Archinect
anchor

LEED Responsibility

KRich

I'd like to get your opinion and input on who is typically responsible for uploading LEED submittals to the USGBC website, keeping track of LEED credits required to meet your goal for the project?  This is based on the 018113.13 Sustainable Design Requirements spec section.  

Jan 7, 15 5:03 pm
senjohnblutarsky

1.5 pretty clearly states that it is among the contractor's administrative requirements to submit documentation to the USGBC those credits and prerequisites which have been made the responsibility of the contractor. 

So, if you don't make a credit the contractor's responsibility, I guess it isn't.

Or just ditch the scam in general.

Jan 7, 15 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
KRich

In my experience the contractor has only been responsible for supplying the LEED submittals to the Architect and/or LEED Coordinator.  From there the Architect/Coordinator do all the USGBC uploading and track the credits to make sure the project will achieve the LEED goal.  

In this situation the Architect is trying to say it's the Contractor's responsibility to do everything LEED.  I don't believe 1.5 clearly puts all of that responsibility on the contractor.  I think it makes the contractor responsible for gathering all the submittal information required to meet each credit and submit to the Architect.  

Just trying to get others opinions and experience with LEED, as I clearly don't have all the answers regarding this.  I agree, I could do without this LEED bs in the future.

Jan 8, 15 7:39 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

never trust contractors.

Jan 8, 15 8:13 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

don't try for leed if you can't trust your contractor.

so krich, if you're going for construction waste management, does the architect coordinate the waste removal service and when the dumpsters are unloaded?  does the architect verify the weight or volume and what's getting diverted to where?  if not, why would the architect be responsible for submitting that credit?

does the architect really spec low voc sealant?  i would think at some point it is out the hands of the architect to verify and collect receipts for every tube of caulk.  all of that has to go through the contractor anyway, so wouldn't it be considerably more efficient to let the contractor fill out what's necessary for LEED?  it's not just to eliminate the architect as an additional and unnecessary step in the process, but to make sure the contractor knows what they're supposed to be keeping track of (which is a lot).

as a leed coordinator, i can go onto the leed website and verify what's been submitted by the contractor.  there is no point in having him email all of that stuff.

how about MEP consultants, which would especially apply to the energy credit?  does the architect fill out the energy model? 

Jan 8, 15 9:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: