Archinect
anchor

Am I making the best decision by pursuing architecture?

idk2345

I'm a senior high school student from Mexico about to decide on a undergrad career choice. For many years I have wanted to go into architecture and later landscape architecture as a masters degree. I feel a passion for solving many of today's problems creatively through architecture and I find it fascinating how it is an art which using lifeless materials and creativity to embody the values and desires of the architect and of his time and context. I'm however torn because I'm also highly interested and passionate about many other things, mainly cooking and writing and would still like to pursue these as secondary activities. I feel that I can be rewarded (in a creative not monetary way) as an architect, and yes I acknowledge the bleak outlook for the field and the challenges it implies, but I want to make sure that it is the field for me. My plan is to get a bachelor's degree at Universidad Iberoamericana, where Victor Legorreta and Rojkind did bachelors studies. What should your main motivations be if you want to study architecture? How were you sure that this was the field that was going to be the most rewarding for you? 

Jan 6, 15 5:33 pm
chigurh

I'm going to give you some really good advice and come across as a real dickhead:

Don't go into this field.  

If you have other creative interests, you would be better served pursuing those areas of study.  

Architecture is a bitch of a profession, 1% of your time is dedicated to creativity the other 99% is bullshit.  

You will thank me in 10 years.  

Jan 6, 15 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

lol, that was awesome. Your post has the implications of a Kevin Smith film underlining the zeitgeist of American culture.

Please tell me that your narcissistic rant was a joke and your really aren't that big of a douche.

And OP, do stay far.............................................................................................far away from "Architecture".

Jan 6, 15 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i haven't seen enough narcissistic arrogant architects.  we definitely need more of them.  too many architects think they're just average designers.

Jan 6, 15 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

I love that the rant above was written by a 22 year old...

+1 curtkram

Jan 6, 15 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

ricardomartindelc95: I'm not going to weigh in on the zeitgeist discussion, but I will say that we make our own careers. Sure - with respect to economics, architecture can be a tough profession for most participants, but so are most creative endeavors, such as acting, writing, painting, sculpture, music, etc.

But, not everybody starves; not everybody is unhappy; not everybody becomes a chronic cynic. I know quite a large number of senior architects all around the country who continue to be generally happy and reasonably successful within the profession.

If you want it bad enough, if you work hard enough, if you're willing to master skills that may not come naturally (i.e. marketing and management); if you've got a decent amount of talent and can learn, there's no reason to avoid architecture as a career. Just don't ignore the challenges you face and then pretend, down the road, that nobody told you how hard it might be. Don't expect it to be easy.

Most importantly, don't go into the profession with the constraining idea that "I feel that I can be rewarded in a creative but not monetary way"  -- there's absolutely no reason you cannot achieve both types of rewards if that's what you set out to accomplish and work hard to achieve.

Good luck.

Jan 6, 15 7:26 pm  · 
 · 

Am I making the best decision by pursuing architecture?

No.

Really, no.

Unless of course you are a masochist or have a LARGE trust fund. Then by all means go for it.

Jan 6, 15 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
idk2345

CHI-GMP: Thank you for your optimistic response, it's just what I need since so many around me lately are so unpractically realistic and pessimistic. I think as an architect one tends to be an optimist and a dreamer, over all. It's these characteristics and the artistic endeavors that lead the best to be outstanding in the field. No, I'm not looking for wealth as a main motivation, though I will gladly welcome it, but to improve some of the world's problems and try to use my skills and creatively as I best can. I feel the need to help Mexico and to show what we have to offer to the rest of the world. Surprisingly, the construction business here has kept strong through the recession and we have more than we can deal with for issues in urbanism, sprawl and overpopulation. But this is were I as an architect hope to be an agent for change and belong in a movement to break architectural and urbanism paradigms, by taking part of improving problems partly through design. I will continue to dream and hold a high image of myself because I believe you need that to compete in any field and with hard work along with the skills I'll get through my education. 

Jan 6, 15 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
cajunarch

Ricardo:

Like most professions, architecture has its positive and negatives -  and on this website you will mostly see/read the negative, from people burnt out from their circumstances or others not yet fulfilling their hopes/dreams for a variety of reasons.  Rarely do you see positive stories here, mostly because people don't want to brag and/or have better things to do than whine and complain.

I can tell you that it is possible to have a successful, fulfilling career as an architect (both spiritually and financially)- but it's hard work, you need to catch a few breaks and you have to be strong enough to ride out economic distress when/if it happens in your community.

Only you can find out if its right for you - but don't be swayed by all the negativity here.

Good luck!

Jan 6, 15 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

@OP: you seem to have the same motives as most other architecture students so you'll fit in fine. You seem aware of some of the challenges with the profession - I'd only note you should really consider how willing you are to deal with low pay and lack of recognition for an extended period of time. It can be decades (not exaggerating!) before you will see any aspect of your vision manifested in a built project. Many of the big-name successful architects were in their 50's or later before they built work that got published - don't expect yourself to be an exception.

That said, if you actually like planning and designing and are content with a challenging, unpredictable career that pays modestly you can enjoy this. And if you like working with other people to help them figure out what they want built, you'll be given opportunities to do fun work. For most architects most of the time, the work is more about consulting and giving advice than about creative design. If you enjoy this aspect of the work, you can make a comfortable living while looking for chances to display some creative flair.

Don't go into this if you are looking for fame, recognition, or an opportunity to solve the world's problems: you will be miserable at the lack of control and public indifference most architects face. Even the most famous architects practicing today routinely complain about these issues.

As to your cooking and writing: keep up with them. Being good at either one will enrich your life and in unexpected ways lead you to be a better architect.

Somewhat tangential to your question, these 2 architects (principals of respected commercial firms in Chicago) talk about how high school students can prepare for a career in architecture. They aren't famous and their firms' work isn't going to change the world, but they give a good idea what the reality of practice is like.

Jan 6, 15 10:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: