Jan 14, 15 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞
Just for the record, I'd never be caught in that residence.

I believe NYC has self-check when it comes to codes.
Jan 14, 15 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Back in the boom architects were self certifying everything,finding murky areas in the zoning, overbuilding complete new buildings, but the DOB has pretty much clamped down on that. But stuff gets by all the time....you scratch your head and wonder.....once worked on a strange job in nyc, NYS jurisdiction but in NYC, original architect Luis Sert and the code consulting firm were lawyers who also specialized in political campaign consulting......BTW the Port Authority in NYC is similar and last time I worked on a job like that I was told Homeland Security would review the dwgs.......but you know architecture is easy, nothing to do with anything but schematics design....pink and turquoise balconies...

Jan 14, 15 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

And Miles Jaffe you'd love this....the original drawings for this complex by Sert and others had TWO architecture stamps. Both Luis Sert and the NYS AOR.... cant remember if Serts stamp was even NYS,ego ego.........Maybe Karim can make a cute pink sticker to put on his filing drawings?

Jan 14, 15 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

the public wants fuschia balconies

Jan 14, 15 9:08 pm  · 
 · 

I like full length balconies. We had one growing up. I grew up in balcony culture. Americans hardly use their balconies except for storing old exercise equipment. In the summer time balconies were life savers. Beautiful balmy night dinners with breeze coming from the bay. It must be also popular in Florida.

Jan 14, 15 9:50 pm  · 
 · 

@Orhan speaking as a Floridian, probably depends on where in Florida. Anytime i have been on/at beach, balconies have been key to experience. Here in North FL though, porch life is where it is at.

Jan 22, 15 5:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: