Archinect
anchor

Starting my first job this Monday.

Ihavetoreturnsomevideos.

Hello Archinect community!

I have never posted in these forums but I have gleaned a lot of good advice by its posts and guides. In fact the guide to securing a first job helped me land just that in Melbourne Australia starting this coming Monday.

Guess what, I'm terrified!

I tried looking through the forums so as to not cause unnecessary repeat, however I couldn't find anyone sharing my sheer anxiety moving into the profession! The firm is highly regarded and I am allowing myself to believe that where I started off being ambitious I will soon just be in too deep!

I don't think its purely a 'design-hug' that i'm looking for, but I really want to know if others have felt this way and what advice you might have for me.

Perhaps not and the rest of the arch world is better at keeping its cool than I!

Jan 10, 15 2:29 am
bugsmetoo

Burns: You did this? How could you be so irresponsible?
Homer: Eh... it's my first day!

Jan 10, 15 2:54 am  · 
 · 
gruen
You'll probably spend your first day filling out paperwork, meeting other coworkers and getting signed on to your computer. Then, after a lunch where a few hand picked coworkers go w you, you'll be given a couple of easy project tasks, or maybe set to learning some new software or at least learning the office standards. Day 2 you'll be in the thick of it. Gruen's first law of surviving work: don't work scared.
Jan 10, 15 9:40 am  · 
 · 

Having just fired a new hire that didn't get past day two: 

Don't be late. To the contrary, be early, and make it a habit.

Have a happy, cheerful attitude. Nobody wants to be around anything else. Ever. This can make up for a lot of other deficiencies. 

Jan 10, 15 10:26 am  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

Miles, what kind of business are you doing?

Jan 10, 15 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

Design / build.

And yes, it's an oxymoron.

Jan 10, 15 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
Ihavetoreturnsomevideos.

Well I hope I make it bast day two! That's pretty rough going. Cut throat.

Gruen, that law is perfect. I know I am excited, I was hoping for other new recruits to share some insider tips on dealing with expectations; theirs and mine!

Jan 11, 15 6:17 am  · 
 · 
cajunarch

ask  if you dont know something - this advice can last your whole career   :)

keep a great attitude

be punctual and look professional

always do what you say - being the guy that can be counted on can cover lots of other issues

make friends amongst the other young professionals - your peer group will become your support group, and also the ones you lean on to learn

Jan 11, 15 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
proto

maybe don't surf archinect on your first day...give it a few days

Jan 12, 15 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: