Archinect
anchor

Jobs that revolve around Architecture.

J_design

Hi I am an Undergrad student-athlete majoring Architecture (well duh) but anyways, I want to start working to have some pocket change and to get experience in the Architecture field. I know this is not an easy feet, especially with the outlooks for all Architects job wise. So I was wondering what jobs should I apply to now that have some type of involvement in the field of Architecture. Any information will help. As always no smart remarks or sarcasm.

Thanks 

J,

Jan 5, 15 8:35 pm
chigurh

you could start by applying to firms that specialize in the practice of architecture. 

Jan 5, 15 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

Did you mean to make a pun?

Jan 6, 15 5:47 am  · 
 · 

As always no smart remarks 

You came to the right place.

Jan 6, 15 8:15 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Did you know that "student-athlete" is a term the NCAA came up with decades ago when they were being sued by a severely injured football player? The term is somehow supposed to imply that the colleges are not responsible for injuries on the field. Checked your medical insurance lately?

Jan 6, 15 8:23 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

An "easy feet"? You might want to start with remedial English classes before they unleash you on the world.

Jan 6, 15 8:28 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

student-athlete?

Jan 6, 15 10:11 am  · 
 · 
x intern

If you don't have contacts in the real world talk to your professors about contacting some alumni.  Honestly getting a job in construction if your early in your studies would be more helpful in the long run than getting coffee and doing renderings for a firm.  Seeing how things are REALLY built vs. what you experience in a firm starting out will save you a lot of grief once you start making the decisions. 

Jan 6, 15 10:11 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

Spend a summer working construction.

Jan 6, 15 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

agree--construction. Or, there are other possibilities too if you can't work for an architect or builder. I worked for a building materials store and I assembled windows for a manufacturer (a super fun job!!). 

Jan 6, 15 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Construction Testing Firms

LBP/ACM/Environmental Firms

Any of the usual subconsultants: Structural, Civil, Survey, Geotechnical, Mechanical, Electrical, etc.

Jan 6, 15 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
allman80

Definitely talk to your professors. Get an internship somewhere. You said you want pocket change; that might not be in your near future, sadly.

I know some people who had big connections, and had a job waiting for them. I know others who had connections who had to work hard to get to the big job offers. And I know still others who are still trying to make it.

It's all about networking.

Jan 6, 15 4:27 pm  · 
 · 

Jobs that revolve around Architecture?

• maid / janitor
  • doorman
  • building superintendent
  • window washer
  • landscape maintenance
  • building inspector
Jan 6, 15 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
Cloudwalker

I have had my undergrad in the Philippines and worked for as a Structural Detailer, Graphic Artist in a publishing, Cad Operator in Construction and Engineering, Visualizer and when i came to Canada, I did Janitorial, Landscape Maintainance, and House Cleaning etc.

Jan 6, 15 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
As mentoned already. Construction would be very helpful, to get a hands on oint of view of how things are but together. Or look at obtaining a job as a drafter.

I currently work as the drafter for a marble & granite company, some of the jobs we get require me to visit construction sites for the more complex projects we get.
Jan 6, 15 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Lots of jobs.

As mentioned, construction is excellent.  Basically the end user having to read plans and you get hear what contractors really think about us.

I was "office boy" for various engineering firms.  The deliveries, typing up field notes, changing light bulbs, answering phones, sorting mail, etc.  Good for networking.

Kitchen designer.  Seriously, my sister who has no training does this now.  Lay out pre-manufactured cabinets, learn to talk to clients, and has some design. 

Jan 7, 15 10:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: