Archinect
anchor

Need to learn Revit, quick

TeenageWasteland

Hi,
I was offered a position at a Revit-based firm, and I need to learn the program as fast as I can. I've never worked with the program professionally ( been using ArchiCad at work for the past 3 years,  a Rhino guy at uni). Right now I'm on Lynda learning as much as I can.

I was just wondering if anyone can give me some advice, tips and tricks,  what are the most important aspects of the program I should grasp in the professional setting. I'll be working mostly on modelling, rendering and documentaion from the outset of this employment.

How would you go about it if you were new to this program

Ps. I used Revit many moon years ago, (version 7)

Many many thanks in advance.

Jan 12, 15 2:18 am
Beepbeep

Get familiar with the interface so you can find things quickly! and basic modeling I think the rest will transfer over quickly from your prior modeling experience and they  teach you how they want you to draft so do not worry about that as much for now.

Jan 12, 15 10:16 am  · 
 · 
zonker

Revitkid.com

Look for tutorials that take you through an entire building project - at least you have prior BIM background from Archicad.

Hopefully this office is reasonable and lets you learn as you go. My experience was that I always needed to know Revit thoroughly or I got fired - it was always a 0 sum game for me.

Jan 12, 15 11:20 am  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

I've been learning Revit quick for a couple years now...

Jan 12, 15 11:56 am  · 
 · 
TeenageWasteland

Thanks a lot for all comments !

Jan 12, 15 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
abbycoll123

Hey! I'm in the same boat now, about to be hired on with a firm that uses revit. 

I got a lyndia account, and have completed 12 hours of tutorials. How was your transition? What were your strengths / challenges?

Apr 14, 16 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

If you know ArchiCad, you've already got a huge leg up. The philosophy is the same - it's BIM, and BIM is BIM is BIM. The differences between ArchiCAD and Revit are mostly in syntax / keyboard shortcuts. You're not going to know everything before you start, but you'll learn faster by having the foundation you have. 

Apr 15, 16 2:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: