Archinect
anchor

How Did you Celebrate Architectural Registration?

Fruehling

I Have Completed IDP, the ARE, and have filed with the state. I am about to be an Architect. 

My Boss, who received his Licence ~30 years ago, recalled how memorable it was to go to the State courthouse where he was sworn in and recited the 'Architect's Oath'.   He was emphatic that if this opportunity is available I attend.

However, the Last time our state did this was ~10 Years ago.  

Did you commemorate your achievement?

Should Someone (State or AIA) offer such a ceremony, and would you go?

Here is how I will be Celebrating:

Jan 7, 15 5:04 pm
senjohnblutarsky

I'll be buying a watch.

Jan 7, 15 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I bought an expensive painting at my old high-school art teacher's gallery exposition as a thank-you and closure to someone who helped me out greatly when I had no clue what I was doing. I still don't know, but that's another story.

Jan 7, 15 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i bought myself a beer.  once my license arrived i got a frame from crate and barrel.  i never actually hung it on a wall though.  maybe someday.

Jan 7, 15 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I started saying "I'm an architect" when asked what I did for a living.

Congratulations, Fruehling.

Jan 7, 15 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Fart loudly

Jan 7, 15 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Drinks at Burnside Bar until I could barely stand. Then girlfriend took me home.

Then I came in late enough to cross paths with the partner I work with, coming in. He grinned and nodded at my obvious hangover.

Jan 7, 15 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
proto

i stamped my wife

Jan 7, 15 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

congrats...I ordered my stamp and consumed beer/tequila.  

Jan 7, 15 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
Congratulations, Fruehling!!

My husband threw a surprise party and gave me a vintage Eames chair. He's the best, and it was wonderful that he recognized it.

It's worth celebrating, for real. It's a huge accomplishment!
Jan 7, 15 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
cajunarch

Went to the local stamp store with a few friends for the ceremonial ordering of my stamp and then a few (many) beers  

Jan 7, 15 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I did nothing I can remember.  Probably still in shock because I hadn't expected to pass it on my first try (literally studied the night before and considered the first time as a trial run to know how to really study for it the next time).  It's also not like there were 'valid' study guides because the test changed and I was doing the 'new ARE'.

The testing was different for me; had the option of the old 3 day one or be part of a test group... I was in the guinea pig group to take the whole ARE exam on the computer (they'd done the multiple choice, but not the design until us); Literally, just here and a place in CA had it before they rolled it nationally later after changing it some more (some vignettes were split, others were deleted). So beyond the test I had to cram into a week window, I got to meet and get debriefed/interviewed by the graders and developer about the exam and this new stuff and the issues I had.  Anyway, I was left brain dead and traumatized so it's sort of a blur in my memory now.  I still cringe at spinning hour glasses which I saw a lot of on the timed exam to add to the stress level. 

Anyway... Congratulations!   It really is a huge achievement!

Jan 8, 15 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

congratulations.

I don't remember at all what I did, probably nothing. It took 9 months and several phone calls with NCARB to get them to transmit my record to the state licensing board so it was belated and anticlimactic when I finally got the license in the mail. Also only 3 weeks before my state's biennial expiration date so I immediately had to log on to the state boards' website to submit for renewal :)

Indiana's license is fairly nice looking. My state's fits on half on an 8.5x11 paper and looks about as prestigious as my middle school diploma. I keep it in drawer with important documents.

Jan 8, 15 8:48 pm  · 
 · 

Indeed, midlander, Indiana's license is lovely. My initial license was in Pennsylvania, and it looked like what you'd see on any dentist's or CPA's office.

Jan 8, 15 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

I was so beat-up and worn out from the process that I couldn’t really believe it, still waiting after 40 years for someone to change their mind and take it away from me. Did buy a leather Eames Soft Pad chair and I’m still sitting in it.

Jan 10, 15 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
Fruehling

I Think I will Have to show my Wife this forum and Link to knock off eames furniture! Seems like the most popular answer, which, I suppose could be completely combined with drinking too much!

Jan 15, 15 10:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: