Archinect
anchor

Bill Clinton, AIA Keynote speaker

Maestro

Does anyone else have bad feeling about this?

Jan 6, 15 10:23 pm
jeiffert

Get over it.  Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Jan 6, 15 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
What kind of bad feeling? I'm excited about it. I've never seen him live and wonder if his famous charisma will be apparent.
Jan 7, 15 6:39 am  · 
 · 

Donna, are you familiar with the Clinton Legacy? NAFTA, deregulated the FCC and FDA, Gramm Leach Bliley, etc. etc. He even signed a resolution calling for regime change in Iraq.

Then again as a complete sellout maybe he is the perfect choice for AIA keynote speaker. 

Jan 7, 15 8:45 am  · 
 · 

Yes.  But he's not as bad as Reagan. And I'm trying to understand the politician charisma, which I expect is something you can't really get a sense of unless you're in the same room with the person.

Jan 7, 15 8:58 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Dress conservatively, ladies. 

Jan 7, 15 9:07 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞
Well, I'll be there, so the ladies, and men, will have something better to feast on.
Jan 7, 15 10:08 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Dress provocatively, beta.

Jan 7, 15 10:11 am  · 
 · 
Alien 8

"Yes. But he's not as bad as Reagan."

Why jump immediately to the worst? It's pretty hard to beat Reagan at being a shitty president/person, and Bush is only runner-up because he wasn't quite the salesman (lacked that charisma of which you refer) that Reagan was.

I have doubts about what he can really contribute to the convention. I imagine he's going to treat it as a campaign stop in support of Hillary.

Jan 7, 15 10:49 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

"Charisma" is totally in the mind of the beholder. Clinton at best is guilty of having sex with a 20 year-old with the maturity of a 14 year-old while he was president. At worst he and the hideous Prince Andrew (more "Charisma"?) are guilty of rape of underage girls as recent reports suggest. Given who is was married to, I would give Clinton carte blanche to screw whoever he wanted to as long as he didn't pick on the young and vulnerable. What a sleaze bag.

Jan 7, 15 11:29 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I saw him stumping for a house rep where I used to live. The man can capture a crowd. Go see the speech if only to watch a well practiced orator.

Jan 7, 15 11:46 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Or to see where your AIA dues went.

Jan 7, 15 12:04 pm  · 
 · 

Sorry, Alien 8, I was responding to Miles, who on this other thread said Clinton was worse for the US than Reagan.  I very much disagree.

Jan 7, 15 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Reagan and Clinton don't even make the Top 10 Worst Presidents list. You guys need to read history more broadly.

Having said that, I wonder if Clinton will take some time during his speech to cover this topic: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2584309/Bill-Clinton-identified-lawsuit-against-former-friend-pedophile-Jeffrey-Epstein-regular-orgies-Caribbean-compound-former-president-visited-multiple-times.html

Jan 7, 15 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Good, the AIA could use some deregulation, if thats what people are concerned about.

Whats behind this is that the AIA is scrambling to get people to attend, and Clinton needs to do some canvassing for Hillary.

Jan 7, 15 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

"Go see the speech if only to watch a well practiced orator."

Will Monica be there, too?

Jan 7, 15 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

sameold, do you have a source to cite for the claim that AIA is scrambling to get people to attend? I've spoken to a whole lot of people who are going.

Jan 7, 15 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

Quoting the Daily Mail on an orgy accusation? Yeah, they're reliable.

Jan 7, 15 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Jan 7, 15 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

What kind of bad feeling? I'm excited about it. I've never seen him live and wonder if his famous charisma will be apparent.

Reminds me a bit of the tiny remaining cadre of Lance Armstrong supporters.

Jan 7, 15 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

It's impossible to objectively measure who was worse. In my experience every president is worse than the one before him.

Jan 7, 15 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

Anyone know why he was asked to be keynote speaker?

Jan 8, 15 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The AIA had a lot of extra cash laying around from overcharging members. Or to gain points if Hillary buys her way into the Oval Office by pre-selling influence by means of her own "speaking fees".

Jan 8, 15 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
file

Wow ... tough crowd !

I thought nobody here gave a rat's ass about AIA -- so, why all the angst ?

And, all the Clinton-bashing above makes this place sound like Fox News.

Where's the old Archinect I used to know ?

Jan 8, 15 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Anyone know why he was asked to be keynote speaker?

I'm guessing it is because the AIA is a supporter of the Clinton Global Intitive stuff.  Clean energy, cities of the future, better building challenge, etc.  So he's actually been really good about using his past to be very active in various movements.  Partnering companies have spent half a billion in upgrading their facilities to be more energy efficient.  Also responsible for multiple grants for Commericial Building Technologies, and so forth.

Just because most ex-presidents sit around talking about the old days in office at fund raisers, Bill Clinton is behind a lot of grassroots privately funded non-profit work.  Sort of like Bill Gates does too.  Clinton however does this worldwide and has that clout to meet with various world leaders and open doors most non-profits can't.  So he can go to China and broker deals between the leadership and private industry to upgrade and clean up how things are done.  You bet those leaders also know Hillary is in the background and could be a future president and does effect foreign policy with the US.  Clinton is good at leveraging his name to open doors otherwise politics could not.  

Makes perfect sense to me.  AIA is into 'green' and new building technologies, and Clinton is a good speaker and very well versed and active in those movements and the development worldwide.

Jan 8, 15 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

but mighty, he was a democrat.  that means he's probably not a tea partier.  he probably doesn't even listen to rush limbaugh or glenn beck or whoever it is the rabble follow now.  surely you can see why people would be opposed to what he's doing?

Jan 8, 15 2:17 pm  · 
 · 

Nice post, mightyaa.

Also, he hired Polshek to design his much-acclaimed presidential library. Good taste.

Jan 8, 15 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

http://whostobla.me/cloud.jpg

Not you again TAM?

Jan 8, 15 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Less that 10 percent of the donations to the Bill and Hillary Charitable Foundation have been given to charity. The money from the tax-free foundation supports mostly Bill and Hillary. As for the speaking fees for Hillary this is how it works: a organization seeking favor will give a college or university a large sum of money as a "donation", say $300,000. The college or university will then contract with Hilary to give a speech for, you guessed it, $300,000. Legal? Maybe. Ethical? The former Virginia governor has just been sentenced to two years in prison for a lot less. Hillary is pre-selling influence on the chance she will be elected. I don't understand why the both of them are not in jail.

Jan 8, 15 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No one missed your hatred during your absence TAM.

Jan 8, 15 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

was that from a thursday evening during clinton's presidency?

volunteer doesn't like democrats and tammuz doesn't like israelis.  lots to learn here.

Jan 8, 15 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

haters need to create a hate-anytime-for-whatever-the-cause-brand. muslim or middle eastern sounding names and somebody speaks for them will suffice. TAMMUZ as you know these people are real die hard haters.

Jan 8, 15 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

holy fuck, here goes tammuz, another hijacked thread....this is internet terrorism. 

Jan 8, 15 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I sleep rather well, thanks for asking.

Jan 8, 15 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

Ask a simple question and Tammuz,  Curtkram and Orhan quickly heighten up to a Defcon One panty clench.   Stand down, crazy people!

Jan 8, 15 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

sorry saint.  from the aia announcement:

The theme of this year’s AIA Convention is Impact, focusing on how architects impact their communities both locally and globally. Through learning the essential skills to become successful entrepreneurs, the AIA Convention will provide attendees the skills to grow, sell and promote their firm’s business. 

President Bill Clinton
William Jefferson Clinton was the first Democratic president in six decades to be elected twice – first in 1992 and then in 1996. Under his leadership, the country enjoyed the strongest economy in a generation and the longest economic expansion in U.S. history, including the creation of more than 22 million jobs.

After leaving the White House, President Clinton established the Clinton Foundation with the mission to improve global health, strengthen economies, promote health and wellness, and protect the environment.

In addition to his Foundation work, President Clinton has served as the top United Nations envoy for the Indian Ocean tsunami recovery effort and as the UN Special Envoy to Haiti. Today, the Clinton Foundation is supporting economic growth, capacity building, and education in Haiti.

Jan 8, 15 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Clinton = welfare to work = Reagonics = trickle down. Source of problems.

Get behind Elizabeth Warren, now.

Jan 8, 15 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I guess there was no quid-pro-quo expected when NBC paid Chelsea Clinton a starting salary of $600,000 a year to be an unwatchable reporter? No corruption there. Doesn't everyone in the news biz start out around $600,000?

Jan 8, 15 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

another democrat that volunteer doesn't like?  i'm always amazed by these surprises.

Jan 8, 15 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Better or worse than Rob Ford? I'm almost too afraid to think that he'll speak at one of my association's conferences one day.
Jan 8, 15 5:59 pm  · 
 · 

It's not trickle down, it's trickle up.

Democrat is simply another name for Republican.

How did Clinton go form a net worth <$1m in 1980 to a current net worth of >$60m?

NAFTA killed domestic manufacturing and created huge unemployment in the US and Mexico (due to dumping of taxpayer subsidized corn for less than it cost Mexican farmers to grow it, so they came here to work).

Gram Leach Bliley undid the regulations put in place with the Glass-Steagall Act after the Great Depression to keep THAT from ever happening again ...

Deregulation of the FCC allowed massive media monopolization - 5 companies now control the vast majority of ALL US media.

Deregulation of the FDA allowed drug makers to get approvals based on their own testing and cut the drug trial time in half.

Clinton waged near continuous war against Iraq with Operations Desert Strike, Northern Watch and Desert Fox. The Iraq Liberation Act of 1998 called for regime change there. Cheney's sock puppet GWB justed following the program already in place.

Let's not forget the Defense of Marriage Act, or GATT, or the build up of police and prisons, or "workfare", etc., etc., etc.

Wake up people. They only let us vote to perpetuate the illusion that it is all our fault because we elected the wrong asshole.

Elizabeth Warren is a real person, which is why she will never be President. Neither will Jill Stein, the Green Party candidate who was arrested just for showing up at the Obamney "debate" at Hofstra University. The only people who can ever be president are those who are fully vetted and supported by the corporate-financial-military-energy complex.

Ever wonder why there aren't any "third party" candidates at "presidential debates? Because it is a two party system: us and them.

Jan 8, 15 6:00 pm  · 
 · 

wait did, a bunch of comments by tammuz get nuked?

Jan 8, 15 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
^
Yes.
Jan 8, 15 6:12 pm  · 
 · 

That wasn't the tammuz that used to post here, that one was far more loquacious.

Thanks to Archinect for putting a quick end to it.

Jan 8, 15 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

AIA Convention 9 years ago. I'd love to see things got improved. I am a pin wearing member of AIA just in case somebody recognizes it or asks "what's that pin for" in public and we talk about architecture. I am kind of a walking info center about arc. There are collective volunteer time architects can do to engage people in architecture. It is necessary to talk about architects and architecture to people. So far, I informed many about what we do and why we are a necessary profession and impact / improve their daily lives .Sometimes I suggest they read about it. I usually recommend Architecture Without Architects to give them hard-ons. I figure when they are aware of architecture and see they are surrounded by it, they will be more likely to impact their environments, cities they live in, and so on. First of all we need to get people to "like" architecture. More they know about architecture better our built environment will be and we will be recognized by mass public. We then will be architects in a more sense of the word.

But who's going to hear Bill talking other than architects and maybe some students? Even if some hear him, so what? Now, if it was a current president, broadcasted partially or few messages picked up by the mass media, it would be more fruitful. Unfortunately that will not happen with Bill. How many of his numerous speeches this year alone you remember or heard on the radio/tv?

AIA could spend the money in neighborhoods. AIA's grass roots efforts on educating people about the built environment and its architecture sucks. 

Jan 8, 15 7:23 pm  · 
 · 

That would be terrible if somebody, mocked tammuz just to defame him again. it is usually the same pack.

Jan 8, 15 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

"...another democrat that volunteer doesn't like?  i'm always amazed by these surprises."

Yes, Volunteer really needs to follow your lead in objectivity.  

Jan 8, 15 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

you mean how i don't look for opportunities to drag president bush's daughters through the mud?

Jan 8, 15 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

^ as if they weren't perfectly capable of that themselves. 

Jan 9, 15 12:29 am  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

^^ Exactly.  Yes, I think that's a perfect example.

Jan 9, 15 6:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: