Archinect
anchor

Graduating soon - looking for a great place to start working - recommendations?

evrgreen

I'm just about out of grad school and I'm eager to get back to the real world working for an architectural firm somewhere. As I am a fan of the shotgun style of sending out applications, I will try not to limit myself geographically for potential jobs. So this is where my question lies - what firms/cities/countries would anyone recommend to find work as an interning architect? The second part of my question has to do with my nationality (Canadian) and the potential for getting a work visa in other countries for longer than 1 year. What I would hope to avoid would be going somewhere for a year to work and then moving again, I would like to work for 2-5 years someplace before thinking about moving. I'd be happy to work in Canada but ofcourse am interested in working abroad. Beggars can't be choosers - I know the job market is a tough one these days -any advice would be appreciated. Cheers. 

Jan 5, 15 1:32 pm
Archinect

Rodney - start by checking out the firms that are current hiring in our Active Employers section. 

Regarding your comment about the job market being tough right now - it's actually not. It was a year ago and earlier, but right now there is a lot of work and there are a lot of job opportunities. If you're talented and hard working you won't have any trouble finding a great job.

Jan 5, 15 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

As a fellow Canuck, the impression I've been getting is that it would be most common to pick up a Working Holiday Visa, which are typically 1-2 years. From there, if you decide to stay in the same spot I believe that translates to a simpler method of obtaining a longer work visa (2-5 years). Unless you get a firm to sponsor you (unlikely), then getting a longer working visa probably isn't possible. The beauty of the WHV is that you can get it with no strings attached and are able to work anywhere in that country, without sponsorship.

Jan 5, 15 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

Don't discount the possibility of getting sponsored - my German employer successfully sponsored me in Berlin (where skilled architects and designers abound). If you are good and your employer values your skills as something unique, you can get a 3-5 year extension on your working holiday/youth mobility visa.

Jan 5, 15 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
proto

find a sleepy town along the powder highway in BC and be the ski town architect

(that's my daydream job)

Jan 5, 15 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

Tips are unbelievable - and cash! - for waiters and barmen at trendy restaurants.

Jan 5, 15 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I can attest to Miles's claim.

Plus, the occasional chance to do lines of blow on the marble bar top!

Jan 5, 15 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
RemIsActuallyAnAutobot

This is cute...wherever you can get a job idiot

Jan 6, 15 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Stay in Canada and move to the middle of no-where Manitoba, Saskatchewan or Northern Ontario... loads of work, little available talent, and higher starting wages for those who can stomach the cold and know what they are doing. You'll be in a much better position to seek employment in fancier places once you have real work experience.

Jan 6, 15 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
evrgreen

RemIsActuallyAnAtutobot - I could walk back into a comfortable job at a firm I worked at, and I have work myself with a contractor/developer but of course these projects are under the minimum square footage for architectural stamp requirements and I wouldn't get my hours as my own boss -  just asking about what people think are good places to work and about international potential - you sound like you are stuck in a terrible/depressing job that you very, very happy with. Thanks for your worthless advice. Is that cute? 

Miles Jaffe - your advice is also staggeringly worthless and not even close to funny, if I was going for cash in hand I would drive cab, that way I wouldn't have to look at your ugly mug when I take your money and let you out by the largest puddle I can find. 

Citizen - I hope you enjoy your next several lines of blow and the stellar company you keep while doing so. 

Everyone else, your cool, thanks!

Jan 7, 15 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

thinking half the architects here are worthless is a good start towards becoming an architect!  lots of people seem to think that.  you'll have a bright future in this field when you become a worthless architect too.  good luck.

Jan 7, 15 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Miles, this kid just insulted your coffee mug. These be some fighting words I think.

Jan 7, 15 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
evrgreen

curtkram - I didn't say they were worthless, not even close, I said the advice they gave clearly was, and  most definitely a joke, so a few jokes back at them is only fair, at least where I come from, or is that too much? Tit for tat is something I am a staunch believer in. I am sure they have loads of pertinent valuable advice, I was just commenting on how it wasn't very useful. I mean, I've been a waiter before and frankly I think being a cabby involves more cash in hand. 

non sequitur - I have always loved those who just want to stir the pot - stir on son!

Jan 7, 15 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

....I think you're getting out of school at a pretty great time.  Good Luck!

Jan 7, 15 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
haruki

If you are good looking make sure to include a photo of yourself when you mail out applications. Trust me, any architecture employer would prefer to have a good looking staff. It is good for business as impresses the clients and it also helps maintain high office moral.  

Jan 7, 15 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
evrgreen

haruki - that is awesome, cheers

The parallels between being a waiter and an intern architect are starting to make themselves apparent - maybe you weren't so far off Miles and citizen.

Jan 7, 15 4:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: