Archinect
anchor

Archiculture

go do it

I was surfing for something else and stumbled into this movie "Archiculture"  It may be old news to some but new to me. Having never been in a design studio learning environment it looks invigorating. I am a bit envious of these kids. If you are in school and in this type of environment feeling stressed and overworked and out of ideas take a step back, take a deep breath because you are very lucky. These are some of the best days of your life and quite possibly the only time ,at least for a while, that you will have so much freedom of thought about the design of a project that you are working on.  Because when you start working you will be just a chump on the bench hoping to get in the game.  Just keep it all in perspective. This kid has a good relationship with the concept of the critique.  Don't take it personal, it is just business.

Then again like I said I have never had the privilege of going to Architecture school so I could very easily be full of poo. 

OK back on topic I was looking for a critique on the Kimbell Art Museum by Louis Khan. Is there any out there  that love it and some that don't?

Jan 5, 15 11:41 pm
bugsmetoo

Whoa, brolosophy. 

Jan 6, 15 5:37 am  · 
 · 

Whenever I hear someone refer to architecture school as the 'best days of their lives' I feel sad for them. It's like when people say their wedding was the best day of their life. Really, it all went downhill from there? Dang.

Studio had it's place and function, but in general it was bullshit. I've enjoyed working on real projects with actual clients, budgets and deadlines way more than I ever enjoyed formless, unrealistic, ambiguous little design explorations that were basically just shots in the dark with a vintage photoshop action on top.

Life doesn't end after architecture school. To my mind, it just gets more exciting. There's also more money and better hours, as long as you're not ingratiating yourself as an unpaid intern for a starchitect.

Jan 6, 15 11:00 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

That kid waxing poetic about Moses: Idiot.

Jan 6, 15 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

"OK back on topic I was looking for a critique on the Kimbell Art Museum by Louis Khan. Is there any out there  that love it and some that don't?"

From personal experience, or something written by an elite critic?

Personally I thought it was a very pleasant place, and a fairly surreal experience being in the Kimball, inches from a Blue Period Picasso, and being able to become fully enveloped in the experience.  The interior is finished in travertine, except for the barrel vaults, which are raw polished concrete, and glow with the light reflected on the from the sky lighting.  Anyway, the travertine makes for a very warm atmosphere in conjunction with the sky lighting and artificial lighting.  Now with the Renzo Piano addition you can experience something else entirely.  To me the experience between the two was the Louis Kahn Kimball plays the part of the heated pool, while the Piano was like jumping directly into the non-heated lap-pool (It wasn't pleasant)  But they had an exhibition on Impressionist Portraiture, so that made up for the unpleasant atmosphere of the Piano Gallery.

Jan 6, 15 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

Thanks Mr_Wiggin 

Stephanie --- Hello pay attention--- "These are some of the best days of your life" not THE best days of your life. 

Jan 6, 15 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

Duly noted. But the answer is still no.

Jan 7, 15 9:55 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

so you're saying if every day was the best day of your life, then the days at school would be considered among the ever growing number of best days of your life?

or you're kind of dividing the days of your life into a 'good' half and a 'bad' half, and some of those days while you're in school are part of the 'good' days?

makes sense.

if the latter is more true, i suppose you could equally say some of the worst days of your life will be while you're in studio.

Jan 7, 15 10:03 am  · 
 · 
x intern

my architect (documentary)

Jan 7, 15 10:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: