Archinect
anchor

Grad school requiring TOEFL...

archigradthrowaway

Problem: a grad school is asking for a TOEFL score that I don't have. 

Situation: I've lived and attended schools in the US for the past 12 years and consider English my primary language (I've forgotten much of my first language). Studied literature in college and scored 96% on the GRE verbal.  

Question: has anyone had similar experiences in grad school application process and successfully talked their way out of this ludicrous requirement? Considering TOEFL costs $200 that I don't have...I'm willing to hear some suggestions.

Jan 9, 15 1:53 am
bugsmetoo

Did you apply as an international student?

Jan 9, 15 2:15 am  · 
 · 
annairamgo

I had this problem with almost all the programs I applied to.

Because I was born in Mexico I have been by default asked to submit a TOEFL score even though I am a US Citizen (never even attended school/lived in Mexico). Shoot them an email and explain your situation and they will go in and fix the problem for you. 

Jan 9, 15 2:32 am  · 
 · 

If you get in touch with the school they may be able to accommodate you or give you an internal assessment. 

I wouldn't take it personally!  It is standard to always ask for English competency test scores if English is not your first language regardless of how long you've been in a country or what qualifications you may already have achieved.  However, most schools are used to addressing situations such as you describe.

Jan 30, 15 8:32 am  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

I know some schools let you waive TOEFL if you graduated from a US undergrad program. I wouldn't take the test if I were you. Get in touch with the admissions office; I think it's a pretty common case.

Feb 1, 15 9:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: