Archinect
anchor

Sketchup Pro on Macbook?

vanlewis

Wondering if anyone has experience running the CURRENT Sketchup Pro on a CURRENT Macbook, either Air or Pro. I want to move the residential part of my practice to a portable, quick, intuitive hardware/software combo. Hearing mixed reports on whether SU runs well on Macbooks, and whether the current version is capable of producing good construction docs. Some of the houses i design are very big. I don't want laggy software, and i don't want another overpowered/overpriced REVIT license. Your thoughts?

Jan 8, 15 9:08 pm
bugsmetoo

Not too much of a graphical difference between the Air and 13" Pro (not counting discrete GPU). If you want to move up, the Iris Pro ought to be alright without much heat generation or battery compromise on the 15" and isn't that much worse than whatever 7XXm chip for non-gaming tasks. But I suggest you wait it out until the 2015 refresh because both integrated and dedicated GPUs ought to be much much better. 

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Iris-Pro-Graphics-5200.90965.0.html

Look at the SPECperf benchmarks. Maya, Solidworks, they give a good idea of where this places in professional apps. Pretty much the same as other mobile gaming non-workstation cards.

Jan 8, 15 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
proto

rhino continues to be free on the mac platform (still in beta)

Jan 9, 15 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Depends how well you model at an elemental level. So long as you can keep the size relatively small by adhering to a very good modeling methodology I've found it to be fine.

Jan 9, 15 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Buy the Asus machine that looks like the MacBookPro and buy yourself something nice with the hundreds of dollars you saved.  

Jan 9, 15 6:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: