Archinect
anchor

Architectural 3D Design Software

Windarrow

Does anyone know if there are any design software that allows one to design in 3D like one would build a scaled architectural model using physical elements like an electronic erector set?

I have examples as clarification if one needed more information before they make a suitable reply.

Jan 13, 15 10:07 am
proto

let me google that for you

oh wait, forget it

Jan 13, 15 11:55 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

revit, sketch-up, form z, rhino, 3ds max, maya, CAD, archicad, vectorworks, and probably a hundred others....take your pick.  Although none of these programs are going to have physical elements unless you take a lot of acid prior to working.

Jan 13, 15 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

here you go

Jan 13, 15 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
Windarrow

After a brief through a "SMILE" go to curtkram. Have tried that approach before AutoCAD & ClarisCad were introduced, 

As for chigurh's reply, I have investigated most of those different software programs. Some are costly to find out if they really do what one would like to accomplish. I do however, appreciate your reply and time spent listing.

The software tried do not do exactly what is wanted. Would like to find software that would allow one to directly design electronically in 3D like one would build a scaled model of a project.

Wonder if such software exist. If not existing it might be interesting to program.

Jan 14, 15 11:08 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

To what end? It would not help get a design closer to the goal of being built.

Jan 14, 15 11:27 am  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

Would like to find software that would allow one to directly design electronically in 3D like one would build a scaled model of a project.

What does that mean?

Jan 14, 15 11:31 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

just build a smaller version of a project in any of the software listed to whatever scale you want.  

Instead of modeling a wall at 10', if you want the model to be a quarter inch scale, you can draw it at 2.5", or even better, model your entire building to actual size with real dimensions, then scale the whole thing down by the percentage required to get it at the scale you want to be.  

That being said, there is really no value in modeling 3d to a specific scale, because it can just be converted or scaled at any point during your design anyways...

Jan 14, 15 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Sketch-up with a generous pillaging of the 3D warehouse.

Jan 14, 15 11:47 am  · 
 · 
greatescape

^ This.

Jan 14, 15 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
Windarrow

By your comment; guess I'm not making my desire very clear, Saint in the City.

I would like to create & design structures of an architectural nature similar to how one would put together a real scale model but using computer software rather than using physical elements.

Not sure I agree with chigurh's statement, "there is really no value in modeling in 3d". Should one be able to show quickly a client a model of a project would be of value. I ask, why do most important projects require a physical project model be supplied as part of presentation? Should a change or adulteration in the project is to be accomplished an electronic model would be easy and a benefit.  

Non Sequitur's is either a toung in cheek reply or I'm just confused as to its meaning. Sorry

Jan 14, 15 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
toosaturated

You should provide the examples

Jan 14, 15 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Windarrow, my comment was both serious and tongue-in-cheek. Use sketch-up to either design/build your "real-world" construction elements or, download for free those already made by highschool kids and various manufacturers. Drag and snap at will.

Jan 14, 15 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

I think there is tremendous value in modeling a project in 3d, both physically and digitally. 

you want to "find software that would allow one to directly design electronically in 3D like one would build a scaled model of a project."

All of the software I mentioned in my original post allows you to do that, you want a 2x4 stud, model a fucking form that is 3.5"x1.5" to any height you want..   you want a steel column, look it up in the steel book and fucking model it, along with any other shape, form, or building material you can imagine.  

I don't understand all this talk of "scaled model", yea, a whole building can fit inside your computer screen. 

This thread is over.   OVER!

Jan 14, 15 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Once upon a time I messed up the scale dialogue when I was importing geometry into Max and my entire building was about 6" tall. Due to the way Mental Ray approximates lighting, I couldn't get it to render properly. It was a real gas.

Jan 14, 15 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Windarrow

Sorry by trying to find software I must offended you by the dirty talk stated. You missed the point of my desire. Yes I could model the members you mentioned but if I wanted to change sizes it would require more manipulation than a real 3d program I'm looking for.

For instant (an Example promised) if one is using line drawing software one wants to change length all one has to do is put in the dimenion and it will change or if one wants to stretch or shorten that line towards an other object, select the object & it will change or if to intersect something @ mid point or @angle it will do so. Separate a line into several equal parts it will do so. Copy a line @ equal spacing, offset or rotate a line a number of times it will copy.

Of course programming this capability would require much as compared to typical line vector software. But I think it would be worth the programming effort. Opposition & problens to this programing and approach would most likely be the same as it was when the transition from drawing software occurred to true CAD as we know it today.

Oh well, you have signed off on this subject.

I provided the example, promiced. I continue to post in hopes to get some answers to my search.

WHY CANT THIS TYPE OF MANIPULATION OF 3d OBJECTS ALSO OCCUR WITH 3D SOFTWARE? That's the type of software I'm looking for. 

Jan 14, 15 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
shivuy

I'm pretty sure most 3D programs can do that just fine. Grab a trial of sketchup, rhino, revit, or autocad (can also do 3D) and give it a whirl.

Jan 14, 15 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

See above posts, all 3D softwares already mentioned do what you seek... albeit poorly explained.

Jan 14, 15 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

If you expect a 3d building model to be able to change overall scales at the drop of a hat, I suggest you do a bit more research into the requirements the industry has for those pieces of software. While YOU may believe that scaling a 3d model down so that the overall size of the model could fit on a virtual desk, the industry has no need. When one can click a button and zoom to the extents of the model, what use is there to actually scale the 3d geometry?

You also add a host of other problems, such as the relationship of items within extrusion shapes, sweep paths, etc. Are you asking for the sketches that make up this geometry to be scaled or simply the end result of the command (baked geometry)? Baked geometry isn't of much use to the building industry, since we don't typically construct buildings out of nebulous goo. There's also the consideration that if one models a 5/8" reveal joint at full size and then scales it down to fit on the virtual desk, the reveal becomes nearly non-existent. Many software packages have hard-coded minimum dimensions which would disallow a whole-hog scaling down.

There are plenty of other reasons why this is a difficult proposition, but again I ask:

To what end? The virtual realm can show you a full size model at the proper zoom as to fit on your monitor. Are you talking about 3d printing? Occulus Rift Virtual viewing? What do you want to do with this scaled down building model that can't already be done?

Jan 14, 15 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

one can change the length of an object in 3d pretty much as easily as 2d.  i suppose it depends on the shape of the object though.  copying multiple objects, aligning, things like that can be done with 3d programs fairly easily.

i think trimming and expanding don't work as well in 3d.  at least not with the software i've used.  3d has boolean operations which are similar, but i think different enough to say that it isn't the same thing.

so, if your questions is why can't you draft in 3d with the same tools and commands you use in autocad, it's probably just because it doesn't work that way.  the end of a line in autocad is a single point, whereas the end of a line in a 3d program has other lines dependent upon the properties of that line, and those lines make faces.  modifying that point in 3d has repercussions and paradigms and things that aren't there in a 2d drawing.

Jan 14, 15 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

http://ldd.lego.com/en-us/

Jan 14, 15 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
Windarrow

Thanks curtkram for your comments about 2d vs 3d software capability. "It doesn't work that way", which in my opinion is too bad. It's my hope that some day we can design in 3d the same as we do today in 2d.

I'll still will be looking and anxiously await 3d refinement.

Thanks again for your insight.

Jan 15, 15 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Don't hold your breath waiting for someone to think you have a great idea. You don't.

Jan 16, 15 11:52 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

design in 3d the same as we do today in 2d?  Worst idea ever.  Why?  It is a completely different animal and requires different tools/conceptual approach to get the job done.  

Quit being a ninny, get your shit together and just learn 3d.  It is a steep learning curve, but once you got it you got it for good, any software, it don't matter, after you learn one, you can master them all with ease.  

There is just no alternative to learning, just get in and struggle.   

Imagine yourself becoming a 3d zen master, or sit around and conceptualize about some magical software that will never exist because doesn't make any sense.  

Jan 16, 15 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
Windarrow

Social grace is certainly not existing in several replies. I think one should take the time to get a personality transplant. Attack as you may, either you must have nothing else to do or don't want to lose or don't wish to advance out of the dark ages; (ie. quill & "T" square era). A lot of the negativism, resistance and adaptability may have also occurred when there was a subtle transition from the old style of computer drawing programs into what we use today. Oh well have fun.

A lot of the comments are welcome and appropriately technical. Yes I agree, to use chigurh's words, "it is a different animal and requires different tools/conceptual approach to get the job done".

All I want is to design in 3d like one does in 2d and then build a scaled models of the project. Is that so hard to fantom?

FYI: Have been using AutoCAD & Claris Cad since 1990 or 91!

Jan 16, 15 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

this thread is so weird.

i would like some sort of clothe, maybe with some sort of rubber bits, that can wrap around my foot and somehow close tightly - something to protect my foot when walking. any suggestions?

Jan 16, 15 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

But you want it to be exactly like your natural foot right? with no synthetic materials; no plastic, rubber, or fabric? Why doesn't it exist?

Jan 16, 15 9:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: