Archinect
anchor

Cornell M.Arch Video Interview?

video_killed

I just got an invitation to complete an optional video interview after applying to Cornell for M.Arch I. 

Anyone else gotten one or know what I can expect? Is this something they send out to everyone who applies? And is it really "optional", will it hurt my chances if I don't do it? I can't find any info about it on their website (which sucks and really needs to be updated). 

Jan 9, 15 5:35 pm
Yasamin.fathi

Hi, I got the same invitation few days ago. The worst part is that we have to answer the questions in 30 seconds which is challenging for me as an international student!

Jan 11, 15 5:16 am  · 
 · 
JJ9527

Hi, I also received the interview, but seems like I have some problem with the recording system, just wondering if it's the same for you too?

On first page, I can see there is a video test, and I could get my recording testing working.

But on the second page where after I clicked "proceed" to the actual interview, there is no screen for me to record, and it only says "You are almost Done".

Were you able to recording your interview? Thanks!

Jan 11, 15 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
jltrgn

The link they sent me in the email sent me to a MA in Systems Engineering interview! Anyone else having similar difficulties? Or know when the deadline is?

Jan 13, 15 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
FYC87

I just got one too. Have yet to begin. Wonder how many people got it. Going to send a list of questions to the admission office

Jan 20, 15 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

@Yasamin.fathi 

If your level of English fluency makes it difficult to quickly answer these questions, how do you expect to be able to defend your work at reviews? You will be expected to answer difficult, sometimes aggressive questions about your work, in front of an audience of your peers, without time to carefully craft a response.

If the application interview is too much for you, you might reconsider the path you're taking. 

Jan 20, 15 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Amazing how unprofessional even the schools are in our biz

Jan 21, 15 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
jltrgn

Just got word that the problem has been fixed!

Jan 27, 15 11:40 am  · 
 · 
Ab-architect

I'm applying for M. Arch II at AAP as well and have just received the required interview email a couple of days ago! If any of you have already took it let us how it went and what where the type of questions 

Jan 29, 15 10:34 am  · 
 · 
bvega

I just received the same email. Is this a common part of the application phase? I am applying to the M.Arch 1.

Feb 6, 15 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
kleiva

I am going to go through this interview very soon, but has anyone already taken it? It would be super helpful to know how many questions/how long it takes so I can set the right amount of time for it. And if anyone wants to share the general type of questions for it, that would be great as well. 

Feb 8, 15 11:23 am  · 
 · 
bvega

I have not done it yet (will probably do it today), but it says to give yourself a good thirty minutes to complete it. 

Feb 8, 15 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Katzenmaske

Hi everyone, I'm an applicant to the M. Arch I program at Cornell in 2016. I just wanted to ask what does it mean if I haven't gotten this email. Is this video interview very important? 

Much appreciated.

Jan 19, 16 12:59 am  · 
 · 
JJ9527

It means nothing and don't get excited... It's an optional video interview that most people will get and it will not affect your chance of acceptance. Perhaps it's just a way to survey the students....but do it anyways

Hope that helps

Jan 19, 16 5:10 am  · 
 · 
matdez6

Anyone done it already, and know what sort of stuff they ask?

Jan 19, 16 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
mr.1111

Got the same invitation as a required part for my Fall 2017 M.Arch I application. Anyone know what to expect?

Jan 14, 17 9:07 am  · 
 · 
poliphiliusdreams

I received the same invitation for my M.Arch II application for 2017. Anyone done it yet? They have mentioned that this is a required part of the application.

Jan 14, 17 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
krittikaag

I too have received the mail for an interview. Has anyone done it ? Does anyone know the deadline of the same?

Jan 15, 17 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

I did it a couple of years ago and was accepted - it was a bunch of pre-recorded professors asking questions and it automatically started recording your response with it being capped at a certain amount of time before automatically moving on.  Questions were the typical interview type like why architecture? etc.  It was off the cuff and some of them were better than others.  They may have updated the system (hopefully) since then.    

Jan 15, 17 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
NMMN0325

I received the same email too for my M.Arch I - Fall 2017 application.  I'm planning on completing the interview this evening, and will provide an update later. 

Jan 16, 17 11:18 am  · 
 · 
M_ARCHhopeful

Same here, I am guessing its a good thing.

@NMMN0325 any feedback regarding questions would help!

@SpatialSojourner Thanks so much! Did you end up attending?

Jan 16, 17 11:28 am  · 
 · 
wayovermyhead

Did anybody who applied to Cornell NOT get this interview? I received an invitation even though Cornell is my major reach school, so I think everybody may have gotten one. Odd that it's required and not a part of the initial app though.

Jan 17, 17 4:17 am  · 
 · 
M_ARCHhopeful

@wayovermyhead in the past years not everyone got the interview. Maybe the people in "MAYBE" and "YES" pile get it. I am sure people who got it made some sort of a cut because otherwise it would just be a part of the initial application like you pointed out. 

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what makes you think you are not good enough for Cornell? GPA GRE Portfolio??

Jan 17, 17 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
M.arch123

Everyone gets the interview. it is a standard part of the AAP application. They wait to confirm they have the rest of your application material before reaching out that is why there is a delay from your initial submission. 

Jan 17, 17 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
ZumelJ

The interview was easy, it was super simple.  Mine was two questions that should have been answered from my statement of purpose.  I feel that the video interview is only there so they can put a face/voice on your application.  That is the only way it can affect your application.  I still feel that above all, the portfolio is the major factor still, regardless of the video interview.  

Jan 17, 17 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
yoyoyoyoyo

I didnt get the invitation of interview... It seems like whole world is getting it I am becoming really depressed now... Seems like those who didnt get an interview were already kicked out from their list...

Jan 18, 17 10:44 am  · 
 · 
ZumelJ

@yoyoyoyoyo

I think the opposite, because in the email it said, "At this point in the application process we would like to invite you to record an online video interview in order to augment your application."  To me, the word augment strikes out the most, because for some reason...it implies to me that my application wasn't strong enough so it would need a video to augment it.  Idk man.  Best of luck.  I emailed them asking if we have to do it, because previous years it was optional, but they told me it was a requirement for all applicants, are you sure you didn't get the email?

Jan 18, 17 10:54 am  · 
 · 
M.arch123

@yoyoyoyoyo 

Check your spam, mine initially went to spam. I would reach out to the admissions office if you still don't see it to ask why you didn't get the email.

Jan 18, 17 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
yoyoyoyoyo

@ZumelJ @M.arch123

Thanks for giving help!

I finally receive it 4 hours ago!

Probably it takes time for them to check if all of my application materials are ready.

Apparently it is a compulsory interview that everyone has to do.

Jan 18, 17 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
ZumelJ

That's weird, because it was optional the year before.  @yoyoyoyoyo

Jan 18, 17 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
mm09

@ZumeIJ which program are you applying to? You said, you got 2 questions. I got 6. :-/

Jan 19, 17 2:42 am  · 
 · 
ZumelJ

@mm09 M.Arch I, you?  Yea I was bewildered by the fact I only had two questions.  I don't know what that even means. 

Jan 19, 17 3:02 am  · 
 · 
yoyoyoyoyo

@ZumelJ  Yeah this is a compulsory one this year :/

Jan 19, 17 6:43 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

This is a complete farce. You are proposing to give them a ton of money and they are making you jump through hoops before they will let you know if they will accept it? There are many exceptional candidates who could easily do the work for which Cornell would not be a good fit. IF they are going to have an 'interview" it should be both ways. You should be able to ask questions and interview THEM. If you don't like THEIR answers you should walk and go somewhere human. Putting another layer of anxiety on hapless applicants just because they can is a prime reason to stay far away. Just my opinion.  

Jan 19, 17 8:42 am  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

^I called after being accepted and had a nice chat with Caroline O´Donnell.  She's really nice and personable but I ultimately decided to go elsewhere.  Sometimes, I wonder if the grass would have been greener because of our chat vs not really thinking about the other schools that I decided not to go to.  It is a two way street if one takes the initiative. 

Jan 19, 17 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
mm09

@zumeIJ I am applying for M.Arch II

Jan 19, 17 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
ingridshen

I am applying for MRP and also receive that email, said it is required. 

Jan 20, 17 1:16 am  · 
 · 
yoyoyoyoyo

Some people who receive the email earlier said that the deadline of the video interview is on 20th

But for me who receive it later has no deadline. It is quite impossible for me to it before 20th….

Anyone has the same problem…

Jan 20, 17 1:42 am  · 
 · 
ZumelJ

How many questions were you guys asked in the video interview?  And what M.Arch program did you guys apply to?

Jan 20, 17 3:45 am  · 
 · 
Yayaissme

Mine has no due date. I just wrote the admissions department for a formal due date. I'll post here when they respond. I too can't finish it by today. 

Jan 20, 17 8:00 am  · 
 · 
fmalek

It had no deadline, but after I emailed them, they replied that it is "better" to complete it by the end of the week. And then a few hours later a general email was sent out that said "Please complete this video interview by 11:59pm on Friday, January 20."

To those who have done it already: Can you please post the questions here?

Jan 20, 17 9:02 am  · 
 · 
Yayaissme

No cheating. I didn't get the questions why should you?!

Jan 20, 17 9:21 am  · 
 · 
ZumelJ

^exactly.  

I'll give you a hint though, Job Interview Questions.

And speculate what would they ask you, and chances are, they would ask you.  Maybe.  

@Fa8te

Jan 20, 17 10:21 am  · 
 · 
M.arch123

Did all M.arch I applicants only have 2 questions? 

Jan 20, 17 11:26 am  · 
 · 
ZumelJ

I have no idea.  But I did. @M.arch123

Jan 20, 17 11:29 am  · 
 · 
ZumelJ

Did you? @M.arch123

Jan 20, 17 11:30 am  · 
 · 
Yayaissme

I had 2 too

Jan 20, 17 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
M_ARCHhopeful

So it is 2 questions for 30 seconds each? so the entire thing is really just a minute? And that is what we are stressing about... I don't understand why it couldn't just be a part of the initial application if everyone receives it and if it is meant to be recorded whenever.

Jan 20, 17 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Bitter_lemon

I got the email yesterday but have not received anither email stating the deadline. Have we established that this required interview has gone out to every single applicant??

Jan 20, 17 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
M_ARCHhopeful

Since no one else commented saying they didn't get one I think it is safe to say everyone might have? Just an assumption.. Although if this was a REQUIRED part of application for EVERY APPLICANT I don't understand why there is no information whatsoever on the website regarding it. 

It would help if people asserting that everyone got the interview provided a source.

Jan 20, 17 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
mr.1111

Thanks all for your input!

For me, it was also only two simple questions (M.Arch I). Agree with @ZumelJ, it really seems to be just to add a face and voice to the application. 

Jan 20, 17 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: