Archinect
anchor

21 rules for a successful life in architecture

curtkram

http://www.entrearchitect.com/2014/08/24/21-rules-for-a-successful-life-in-architecture/

i guess some of these aren't really all that out of touch, but i bet the community here could fix this list and put together a better set of guidelines for the future of our profession.

one of the recurring assumptions in here seems to be that the aspiring youth of today can just pick whatever job they like.  if it doesn't suit them, there are a bunch more people lined up to hire them for a position they haven't yet had the training or experience to perform.  wasn't like that back when i was starting out....

Jan 14, 15 10:01 am

#21- Don't compare your accomplishments or your career or to that of other designers. Focus on your own, unique story. 

Jan 14, 15 10:13 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

...wait, you can claim IDP straight out of high-school?

That's a little messed up.

Jan 14, 15 10:34 am  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

Very office-y advice, and not particularly unique to architecture.

As for making awesome buildings?  Yeah, not on the list.

Jan 14, 15 10:36 am  · 
 · 
geezertect
  • Many processes in firms and details on projects can be improved if you simply point out a better solution to decision makers.
  • An improvement is always appreciated by principals and clients    

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 14, 15 10:50 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

geezer, i like the part where he says 'heard, presented, and defended.'

keep defending those bad ideas noob.  nothing your manager likes better than to be interrupted by someone who has no idea what's going on, who feels the need to defend their great ideas instead of listening and letting people get back to work.

ask questions, but also listen and if you don't get to make the design decisions you want, don't dwell on it.  say your piece and move on.

Jan 14, 15 11:00 am  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

Geezer, the number of hahahah's made me laugh even harder about those two already funny statements, especially the second one.  

If I were to create a similar list but 100% sarcastic, this would be number one on the list:

1.  An improvement is always appreciated by principals and clients

Can anyone read that aloud without laughing?  

Jan 14, 15 11:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: