Archinect
anchor

Is it okay to learn CAD on a MacBook Pro? What do most offices run CAD on?

h_arch

Hi all,

I'm an arch student right now and just getting started with an AutoCAD course. I currently have a MacBook Pro, but the instructor recommended getting a PC for CAD. My question for those working is, do most offices run CAD on PCs, or should I learn to do it on my Mac? 

Thank you in advance

Jan 8, 15 12:22 pm
Non Sequitur

PC

Jan 8, 15 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

my first thought is, if you want to be an architect, focus on learning architecture rather than computers.  if you're focused on software or hardware, might be better to push your life in that direction.

my second though is, get a pc.

most offices use pc's, but not all.  the ones that don't use pc's made a bad decision.  it happens.  that has no bearing on you since you're in school.  whenever you get a real job, you'll have to learn all sorts of standards specific to that firm anyway, so the operating system is a small thing buried in with a bunch of other things.  better to work for a company that's concerned about your interest in architecture rather than your interest in operating systems.

tldr;

do most offices run CAD on PCs, - doesn't matter

should I learn to do it on my Mac? - no, because macs suck

Jan 8, 15 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
h_arch

Thank you, @NonSequitur. 

@curtkram - This is part of the arch program I'm enrolled in...I'm not sure how you gathered I'm more technology driven and should move my life in that direction over a simple question re: a program. 

Jan 8, 15 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
proto

fwiw, i run autocad native on a mac...ymmv

listen to kurtkram's first thought

Jan 8, 15 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Veuxx
Doesn't matter. Don't overthink it
Jan 8, 15 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

It sounds like a basic course so you'll be fine. If the instructor is pestering, just Bootcamp and show the Windows logo on-screen.

Jan 8, 15 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

h_arch, you're not asking about how to be a better architect or a better designer.  you're asking about operating system preferences.  if your interest was in architecture, why come here to talk about operating systems?

Jan 8, 15 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

MIT's computer labs run Windows on Mac Pros. The "macs suck" thing is total horseshit.

If you prefer using a Mac for Adobe programs (many designers do), go right ahead. You'll need to run Windows as well (for AutoCAD/Rhino/Revit/3dsMax/etc), which is super easy. Rebooting between operating systems takes <8 seconds on a new MacBook Pro.

That said, those AutoCAD and Rhino versions for the Mac are absolutely terrible.

Jan 8, 15 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
enableaccountdeletion

h_arch:

Regarding the first part of your question, the answer is yes, most offices operate in PC environments. That does not mean that there are not offices that operate in Mac environments, it's just that a majority are using PCs. (For example, Vectorworks was, for a long time, only available on Macs.)

The reality is that at this point, nearly every piece of software is either available or interchangeable on either platform, or can be run on a Mac via Boot Camp et al.

As to your second question -- should you learn it on a PC, well, that's entirely up to you. In my opinion, there are no significant differences between the Mac and Windows versions of AutoCAD specifically, and as long as you're comfortable in a Windows environment (i.e., Ctrl vs. ⌘) you're going to be okay.

Additionally, I don't think there's much point in you buying a second device to run a piece of software that works perfectly well on the one you have.

Anecdotally, a small boutique firm with a Bring Your Own Device policy may let you continue down your Mac-based path.

Jan 8, 15 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
toosaturated

Just use bootcamp and install windows on your mac. There's no reason to sacrifice what you already have. I would avoid using parallel since it divides your computer's resources. I personally liked using macs if I can afford it, but pretty much all firms who still use autocad have PCs. 

Jan 8, 15 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
urbanity

pc's are more widely used because they are cheaper than macs. cheaper does not equate to better.

Whatever hardware or software that you choose to utilize is entirely up to you. You won't make a wrong choice whichever way you go.

There are some strong opinions expressed here, it doesn't mean that what is right for them will be right for you.

Jan 8, 15 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Use Bootcamp and run Windows.

The reason most arch. firms use PCs is because most of our software is designed for PCs - like AutoCAD, Revit, 3ds Max and Rhino. Rhino and Autocad for Macs suck big time.

The reason our softwares are designed for PC and not for Mac have nothing to do with the hardware itself. Actually most of the guts are the exact same these days. The fact is that architects & engineers are most cost-conscious, and go for PCs, and hence it becomes more obvious to develop for Windows.

With Macs getting cheaper, the software manufacturers have started porting Architectural software to the Mac OS side, but they leave a lot to be desired.

So, yes, go the Bootcamp route - if its basic CAD then you can even do parallels. Download a trial version and have a go at it!

Jan 8, 15 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
h_arch

Thank you all so much for your feedback. It sounds like the Bootcamp route to run windows via my Mac is the best option for me right now, especially for this first course. I will look into getting a PC (maybe I can find a used one?) when I proceed and get into Rhino and Revit. Thank you again. 

Jan 8, 15 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

If you haven't already purchased the Adobe suite, get it for PC as well - switching back and forth between mac and pc sucks when a deadline is looming.

Jan 8, 15 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

I wonder if, years ago in curtkrams time, architecture students discussed grey versus green vyco, staedtler versus micron, ink versus lead? 

Jan 8, 15 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

the conversations about lead holders/pencils were almost endless.

i have a favorite.  i like my favorite, that's why it became my favorite :)

oh, and i don't think there was ever a question between staedtler and micron

Jan 8, 15 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Honestly it shouldn't matter. I switched from an office using PC-based AutoCad to another one using Mac-based AutoCad. It took a few days to get used to but ultimately works the same. I still like the PC version better, but theres not enough of difference at the beginner level to warrant changing your system.

Jan 8, 15 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

If had MIT's huge budget, sure I'd run Windows on a MacPro.  For those not rolling in money, get a PC.  

Apple is now a phone and tablet company.  Computer users are at best a secondary or tertiary concern for Apple.

I hate hate hate my MacBook pro.

Jan 9, 15 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
proto

h-arch

DO NOT run Bootcamp for a major piece of software...just don't...it's a pain in the ass and you will be unhappy and wondering why you did. Choose a PC before you choose this route. The Adobe products are just as usable on a PC.

I know others above say Autocad for Mac sucks but i'm baffled by that statement since I use it everyday. I've worked on autocad for 18yrs (and most of those years on pc's), and I'm not tracking any problems unique to the platform and wishing I was running it native in windows.

The biggest plus to getting a PC is the available software options. But, if you want to keep your mac and just run with what you've got. Get autocad for mac.

and Rhino for mac is free (but still in beta testing)

Jan 9, 15 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Narcus

Get a mac. Nothing crashes, and if you ever need to work on those terribly large files just go to Computer Lab. 

Jan 11, 15 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

@proto 

It's not a pain in the ass if you know what you're doing (or can follow a very simple set of instructions). I've been doing it for years with literally zero problems.

@thisisnotmyname

My point was just that Macs are very capable of successfully running anything in Windows that an architecture student might need. If a performance-oriented place like MIT (via their huge budget, sure) has decided on Macs, that is illustrative of the fact that they can run everything an architecture student might use as well as PCs can.

Jan 11, 15 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
proto

@placebeyondthesplines, perhaps I'm out of date on what Bootcamp does for you...

correct me if i'm wrong:

-you're running & paying for two OS's with likely duplicate copies of essential items like email, calendars, web browsers, work file directories, user profiles, hard drive partitions, backup solutions, etc.

-you have to reboot to change between worlds (ie, do you synch your email clients btwn windows & macOS?)

If you need to run an exclusively PC program (3DStudio, for example), what is so precious about macOS that you wouldn't just move to windows completely and work in a single world? (i like mac, but not so much that i would cling to it when my daily business tells me otherwise (ie needing other tools))

Jan 12, 15 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

The two points listed shows just how inexperienced and out of touch you are with technology. 

With the speed of reboots and cloud syncing that is indifferent to the operating system, it takes seconds to switch from one machine to another. So simple most casual home users can even do it and endure the oh so humiliating pain of a restart over faster than most can complain. Backup plans are incredibly cheap and cross-platform in 2015. The pedestrian services like Dropbox, Drive, Backblaze, S3, Azure, etc. will sync fine; or just grab a bunch of hard drives and configure them accordingly. A technical person able to install Windows via Boot Camp will figure it out after all these years.

Log into any browser and voila, all the mail is there. For a daily machine, it makes no sense to constantly reboot via Boot Camp but no one does that with full intent. It's simply an option that presents a lot of flexibility for a little compromise in manageable downtime. Restart, wait ten seconds, continue. 

What's so precious about Windows that you need a native machine? There's no fundamental difference between a Mac or any other generic Windows machine when booting into Boot Camp except the argument that you can get the same machine for cheaper. But that's none of your concern what someone else values or chooses to pay extra for. Just as some choose not to opt for a HP or Dell workstation with service coverage and instead deal with their own troubles on a self-built machine.

Your personal preferences don't change the reality that when properly set up, a Mac is fine for a student or professional.

Jan 12, 15 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

or you could not bother with doing any of that.

that's like, paragraphs of unnecessarily complicating stuff.  what benefit does a mac bring at that point?

Jan 12, 15 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

What's so complicated? Unless you can't install simple software that requires nothing more than a user ID and password. 

Jan 12, 15 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

(a) you have to install simple software

(b) you need a user id

(c) you need a password

unnecessary steps.  unnecessarily complicated.

i suppose if you like to complicate things by trying to explain how easy it is to add a bunch of extra steps, then maybe that's the benefit.

Jan 12, 15 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
proto

The two points listed shows just how inexperienced and out of touch you are with technology.

except that the two points are accurate and you concede it by listing a bunch of workarounds

curtkram gets it

Jan 13, 15 10:57 am  · 
 · 
liamsteyn

Im still in school and i am starting next year with AutoCad and was wanting to know if  could get a simple answer to my question - will AutoCad run smoothly with out freezing and glitching on a apple macbook air/pro?

Nov 17, 16 8:03 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^get a pc.

Nov 17, 16 9:25 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

it won't lag. /thread

Nov 17, 16 9:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

and you'll have enough left over gold coins for plenty of tasty beers.

Nov 17, 16 9:29 am  · 
 · 
liamsteyn

would it not be better to get a mac air/pro as i have gone apple with the iPhone apple TV and iPad and all - what apple laptop should i get and why?

Nov 17, 16 10:19 am  · 
 · 
liamsteyn

plus how bad would the lag be if i got apple mac air/pro

Nov 17, 16 10:19 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Why would there be lag? its just 2D lines.

Nov 17, 16 10:29 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^get a pc

Unless you're a simpleton and a slave to fashion and/or shiny objects.

Nov 17, 16 10:33 am  · 
 · 
liamsteyn

so whats better mac pro or air?

Nov 17, 16 11:02 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Mate, use google find out specs and see which you need/suits you best. It isn't rocket science.

Nov 17, 16 11:05 am  · 
 · 
liamsteyn

well thanks for the advise in any case - i did just that an all sorted 

Nov 17, 16 11:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

better at what? flying?

I'd say their rank poorly but perhaps I'm not getting the right wind-up in my discus toss.

Nov 17, 16 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
samkarp

I'd use fra.me

Nov 17, 16 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
seanselfe

if you have a mac, look at vectorworks or archicad.  much better programs, more intuitive and great graphics.  autocad is like slicing bread with a rock

Nov 17, 16 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

It's a rock that every office uses..unless your office uses vectorworks or archicad don't bother.

Nov 17, 16 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

+1 on the cost issue.  In our experience, PC laptops have saved us money in lower initial purchase price, lower cost to upgrade drives and memory, and lower costs to repair when damaged.

Nov 18, 16 11:36 am  · 
 · 
Adolar

What an impressively toxic thread. Most of these comments aren't even addressing the question.

@h_arch - I'm currently in a similar boat. From all the research I've done I would say you'll be fine using the computer you already own for now. With certain software, you will get better performance on your laptop just by booting into Windows via bootcamp. Buying a copy of Windows 10 is much cheaper than a new laptop. 

If you run into a situation where your current MacBook Pro just won't cut it, you can look into an upgrade. Your main advantage to purchasing a more powerful Mac vs. a PC, will be the support. Chances are, you live near an Apple Store where you will find better support than any PC manufacturer can provide. A PC will be MUCH cheaper however. A comparably configured XPS 15 vs. a MacBook Pro 15 has a price difference of about $1000. If you have the cash, that trade off is worth it to some.

In a pinch, when your deadline is near and your laptop isn't working right, you have someplace to go where you can find help (especially if you get the Applecare+ extended warranty). 

Hot tip: buy from the Apple Refurbished site to save some of that expense. There's really no downside to it other than the availability of some products. The discount is better than the education discount usually.

If you can't justify that extra expense and would rather save money and deal with any potential issues yourself, I would recommend a Dell Precision 5520 or 5530. These laptops are pretty much the same as the Dell XPS 15, only they have hardware that is optimized for things like CAD. They are thin, light, have great build quality, and preform well. They are also priced well if you catch a sale. They were recently on a very good Black Friday sale.

I can't say I know much about how many firms use Macs or PCs but I assume the commenters above are correct. It seems most use PCs, but some prefer Macs. I wouldn't worry about that much.

Good luck with your studies!

Nov 25, 18 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Lewis Garrison

If it's just for school, you're free to learn on whatever you want. But if the question is what is most commonly used in most Architecture offices then get ready to use a PC. Regardless of the which is better debate. 

Nov 26, 18 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

it is true that the vast majority of firms run on windows. i always recommend student to get used to autocad and rhino on windows. 

that said, the windows vs mac question won't affect you as a designer. 

Dec 14, 18 12:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: